i have some questions can someone help

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

i have some questions can someone help

Post by lola chow »

questions are non chow
1. why are flowers called flowers
2.why do different plants need different climates
3.why are plants different sizes
any help is gladly received xxxxxx
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: i have some questions can someone help

Post by Victory »

the origin of the word flower is from the latin, and then old French means the best of anything; as below
Origin:
1150–1200; ME flour flower, best of anything < OF flor, flour, flur < L flōr- (s. of flōs). Cf.

Plants evolved in different climates, just as animals do/did and therefore do better in the climate that their genes are used to.
The size is also determined by their genetics. From grass to giant trees each plant occupies a niche in the environment determined by its place in the ecosystem. The science of genetics started with plants after all and continues to this day in the attempts to modify crops to be more disease resistant and more nutritious. In many ways plant husbandry is probably the oldest of all sciences as primitive humans began to modify plants as soon as they started to till them to improve their growth. Those ancient humans were pretty smart, domesticating plants and animals with no instruction manuals.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Why do you ask Lola Chow?!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I was just going to ask that - it sounds like a homework question to me. I hope your not cheating!!!!! :roll: :shock: :wink: :wink:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Victory gives the right and proper scientific answer. :)

She has, however, missed out the real reason why they are different sizes.

The real reason is that the flower fairies are different sizes so they need flowers to suit their size. For example the harebell fairy is a very delicate fairy so she needs a very delicate flower. The clover fairy is a little tubby girl fairy so she in turn needs a nice tubby little flower and the bindweed fairy is a much bigger girl fairy so she needs a bigger flower as does the daffodil fairy.

The colours of the flowers are designed to match the fairies' dresses. :wink:

I am also convinced that Chow Chows can talk to the flower fairies - Milly and Mabel love to stop by a flower and they uff and puff and harrumph so I think they are saying hello to the fairy in that particular flower.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hmmm.....Just what are they putting in the water in Cheshire Judy? :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Nothing - it is true - seriously! :wink: Don't you believe in the Flower Fairies? :shock: You surely must have seen some Harebell fairies up their over the border - 'course - you probably call them bluebells up there! :lol:
You ask Bramble - she will know the Bramble Fairy - Cicely Mary Barker called her the Blackberry Fairy but the flowers grow on a bramble don't they? \:D/

P.S. Sorry Maxine - Victory is so right but I love the Flower Fairies - sorry for hijacking your post. :) O:) :silenced:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I believe in flower fairies.
O:) O:) O:)

If this is a homework assignment, I hope the flower fairy explanation makes the grade! =D= =D=
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Our place is full of all manner of pixies and faeries...
Attachments
normal_autdance.jpg
normal_autdance.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

thanks guys these are my 8 year olds home work questionsxx and yes i am cheating because i or her didnt have a clue ,
and i will have a pint of what judys been on lol :D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

That would be a dose of childhood innocence... :wink: . I'll take a double dose, thank you! Seriously, ever sit at night in the summer and watch Lightening bugs? Yep, faeries in disguise.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

There must be fairies because Cinder is always talking to and chasing things that are invisible to the human eye. I assume doggie senses are so much better she can see them and I can't.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Auddymay wrote:That would be a dose of childhood innocence... :wink: . I'll take a double dose, thank you! Seriously, ever sit at night in the summer and watch Lightening bugs? Yep, faeries in disguise.
I really miss Lightening bugs...there aren't ANY on the West Coast...in fact I miss a lot of the bugs from the East Coast...very dull and drab bugs in CA except for the potato bug...I really like them! I could use a triple dose of childhood mentality about now! Thanks for the step back in time when I used to catch them at night and watch the speed at which they turned on and off as a result of the warmth of my hands.
jonathanfsu1 wrote:Instead of doing it for him, show him the tools to find the info and then sit down with him and discuss the questions and choose the relevant info...Prompt/guide him to be more independent....Just an observation...
Great idea...
Jennifer & Sheena