I feel so helpless right now...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

I feel so helpless right now...

Post by CHowgal »

I noticed yesterday that Jasper kept pawing at his ears and I just knew he had to have gotten water in them, so I cleaned them out and put this powder stuff that's made to dry out their ears (can't remember what it's called) in them. He stopped messing with them after that and I hoped that everything was okay.

Well, I got up this morning and I went to kiss him in the top of his head and an aweful stench hit me. It was his ears... I'm SURE he has an ear infection now, 'cause he doesn't want me touching them and he won't open his mouth any more than about an inch.

I feel so bad for him, and I know he needs to go to the vet but I have NO transportation to get there until Saturday, 'cause both of my parents leave between 6:30 and 6:45 in the morning and don't get home until about 8:30 to 9:30 at night. Our vet closes at 6 pm... and the only vet that is open after that is the emergency vet that's over an hour away. Ugh! And I know how much pain he must be in and I just don't know what to do for him until we can get him seen...

This just sucks all around... I can't drive. Everybodies at work. I have no money as it is...

I don't know what to do for him...? :cry:
Jess
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I feel so helpless right now...

Post by Mailie's Mom »

Oh Jess! I am so sorry, I wish I lived nearby to help you. Listen, do you have a good relationship with your veterinarian? Do you think if you called them they would prescribe medication for Jasper without seeing him (sometimes they will if it is a reoccurring problem). If so, I have a way to help you. Send me a private message I will give you the details. Let us know.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
woof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by woof »

Hi CHowgal-Sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like Jasper definitely has an ear infection. (Black has had many in the right ear). I agree with Mailie's mom--maybe if you call the vet they would still perscribe something in the interim, especially if he is a patient there. (i.e. antibiotic and a low dose anti-inflammatory--the latter will make him a lot more comfortable). If they won't do that, then I wonder if you could let them know that you are without transportation and see if they have any ideas. Some vets here do a pick-up service--not sure if they would organize this. Also, there is always your local cab company. I have had to call around for cabs that would take Black as we only have one car and it has been a necessity; I always find one and he has been in the cab with me a lot! Good luck--let us know how you get on...
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Thanks y'all.
Sadly, we only resently switched to this vet that we go to now. She's closer to home, but she's only seen Jasper once, and that was for vaccinations. If our old vet hadn't moved out of state we would still be taking them to her. And since she was a family friend she would make a house call for us. (She did that for our cat when she was having kittens one time.)

But the issue with a cab is that I don't have any money...
Jess
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Is there a family friend that could drive you? An Aunt, Uncle, or Grandparent? As for the money, your parents need to understand this is painful for Jasper, and they need to pony up. If you need to find a way to pay them back (not sure how your parents regard such things), you should offer a re-payment plan.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Jess - how about your local pharmacist - here on The Island the pharmacists are very helpful for human things and very often a visit to the local pharmacy can save having to phone up for an appointment to see the doctor.

I once consulted the local pharmacist about something for M or M - and I am blowed if I can remember now #-o - anyway he was very helpful, that much I do remember.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Auddymay wrote:Is there a family friend that could drive you? An Aunt, Uncle, or Grandparent? As for the money, your parents need to understand this is painful for Jasper, and they need to pony up. If you need to find a way to pay them back (not sure how your parents regard such things), you should offer a re-payment plan.
Money isn't the issue except that my dad is 2 1/2 hours away and my mom is 3 hours away. They're both working and won't be home until between 8:30 and 9:30 pm, and I have NO money on me at the moment. Sadly there isn't a family friend or relative that can take me. They're all working up in Atlanta. I'm babysitting my cousins right now, too. I've got 4 cousins here ranging between 5-14. And my mom knows if she pays for something like the vet now that I have a "summer job" that I'll pay her back, but today's the first day that I've "babysat" so I'll be getting about $80. My mom knows how much pain he's in, she heard him cry out when he tried to bark at my aunt pulling into the driveway.

It's killing me to see Jazz like this, he doesn't even want to play with Ryan like usual... :cry:
Jess
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

How about one of your liscenced classmates? Also, call the vet, and explain the situation. They may be able to work out a solution with you.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

I called about an hour ago. The woman that answered said that she'd need to see Jasper before they could prescribe anything... :-x

Joe was the only friend I had who would've take me up there with Jazz... but he can't do it.
Jess
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Here's a helpful home remedy til you get to the vet.

mix together a solution of;

1/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup 97% alcohol
1/3 cup water

Shake it up well before each use. Using a syringe, put .6 ml into each ear twice per day.
Massage it down the ear canal by holding the tips of the ear upward with one hand and
massaging the lower back of ear. Then....he will shake it out the best he can! LOL

I hope this helps.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Thank you Bama. :) I'll try it.
Jess
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

One more thing...

If he has been able to scratch the inside of his ear, he may have cut his skin.
This solution will burn. So, if that is the case, go a bit easier on the alcohol
or be ready with some olive oil on your thumb to rub onto the scratches to sooth them.
If you have Aloe vera gel, this would be soothing to the scratches, however in either
case you want to wipe the excess away, because ultimately we want the ears to dry up.
I also cut away ear hair, so that bacteria has no extra breeding ground.
I hope this helps.

Also, give him some *Ascription for pain. It come in a 350 mg tablet.
Give him 1/2 tablet in the morning and the other half at night.
Try to get something on his stomach when you give it to him.
Also, if he can't sleep at night, try 1/2 of a children's *Dramamine.
Poor baby is miserable.
You can wrap these tablets in peanut butter.
Remember, these remedies are only to help, they will not cure an infection. You will need antibiotics.
Last edited by bama on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Thank you. From what I can tell, he hasn't been able to scratch the inside of his ear. But I'll be prepared just incase.

Thanks agian. :)
Jess
woof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by woof »

How are you and Jasper doing tonight? :-)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Jess, do you have an update for us?
I don't expect the ear wash to cure the infection, however it may help prevent it from worsening,
and offer some relief. Of course, he's not going to like having fluid in his ears.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

oh Jess, I am sorry to hear what is going on Any update?

David
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Sorry about the delayed update, I couldn't get to a computer yesterday, I was at my cousin's house babysitting again (I had Jazzy with me too) and I had everybody at the pool (no swimming for Jasper though).

Well, we finally got Jazz to the vet last night. He's on his meds and on the mend. So far today I haven't noticed him shacking his head or pawing at his ears like he's been doing, so I guess he's feeling better.

Sorry this is so short, Things here are busy busy busy, though.
Jess
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am glad everyting is better, you may want to start up an separte savings account for cab fair, then when this happens again you can call a cab and hopefully get the furkids in earlier and cause less stress for yourself and the furkids

David
jandjlovechows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jandjlovechows »

wow everyone was so wonderful to this person with Jasper. I was on pins and needles reading and am so happy to hear that Jazzy is doing better.

I am amazed at the dog's name. We just adopted two dogs in march, one a chow and the other a mix we think either golden retriever/chow or golden retriever/charpei. At any rate, the chow's name is Jasper and I call him Jazz or Jazzy for short as I am a Jazz singer myself. I thought it was very coincidental! And by the way this website and the forums are FANTASTIC. I visited here before adopting these dogs just to learn some things because I was afraid due to the reputation of the chow. Amazingly people were discussing the girl who rescued these two: deb at second chance rescue. She is wonderful, and gave us our new family. So between this forum and deb, we learned alot and Jazzy is the most warm friendly dog his "stubbornness" is easily overcome with our love, he just aims to please and that desire wins over the stubbornness every time! (treats help too). Of course he pretends to be regal but his wiggilng tail gives him away every time. And then he smiles, he really does! He loves to be groomed, hose shampoo and then we cannot finish until he is blown dry. He is quit the glamor guy. Thank you everyone for participating in this forum. John and I will be active here I imagine for as long as we are able. (our other dog is Sammy) -Joyce
Attachments
Our boys
Our boys
jasper and sammy.jpg (46.87 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment and start a new topic to introduce yourself. Your Chows are beautiful, and we look forward to getting to know you all.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Jess,

I am so glad to hear that Jazz is doing better. You are such a good chowmom to be so worried about him. Bless you!

Joyce,

Please do start a new thread to introduce yourself and your furkids. They are beautiful and welcome to forum!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Thank you everybody. :D I'm glad to have my boy back to his happy, hyper self. :lol: We took him to Petsmart when he was back to himself for a little meet and greet time. He was so happy to have people petting him.

Hi Joyce,
That is a coincidence that we both have Jaspers. :lol: Welcome to the forum!. :D

Jess
Jess