Tail Brushing

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Tail Brushing

Post by chowfrnd88 »

As I was walking Special this afternoon, the wind blew through hsi gorgoeus tail and it occurred to me that a whiel ago when we were all immersed in Westminster someone commented on the tails being brushed up on the backs of those chows. Well I always brush Special's tail "up" or from butt to mid-back, with the grain so to speak. Is this how you all do it? Since it just then falls or is blown into a circular fountain type style, Iwondered if maybe there was another way to brush the tail, something that would be more condusive to the "fountain" style? :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Show Chows are all reproductively intact. Their coats are much different than most chows I see on site. I have not seen a chow with flowing manes and waterfountain tails and breeches that are long. The ones I've seen do have the tail brushed over the back.

With Lily, she lays on her side with her tail fanned out behind her. I brush her away from her body, scraping the crappy, low nap carpet she is laying on. I do this both sides, and she loves it.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Ug. Jazzys tail is horrible. She won't let me brush it and so it looks like dreadlocks. Ok, maybe not that bad. I can't say its matted, because it isn't really. But there is dead hair all stuck together and intertwined with new hair, all in clumpy sections.

Her breeches and hocks are long, but again she won't let me brush them out so they don't "fluff" like I think they should. They kind of hang in squiggles (((don't know how else to describe it)))

She is starting to let me brush her mane out. It's looking better every day, but its pretty shaggy. I'd like to trim it up a bit, but scissors and jazzy don't mix well.

Soooo, any suggestions on how I can groom her better, I don't think she would take being groomed by someone else.
~ Sally
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I have always been told that you brush from the butt forward up over the back. Butters has really long tail hair so his flops down a little too. But remember that the show chows also have hairspray to keep theirs in place.!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Hairspray :shock: My goodness, I thought it was just amazing tails! I use a metal comb after brushing on Millie's and that does make it 'stand out' a little. mindyou, she just a pup still. It only really looks great when she's running (wind in her tail and all that)
Thank you Elodie!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Colonel's tail hair looks like an old worn down lamb skin duster! Anyone remember those white lamb skins on a stick?
I never had one, but I've seen them.
Colonel doesn't like his tail brushed. As a matter of fact, I don't think I would like a brush on my tail either! :shock: :lol: :lol:

We're still working on the rest of his coat. I think in few months he will look very different.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks everyone!

Auddymay, sometimes I brush the carpet too while I bruch Special. :D
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Poor JR...his tail has become an absolute mess.
All tangled and messy and seems to have really thinned out lately. I really need to get to work on it. His "ham hocks" dont look much better. This fur blowing time has been really different this season.

Cheyenne, however, has just blown up...her pantaloons are really puffy and her tail is gorgeous...all fluffed and feathered. It seems that she might be having somewhat of a psuedo heat...I will start another post on that this weekend...very strange behaviour !

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Here's a picture of Special's tail:

And here's one of his bloomers:

Sharon, that's so interetsing about Cheyenne's pseudo-heat!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Now I KNOW you all are going to laugh at me!! I thought that there was something wrong with Sid's tail and the rest of his fur, for that matter!! All the pics I see of Chows show their fur all brushed out and the tails all pretty and the manes all big and sticking out!! Sid is NOTHING like that! I keep wondering if I'm not brushing him right.
OH.. and because I'm so afraid that he's going to get mats I bought a de-matting comb and I use that on him about every other day mostly around his neck and his butt and tail.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Sid is a pup and has not gotten his adult coat yet. Ya gotta give it some time. And each pup's fur can be a little different.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

redangie24 wrote:Sid is a pup and has not gotten his adult coat yet. Ya gotta give it some time. And each pup's fur can be a little different.
I'm SO CURIOUS to see him full grown, but, at the same time... I sure do miss being able to carry him around. I carried him EVERYWHERE! Sid actually expected it, the spoiled 'rocker' that he is.. "pamper me, pamper me".. hahaha... I think sometimes he's still expecting me to carry him around. LOL geez, just like having a baby!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I comb Firesong's tail both ways, her bloomers too, she has nice long bloomers, a pretty waterfall tail and a minor mane, (when she's in full coat) She has long feathers on her front legs as well. I have a nasty trick to get to their bottoms, I put then on their leashes and then hook the leash up to something so they have to stay in one place, put one arm around their waists, so they can't sit, and brush and comb their bottoms until I have them the way I want.

I'm a mean ole mom!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Victory wrote:I'm a mean ole mom!
I though that I was but I'd not though of hooking the leash :) I made Millie stand over my leg & hold her tummy to stop her sitting whilst I brush. The sighing that comes out of her whilst if going on though :) :) :) :)
Thank you Elodie!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Victory and Layla, you are so professional! :D I've thought about doing that too. I'll have to keep that in mind. Although Special will usually just lay down and let me brush his tail area, sometimes he thinks it's an invitation to play. :lol:
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

chowfrnd88 wrote:Victory and Layla, you are so professional! :D I've thought about doing that too. I'll have to keep that in mind. Although Special will usually just lay down and let me brush his tail area, sometimes he thinks it's an invitation to play. :lol:
I think in my case it has to do with being the youngest child & constantly having to think of ways to outsmart my older siblings :twisted:
Thank you Elodie!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

LOL! Maybe I can learn some of those ways to outsmart a Chow! Jazz is such a handfull (and it sounds like she's bigger than most, at 77 lbs?) She usually wins the brushing battle.

A blower? I don't think so! Not for this girl! She runs from the vacuum so I know being blown would not hold well with her.

I wait until she's asleep then sit by her and pluck hands full of hair from her.
~ Sally
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Salandra wrote:LOL! Maybe I can learn some of those ways to outsmart a Chow! Jazz is such a handfull (and it sounds like she's bigger than most, at 77 lbs?) She usually wins the brushing battle.

A blower? I don't think so! Not for this girl! She runs from the vacuum so I know being blown would not hold well with her.

I wait until she's asleep then sit by her and pluck hands full of hair from her.
Sounds like you need to see if that courageous groomer that did HRH Pekoe will drive to CO and do Jazzy!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!