do any of u

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

do any of u

Post by threedogjeep »

use a furminator?
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Yup. It gets rid of all that loose hair in one go. I'm a fan, it seems to help Millie stay cooler as well.
Thank you Elodie!
Deliblack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: do any of u

Post by Deliblack »

threedogjeep wrote:use a furminator?
Now dont laugh ! Whats a "furminator " ??
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Try googling it :D PM me if you want more info! I don't remember seeing them at home (England) Could be wrong :oops:
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

I use it! Simon hates it just as much as the regular brush, but it would probably work GREAT on his "problem hiny" if he would quit sitting down every time I came near it with the Furminator in my hand!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

YUP, I bought on after Layla told me about it!! They come in 3 different sizes. I LOVE THAT THING!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

j72 wrote:I use it! Simon hates it just as much as the regular brush, but it would probably work GREAT on his "problem hiny" if he would quit sitting down every time I came near it with the Furminator in my hand!
I sit cross legged on the floor & make Millie stand over me so she can't. Or I just have a hand under her tummy & stop her sitting down. :twisted: Mama that I am :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Layla wrote:
j72 wrote:I use it! Simon hates it just as much as the regular brush, but it would probably work GREAT on his "problem hiny" if he would quit sitting down every time I came near it with the Furminator in my hand!
I sit cross legged on the floor & make Millie stand over me so she can't. Or I just have a hand under her tummy & stop her sitting down. :twisted: Mama that I am :lol:
HA HA HA.. LAYLA, that's what my groomer told me to do too!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I am sure it's a great tool. But at $53 for a small and $69 for large is a bit of a high price. This is Canada. Higher prices here is the norm.

I purchased a $13 rake today, seems to work better than the slicker I have used for many years.

Karin
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I'm not promoting this site but theres a video showing a tech brushing a golden with one.
http://www.furminator.com/testbed/indexnew.html

I have a rake, and can brush and brush Jaz and I swear she still has as much hair in her coat when SHE's done as she did when I started. :roll:

How is the furminator different from a rake?
~ Sally
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I refuse to pay $64 for a medium furminator. They're made in China and why should I pay $20 more for an item that's available for $20 less in the US? Our $ is almost at par with the US $ at the moment. Next time I go across the border, I will pick one up. They better not charge duty though, I will tell them it's my hairbrush :lol:
Karin
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

It claims to get out the undercoat that's ready to shed. But leaves the outercoat. I know that lots of people have very differing ideas about them & they are pricy IMHO but I get ALOT of hair out of Millie in one go. It's cuts down on the time she has to be groomed & that make her & I happy.
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

When I first saw the furminator I thought the same thing.. "I'm not paying THAT much for a grooming tool".. But, after talking to Layla about it I decided to be cheap and buy the small one. It just takes me a little longer but it sure works, I love that thing. I even use it on Sid's paws. He seems to like it a little better then the rake. :)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I'm usually not cheap when it comes to my pets but there are limits. The two stores I go to still have them all on the shelves since March. They haven't sold a single furminator. The store clerk admitted it. I hope they will reduce the price. We pay $20 more than you in the US do. I don't live in timbuktu, I am only an hour drive from the border. It's not like they have to ship it thousands of miles.

I hate the NAFTA trade agreement. We have to pay a huge price for stuff. I will probably break down and do as cheriekynb did, buy a small one.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

About a year ago I bought this rake made by Oster. It works great!! Runs between 20-25 dollars.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I read the first post last night as I was headed out. Googled it real quick and it looked good, so I did the store locator and saw my local pet store carried it.

I stop by there, go in, find it, looked at the price and yelled "SIXTY @#$%ING DOLLARS!!!!???!!!???" Needless to say everybody looked up at me, so I quickly paid and left.

Says use after a bath, so I plan on doing a little bathing this weekend. :wink: I hate bathing them though, all they do is go outside and roll in the GA clay. :roll:
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

EEEEEEEEUUUUUUUU, I hate that clay!! I thought Sonoma County only had that stuff!! :lol:

Wait, I thought it said to only use it on dry fur. ha ha ha, you can even buy a dvd on how to use it!! NO, I didn't buy it, but :oops: I thought about it.. ha ha ha
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Yeah it says use after bathing & drying but to be honest I'm tired out after the whole bath effort so I only do it a f day or so after. Works just as well IMO :D
Thank you Elodie!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

One would think that paying over sixty dollars for *Furminator would come with a FREE dvd of operating instructions! Geez, who makes this Fuminator...Black and Decker??? :lol: :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Sher, I know huh?? HAHAHA, even the Gentle Leader came WITH the DVD. :)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

For that money it should come with doggie treats, or discount coupons for top of the line doggie kibble. I don't know about the american furminator. The ones sold in Canada are made in China.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I had an opportunity to try the Furminator today. A friend has one for her three dogs (all short haired dogs) and let me borrow hers to try to see if it worked for Tess and Tacia before even considering investing in one. I have to say, I did not care for it on Tess and Tacia. Neither dog is shedding much right now, and had both been regularly brushed so are mat free, but it still seems to snag their fur and pull. Tess, who never has an issue with being brushed (other than a minor annoyance) fought me trying to brush her with it. I do have to say, I used it on my friends dogs and on the short fur, it worked great. I also tried it on my cats, and the amount of fur that came off the cats was enough to make me consider one of the less expensive small Furminators for little dogs and cats. I think I will stick with my rake, pin brush and slicker.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Amanda, poor Tess and Tacia, you're trying to snatch them ball headed with that mean old furminator!! ;)