General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

a very late intro

Post by jacqui »

hi all,
I name is jacqui and although I have been registered here for 2 yrs,I'm embarresed to say I really didn't know how to use a forum.I am computer illerate,I have no idea how to put pics on here,I wish I could.
I have loved chows all my life and I've had five in the last 23 yrs.2 rough males,2 smooth females and 1 smooth baby boy.in the last year I lost my beauitful 10 yr old male to bone cancer, then I got a smooth baby boy who just died in july of a heart condition.he had surgery at 5 months old and lived 11 months after surgery.we knew he wasn't going to live long but the dr. estimated 2-4 yrs.he died at 16 months old.I have not stopped crying for over a year.it has been the saddest year of my life.
I had forgotten about this forum and I found it again,thank God.it you all have help me so much,just by reading this forum has kept me going and it feels good to have a connection to other chow people.so I just want to thank everyone.
jacqui
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry - it is so difficult to lose a beloved dog and to then lose the young one too. :(
Just be comforted in the fact that you have given your chow chows the love and care they deserve and they are now out of pain in The Happy Hunting Grounds.

"Say not in grief they are no more but in thankfulness they were." :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

You have found a place here where your love of chows and your grief of loss is understood. Stick around!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I'm so sorry for your loss...
You are in good company, stick around and chat with us....I'm a computer DAAAA too, so if I can do it :D you can do it too........ :D

Hey, maybe its time for a new baby???? If its been a year........they have lots of nice little rescues who would love to have a good mommy rescue them and HEY maybe one can rescue you right back :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

no,I lost my 10 yr old boy in april 2006,and I just lost my baby july 2007.I do have a very sweet smooth little girl,chyna,who misses her boys very much.she is a very quiet and low key 5 yr old.I need more time before I get a new boy.my heart is just broken.I know I will want another boy sometime.its nice having 2 chows.I am afraid of a rescue because chyna is so sweet,I'm afraid an older boy might hurt her.all my chows have been great with other dogs but you hear stories about bringing anew dog in and I know chyna will not stand up for herself.I wouldn't be afraid of a pup with her.if I didn't have a chow I would take a rescue.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I am so sorry for your loss. This is a place where you will find compassionate people.

Take your time to grieve and when you are ready you can look for a companion for your girl.

We have had very good luck with rescued chows and chow mixes and non chow mixes who think they are chows. When you are ready, there are many people on this site who can help.
courtsey of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I'm sorry I didn't realize that you just lost your baby. I read it as you lost him in the last year.As last year,,,,
I know it is heartbreaking to loss one of your babies. You take all the time you need :cry:
Hang out with us we do understand.......and will help any way we can.

Thanks Sweetpea!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thank you for listening.you are all very kind and compassionate.I am not opposed to a rescue,he would just have to be young.I would love to save a pup.
I just can't stop thinking of my puppy,kito.he was so young and the best little boy a mom could ask for.he was always so happy,even though he was sick.I miss him so much,I'm sorry to be a downer.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Your not being a downer, I have a rescue puppy that is 5 mos old and I would be heartbroken if something happened to her, so I do understand.....I'm sure everyone here understands and feels for you. Thats what we are all here for. [:D]

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I can't imagine losing such a young thing. My "baby" is 8 and has bone cancer. It's all so terrible.
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

it is terrible.my 10 yr old boy died of bone cancer.he really had a high tolerance for pain(as most chows do) he only lived one day after being diagnosed.even when you have some notice that the end is near its still a shock,you are never prepared for it.some people said to me when kito(the baby)died,'well you knew he wasn't going to live long'.yes I knew,but I had the greatest hope he would a least live 2 yrs.it was so hard wacthing a little boy dying.its hard enough when they are older.I'm sorry your pup has bone cancer,my boys was fast moving.I hope you have some quality time with him.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Hi welcome to the group. I am new here as well and just lost my 14 yr old baby less then two weeks ago. It seems many if not most on here have suffered losses and everyone is very compassionate. I found some solice here and hopefully you will too. It helps being with those who understand your grief and share it even if it is through a computer screen.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Welcome Laura. You're right. This is a great group. So far so good with my girl Sullivan. It's about 6 weeks since the diagnosis and she's back to her old self with 50 mg. of deramaxx. I know it's deceptive but she's doing stuff she hasn't done in years. She's always been a diva, so she's enjoying her chance to do anything she wants. I'm a teacher so it's going to be very hard to leave her during the day. The kids love her (I'm special ed so I'll have many of the same kids this year) and she Loves kids. My building is also very dog friendly so I hope to bring her a few times. I'll probably have to bring all 3 though -- could be tricky.
courtsey of Sweetpea
newguy18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newguy18 »

so sorry to hear/read of your loss, but re-welcome to the forum
what was wrong with the little 16 mo old?
Image:Thanks Sweetpea!
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

its a very long story but,I had him 1 week and he was diagnosed with a heart condition called pulmonic stenosis.such a severe case that the first cardilogist would not do surgery.the 2nd dr wanted to do sugery and told us he should live 2-4 yrs.he would have died in 2-4 months without surgery.he was a little fighter and he wanted to live. the breeder offered to take him back but we loved him and wanted to give him a chance.it was a miricle he lived thru surgery.he had about 7 good months.he loved walks and in the winter we would walk for miles.we could see when he was having trouble breathing.I don't reget any of it,I just am sad because he was so young.he had one birthday.and he was such a great little guy,always happy,wagging his tail while he ate,could not have asked for a sweeter baby.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I'm gonna repeat what our Judy said....One of the most beautiful sayings I have ever heard.....
"Say Not In Grief They Are No More But In Thankfulness They Were" Sounds like that is exactly what you are doing very thankful for the time you had....he sounds like he was a wonderful baby boy

Thanks Sweetpea!
Lise Carreno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lise Carreno »

Oh, my heart is breaking for you.
Although I am new to this board, I can sense the greatest warmth and acceptance. Chowpents are unique people who truly appreciate the miracle and fun of chows.
Feel free to express whatever grief you need as often as you need, because I think all of us can truly understand your feelings.
Mia
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thank you for your support.theres more to the story which makes me angry.chynas breeder hooked me up with kitos breeder.I flew down to pick up kito and drove 20 hrs home with him because he was too big to carry on the plane.we find out about his heart problem and now the breeder whats nothing to do with us.but even worse chyna has some medical issues and her breeder doesn't want to hear this.why are breeders so defensive.they say 'call me with any questions'but they really don't want to know about the medical stuff.I have never complained about anything,I just want info on chows.aren't they the experts?well now they have gotten together and told me I have muchausens syndrome and they have talked to other breeders and one one is going to sell me another chow.how can I make up these kinds of problems.they are all very real and the drs can attest to that.I am so hurt.people can be os mean.I love my chows and they have all had chow problems,but I take excellent care of them.I've loved everyone of them with all my heart.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

What jerks! :evil:

All you need is the vet's report. It's always such a pain to go after people, but it sounds like you have a good case.

Once people on this site read about your problem, you should get some good advice.

Good luck.
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I have to thank you all so much for being there.I have felt better being able to talk about this.I can't stop thinking about the whole thing.I have been thinking about a rescue at some point.everyone here has seemed to have good luck.we really do need a boy.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

All three of our dogs are rescues or shelter dogs. They've all been great and healthy to this point. From what I've been reading, it's as likely that Sullivan has bone cancer because she's a chow rather than whatever she's mixed with. Although, there have been many long-lived chows on this site as well.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Can I suggest that you look for another boy now! It is the best way, in my mind of weathering the grief of the loss of a beloved companion. The loss can be so overwhelming and the anticipaation of looking for another boy will make you feel so much better.
You will never forget the "old guy" and when you get "the new guy", you will then be able to smile and laugh about how it was with the "old guy".
Believe, me - I have done it many times over the years. :) [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

judy,thank you,
you are right about looking,my heart isn't really in it,but my boyfriend is pushing.he knows me too well.getting a baby does keep your mind busy.I have been looking on petfinder,but some of the boys are too far away.and I noticed that some shelters what the dogs to stay local.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

This site has a pretty good "underground railroad" system. :) Truly, I know everyone will help no matter the location.
courtsey of Sweetpea
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: a very late intro

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

jacqui wrote: I have loved chows all my life and I've had five in the last 23 yrs.2 rough males,2 smooth females and 1 smooth baby boy.in the last year I lost my beauitful 10 yr old male to bone cancer, then I got a smooth baby boy who just died in july of a heart condition.he had surgery at 5 months old and lived 11 months after surgery.we knew he wasn't going to live long but the dr. estimated 2-4 yrs.he died at 16 months old.I have not stopped crying for over a year.it has been the saddest year of my life.
havent read through everyones response, I am sure other folks on here have told you by now how to put pics on. They are great like that. :-) And don't feel bad it took me nearly 2 years to find out too. (Been a member that long but with another name)
It brought back memories of my Jubilee when I read about your smooth boy. I know how you feel. Its as bad as losing a child of your own flesh and blood isn't it. some may not understand that, but it is. I lost Jubilee to a hiatal hernia. He had the surgery at 4 mo and wasn't expected to live past 1 year. He lived to be almost 2. There are other mysteries surrounding his death that involve my ex husband but the loss was overwhelming. Then I lost my beloved Gade 3 years later at the mere age of 7.5. What I am trying to say is, I feel your pain.
I'm glad you posted. I hope your heart can mend each day knowing that you gave him your all. He may have died young, but if you loved him every day like it was his last he lived a life better than most any. Keep that in your heart.