aggressive only with female dogs

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

aggressive only with female dogs

Post by suzzane72 »

So, our Chewie is currently in the adoption section for reasons other than my post here. Still, I'm curious if anyone can help. Chewie (1.5 y/0 spayed female chow) is knock down drag out aggressive with other female dogs. The issue began with my Mom's spayed female pug mix. When Chew was approx. 3 mo. old my Mom's dog began to challenge her. Everyone got a "time out" when this occurred (ie removal from play/fun). As Chewie grew and seemed to realize she was the bigger girl, the squabbles turned into fights. Chewie is bigger and does not take "uncle" for reason to stop. Chewie and pug do not play together anymore. I should add that we have a neutered male pug mix that is very dominant and Chewie thinks this is just dandy. They have squabbled a time or two, but after "time out" go back to being best buds. Enter Daisy, our black lab. Chewie and Daisy got along well, with a long introduction, until Daisy was approx. 5 months. Daisy is very submissive and rolls to her back at Chewie's slightest command. At that 5 month mark Chewie began attacking her. Not a put you in your spot attack, a I'm going to rip off your face attack (unfortunately Daisy has scars). We are currently playing musical dogs, with Chewie in the house the majority of the time. Perhaps, two examples of aggressive behavior don't make a pattern, but we haven't been willing to risk injury to Chewie or another girl to find out. My vet referred us to dog behavior expert at Texas A&M (haven't called yet). Any suggestions? Or is this simply part of Chewie's way to be.
Auddymay

Re: aggressive only with female dogs

Post by Auddymay »

Females sometimes do not tolerate other females. Once your lab was no longer a puppy in the Chow's eyes, she became an adversary, regardless to the fact that your Lab is submissive. I have that dynamic in my home as well. But here, I am the alpha, and I don't tolerate much shenanigans from the bossy girl. It remains to be seen if yours would challenge a female who is clearly an alpha. Sometimes, attacks are struggles to assert dominance in the pack and have nothing to do with the *Censored Word*. When an animal who is unconfident is put with an animal of equal or lower stature, there is likely to be fighting. When put with a confident alpha, the less confident beta will be all good, and know better than to challenge.

It is also to do with the humans in the family. That is why the poster before you warned you to be cautious. Breeds such as the Chow, and most of the sled dog breeds, need a different strategy when being raised than the average dog. They are bred to be independent, and can spot an unconfident or unassertive human from a distance. They will take full advantage of the situation; usually before the human realizes the Chow is manipulating them, the 'damage' is done. Another scenerio is the human who encounters a Chow and tries to dominate them by physical means and ends up getting bit themselves when the Chow can't take it anymore.

I hope I wasn't too wordy to get my point across.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I have no idea what the problem could be, so I'll throw out a couple thoughts here...

Another poster on here (vicster) had problems with her two female Chows wanting to rip each others face's off. She went through vet bills and segregation with them for quite some time. Only recently did the two get to spend time together. I think some of it might've been because they got spayed. Hormones are not friendly.

Could be the pugs are part of the problem. When I lived in an apartment with only Bear, there was a pug that would walk by our place all the time. If Bear was out on the patio I thought he would tear down the railings to get at that pug. He HATED that dog with a passion and Bear's a lover not a fighter. I don't know if the pug was male or female...it never stuck around long enough to see. He also hates little white poodles (we learned that at the apartment and the dog park). He's cool with any other dog.

In my house we have two females...Samantha is about 10 and she's very set in her ways. Ping is about 3 and a little crazy. Ping loves to instigate little fights (nothing serious) with everyone. Sammy will play along until she's had enough and then she lets Ping have it...that can get loud and intense, but it's all show so far. I always think Ping has some sort of chemical inbalance because of the way she acts...she's skittish sometimes and very lovable other times. Can Chows be bi-polar?

I'd say if the behaviorist at A&M knows how to deal with Chows, it's worth a shot. If they only know dogs, it's a waste of time/effort.

And as Auddymay stated, Chows do require an alpha in the house (that's me) or they will play you like a fiddle.
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Thank you for the suggestions. Daisy is not altered, but will be going for her spay in short order (I have no excuse, should have been done months ago). We actually had all 3 dogs in the house last night (family time :))! Chewy wore her pretty muzzle (must be comfy she doesn't even paw at it) and completely ignored Daisy. Bliss. We will continue to make an effort to reintegrate our dogs. A lesson for us in not giving up because its easier. Still doesn't solve the "Mom's pug problem" and a host of other relocation issues as we move. As for Alpha's, none of our dogs have ever challenged myself, my husband or our kids. We never use physical punishment with any of our pets and its rare a voice is raised, but have managed to instill respect, at least for the humans. Just an aside for Chewie's good points with people...I have a lovely step daughter that is now 12, she's with us only during the summer. Last summer, prior to her visit with us, she was bitten by a chow. It was a nasty bite around her eye and required emergency surgery and additional plastic surgery. In spite of her fear of Chew (ie same kinda dog), Chewie was her same pleasant self when our daughter came for her visit. They continue to get along well. Chow chow are a very unique breed and I was woefully ignorant when we brought her into our home. Thank you to all in helping to better care for Chewie.