My Baby Allie

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Baby Allie

Post by DOHMAN »

New to the board but not to Chows :) My family have had them all my life and it was finally time for me to get my own. I just got my little angel 3/22/08 and loving her very much. She is doing very wonderful with house training so far. I let my g/f have her for a night and she didn't hear her whining to go out at about 3am so she went potty on her bed :shock: Other than that she lets me know when she wants to go out.

She was born on 1-15-08 so that makes her almost 9 weeks old. She seems to not have a lot of energy. Lays around mostly on wood and tile floors. Although she will do carpet if I am in my office. She likes to chew on my socks which I am trying to break her of. She also does not like to be in the cage when I leave or at night. She whines real loud and makes it VERY hard to sleep. Anyone know how long it takes to break them of this? Other than these few little things she is just a little angel. Loves affection and loves other dogs. The GF has 2 goldens that think she is their puppy. They love to play, lay and lick her to death lol.

Is her being lazy normal? I thought my chow puppies in the past loved to play but then again I was a lot younger.

Here are a few of her pictures :)
ariel2.jpg
ariel2.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My Baby Allie

Post by DOHMAN »

Attachments
ariel.jpg
ariel.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

Attachments
ariel3.jpg
ariel3.jpg (20.96 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Welcome! She's an absolute doll! I believe it's normal for puppies her age to mostly want to sleep. My mix Jasper slept a lot when we got him. But as for the crating situation, try to make it her favorite place to be. Treats, favorite toys, and maybe even something that has your sent might help. Hope this helps! :D
Jess
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

also put the crate where she can see someone or something, she's just a little baby and not used to being alone for long periods of time. And eating, sleeping and mild playing is normal at this age. In two months you'll wish she was still sleeping....toddler stage is SO much fun!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

DOHMAN wrote: She seems to not have a lot of energy. Lays around mostly on wood and tile floors....Is her being lazy normal? I thought my chow puppies in the past loved to play but then again I was a lot younger.
Has she been wormed lately?

DOHMAN wrote:She whines real loud and makes it VERY hard to sleep. Anyone know how long it takes to break them of this?
She's just a baby, and terrified of being alone/separated from her 'pack'.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Here's a thread you might be interested in...

Link: "DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES & SOCIALIZATION "
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9640
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

WELCOME, She is beautiful.

David
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

kiwani wrote:
DOHMAN wrote: She seems to not have a lot of energy. Lays around mostly on wood and tile floors....Is her being lazy normal? I thought my chow puppies in the past loved to play but then again I was a lot younger.
Has she been wormed lately?

DOHMAN wrote:She whines real loud and makes it VERY hard to sleep. Anyone know how long it takes to break them of this?
She's just a baby, and terrified of being alone/separated from her 'pack'.

Her crate is right next to my bed which lays on the floor. So she is literally 2 feet away from me.
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

Se is gorgeous!!!! :D :D

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

DOHMAN wrote:Her crate is right next to my bed which lays on the floor. So she is literally 2 feet away from me.
At nine weeks of age, your pup is in her first 'fear imprint' phase. Her brain is busy wiring the flight/fight response. Being in a crate two feet away from you, is not the same as sleeping in a pile with her littermates. It may help to give her a large furry stuffed toy in the crate, along with one of your soiled teeshirts, to help comfort her with your scent.

She may also still have her days and nights mixed-up. Exercising her too close to bedtime can delay her falling asleep. It also helps to dim lights before going to bed, to start her nightime brain chemistry flowing (melatonin).

How long before bedtime does she have her evening meal?
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Oh, my...what an adorable little girl!! Welcome!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chris

Post by chris »

oh man, she is way to cute
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

I think you are right. Last night at 3am she had her nightly wakeup to go potty. When we get back in every single time she is just as hyper as hyper can be. She wants to play and be a puppy. This time I left her out of the cage because I needed sleep because I had some important meetings today. Well insead of whining in the cage she whined at the door trying to get out of my room.

As I type this she has been sleeping since 7 am and its 2pm. How do I correct her sleeping habits?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

DOHMAN wrote:I think you are right. Last night at 3am she had her nightly wakeup to go potty. When we get back in every single time she is just as hyper as hyper can be. She wants to play and be a puppy. This time I left her out of the cage because I needed sleep because I had some important meetings today. Well insead of whining in the cage she whined at the door trying to get out of my room.

As I type this she has been sleeping since 7 am and its 2pm. How do I correct her sleeping habits?
If you don't establish a routine, her bodyclock won't be synchronized to the circadian rhythm of the environment. If she's sleeping *so* much in the day, her body is *using-up* her nightime chemistry (melatonin) and shortchanging her at night. When sunlight enters light receptors in the body, the nightime chemistry *clicks-off* and then *clicks-on* into daytime chemistry. The daytime chemistry feeds the nightime chemistry.

Also, if she's spending most of daytime under dimmer indoor lights, the nightime chemistry doesn't completely shut-off and just drains. Sunlight sets the bodyclock and synchronizes it with the circadian rhythm.

Excerpt:
WHEN WILL MY PUPPY SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT? Create a bedtime ritual -
a pattern of behavior
that is consistent
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/sleeping.html