ARGH!! HELP!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

ARGH!! HELP!

Post by cheriekynb »

Ok, Sid is at the Vet's today getting a bath, toe-nail clipping.. The groomer just called me to tell me his "lamb chops" are matted and she's going to thin them out for me. :( I swear, I brush him EVERY day! I use a de-matting comb, a regular comb AND one of those long tooth brushes. sigh!

OH, just to let you know, Sid LOVES the groomer, she is such a sweet girl! She's actually a licensed beautician who ALSO went to professional dog grooming school. She just doesn't have the proper equipment OR space to do a real grooming. The Vet's office is moving to a bigger location, SOON I HOPE, where she will have more space, a walk in shower, everything to her disposal. I CAN'T WAIT!

HELP ME HELP ME!! What suggestions do you have to help me with this matting!! I do NOT want to have to SHAVE him. :(
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Hey,

have you tried that spray on leave in coat conditioner stuff? I use it and it seems the help keep Millie's coat tangle free... That and using the metal comb after the undercoat rake and pin brush.

No ideas apart from that, sure someone else will help though :)
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Layla wrote:Hey,

have you tried that spray on leave in coat conditioner stuff? I use it and it seems the help keep Millie's coat tangle free... That and using the metal comb after the undercoat rake and pin brush.

No ideas apart from that, sure someone else will help though :)
ooo.. Layla, I never thought of that!! CONDITIONER!!! I'm OFF to the store! :)
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

If he is shedding right now, it could just be the loose hair getting stuck. I do know with Tess, all over her body because the hair is so thick, I actually part the hair into 1 inch sections (like people do to color their hair, if you have ever colored your hair), just because without parting it, I cannot get down to the skin. Part, the brush with the rake, part another section, then rake...it takes awhile, so we try to do this at least every other day. It seems like if Tess's undercoat is untangled, the top coat is fine. My collie is another story. Unlike most collies, she has long, thick, wirey "pants" that just looks nappy all the time. I use Cholesterol hair stuff (actually Sally Beauty supplies has their own brand that works just as well) just on her pants to help with the tangling. If nothing else, the conditioners should help with working through mats when he gets them.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh