Permission needed

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Permission needed

Post by fillyok »

A couple weeks ago I started working on a calendar...not like the beautiful one chowfrnd88 puts out, but a simple one. I thought about it when Sean brought up the fact he was starting a rescue called savingchows. I only used photos of Chows that I'm pretty sure were rescued. I also tried to include all the birthdays from the on-line calendar, but I'm sure I'm missing a lot from November and December.

Sooo, what I need is permission to use some of your beautiful photos. I'd also like everyone to look through the dates below and update it or tell me if you'd rather not be included. I'm using some software that doesn't allow me to save the photos to share so I'm planning on ordering one calendar so I can scan it in and share it here. I'll also be able to make changes since I'm only ordering one. I'll take orders and the profits will go to Sean's rescue. The calendar will start Jan 2008. Do you think $20 is too expensive for a calendar like this?

Here're some of the names that I know I used in the calendar: Sophie (cover and Oct), Troy, Maxwell, Yoshi, Colonel, Marshall, Solo, Lucky, Shiloh, Jazzy, JR, Cheyenne, Gracie, Mikki, Etta James, Kearra, Pekoe, Special Dark, and Benny. I know there are a few names I can't recall from the photos, but I'm almost positive they were all rescues. I've also included my Bear, Ping and Samantha.

Here're the dates I've compiled from the on-line calendar:
Jan
8 Mr Nahkohe
21 Onyx & Mr Bigz
29 Sadie

Feb
7 Diego
10 Special Dark
14 Firesong
16 Pekoe Sammy & Lucy
17 Ember Flame
23 Miah
25 Gabbana
27 Max-A-Million

Mar
6 Lily May
7 Nanuk
10 Gracie
11 Kyra
14 Bailey Kaspur & Leela
26 Dagas
28 Mei Mei

Apr
3 Cody
6 Pip Luna & Jazzy
10 Cheyenne Colonel Jake & Tess
14 Benny
15 Darkwind
17 Cabo
19 Saydee
25 Caesar
27 Magda

May
1 Asa
4 Tippsy
8 Zoey
11 Murphy
15 Precious
16 Ziyear
20 Irish
24 Fidel

Jun
5 Shiloh
6 Lily & Miss Pooh Bear
9 Butters
27 Lucky

Jul
2 Tiger
4 Ginger Lily & Dreamdancer
8 Simon
14 Bliss
15 Cayenne
26 Kearra
31 Belle

Aug
5 Asti
14 Princess Ivana
19 Chi-Ching & Mai Tai
20 Sophie
25 Cody
27 Lucy
28 Samantha
29 Coco
31 Bear

Sep
1 Ping
12 Steel

Oct
12 Chewie
19 Nikita
20 Millie

Nov
1 Mikki

This is what I planned on putting on the back cover. Suggestions are very welcome!!

Savingchows.com is an organization brought to life by someone who knows the true love of a Chow. The savingchows mission is to rescue abandoned, unwanted, and neglected Chows. No Chow should ever experience the abuse and neglect that some of the Chows in this calendar have known. Each of the Chows in this calendar has his or her own story. Thanks to the wonderful people that rescued them, they'll never have to worry about having a safe place to live again.

This calendar is dedicated to the Chows that we have loved and have gone on to the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again...

Please let me know if you'd rather not be included and I can edit the draft I have. Otherwise, I plan on sending it in around the end of September to get printed. Supposedly this company has great calendars and a good turn-around time. Thanks for your help on this.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

That's a great idea, and I think $20 is perfectly reasonable... well, at least to us.

PM me your address, and I'll scoot you some high res copies on disc of whatever you need. :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Yes, yes I agree $20 sounds very reasonable. I can't wait! We're honored you are using a pic of Special Dark too.

I just sent you an email with the rest of the birthdays that I have for the other months, I hope my emails aren't going to junk mail folder. :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxwell and Yoshi will be honored to be in the calendar. I think 20.00 is a good price. Keep me posted. I have no clue when they were born but Maxwell was adopted on feb 24th and Yoshi on March 25th and I got him on the 30th. I didn't realize they were so close but knowing how sweet Maxwell is I am sure why I jumped at another, even if he is a yoshi monster.

David
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

$20, I'd pay $20. What a lovely idea. If you need a good picture PM me and I can sift through and find one to email you.
SweetPea Rocks!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

The price is reasonable -especially since it's for a good cause. Not sure if you are using any pictures of my two, but if you do, you have my permission. Shiloh is a "rescue" but Mr. N is not.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I think $20 is very reasonable and I am also honored that you would want to use Kyra in the calendar. And a GREAT CAUSE TOO :D :D
Kearra wasn't a rescue though.......Kyra was.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Lovely idea! Sounds great :D
Thank you Elodie!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

What a wonderful idea!!!
Not only are you smart, you are
very thoughtful.
I think $20 is very reasonable, maybe too
reasonable? I say that because I paid
$25 last year for a calendar that I had
made of my furkids and grandpuppies.
I'm hoping that you have factored in
what it is going to cost you?

Anyway, that being said...
Yes, I am honored that you would include
Colonel in your calendar!
If you need any more photos...
would it be helpful to start
a thread in the photos section and ask for
them, so they are all together for you?
Just a thought. I will shut up now! :lol: :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Have you thought about doing a ya know monthly, where you could pick 12 rescues, include photo and a short story of their rescue for each month. There are enough rescues on here that you could make a couple years worth of articles. You could use the others as just filler pictures if you wanted more chow for the buck. Just a thought!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I think it sounds like a great idea...I usually end up paying about $20 a year on calenders anyway, it would be great to know the money was going towards something good...besides, who wouldn't want a calendar of some of the most beautiful chows ever!

I don't know if you have enough, but if you need anymore rescues, Tess was a rescue also.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I agree,I think thats a great idea!!! I buy a calendar every year too and would love to buy one that the money goes towards helping rescue and would love having a Calendar every year that has some of the Chows that I know and love on it.....Wouldn't it be nice if we could look at our calendars and know the Chow for the month and their rescue story??? We could even buy them for Christmas Presents for our family and friends....... :idea:

Thanks Sweetpea!
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

vicster605 wrote:I agree,I think thats a great idea!!! I buy a calendar every year too and would love to buy one that the money goes towards helping rescue and would love having a Calendar every year that has some of the Chows that I know and love on it.....Wouldn't it be nice if we could look at our calendars and know the Chow for the month and their rescue story??? We could even buy them for Christmas Presents for our family and friends....... :idea:
I was thinking the same thing about Christmas presents, but since most of my family doesn't like Chows, might not go over so well. The extended family seems to be in shock over the fact that my parents are adopting another Chow (Dakota). Definitely got an attitude of disapproval from most of them when we made the announcement. Mom was hurt by that- Zoe (our first Chow mix) and Tess were/are members of the family and it became very clear that the extended family doesn't like her.

Anyways, I don't think they would appreciate Chow calendars, but I'd love one! And I don't think $20 is too much at all.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I'd buy one!
Last edited by sweetpea on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts. I thought $20 was a good even price. I bought a dog rescue calendar last year (which gave me ideas too) for $20 and I don't even know the dogs on the calendar!

Vicster, is Kyra your blue Chow? If so, I used her photo.

Wildthings, I'm pretty sure I used a photo of Tess (the black Chows are so hard to tell apart!).

Kingalls, I used a photo of Shiloh (I love her coloring!).

Dogdad, I'll make sure the dates reflect what you posted.

Ciaobella, I don't think my PMs went through last night--could you please email me at fillyok@yahoo.com? I used the photo of Sophie in the water looking backwards on the cover and the one of her in the cemetary for October.

Bama, could you please send me the photo of Colonel sitting in the car where he looks like he's smiling? And the one of him licking his paw after his surgery? Those are too cute.

Katilin, could you send me the photo of Steel hiding behind the sheer curtain (it's on the right in your sig block). Love that one!!

I also used Anita's black Chow (the photo with him and the zebra rug). Does anyone know if he's a rescue? I love that picture.

Thanks for everyone's input on this calendar, but I'm afraid I'm going to keep this one really simple. The one with the different rescue stories would be awesome (that's like the one I bought this year)...maybe next year! Hopefully we'll have many more wonderful rescue stories by then (not that we don't already have tons). If anyone feels left out and they have a rescue, please let me know. I was only going off my memory when I started this.

And last but not least, if we end up ordering 100 calendars, we'll spend $10.95 on each one, giving us a profit of $905!! If we order 50, we'll spend $11.95 on each one...still not bad profit. And 20 cost $12.95 each. Plus when you order 20 or more, you get a free proof. But as I said before, I'll order one to make sure they look good.

Thanks again for all your help and encouragement. You guys are great!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Yes, Kyra is my Blue Girl....AWWWW I can't wait to see!!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I just realized what a bad Chow mom I am. I have a total of 3 pictures of Orso, because he won't look at me when I try to take his picture. I also have NO idea when he was born (to be fair...I DID find him on the freeway, and he wasn't carrying his photo i.d. and lineage papers in his mouth!)

Maybe I should make up a birthday? I found him in August, I believe.

What have those of you who aren't sure when your babies were born done?
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I use their adoption date, I only know one of my dogs real birthdate.

David
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

With Princess we narrowed down when she was born and picked Dec as her birthday month. We just never gave her a date. Actually I think when we do give her a date we forget what date we gave her. Poor girl. At least she has a month.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

filly, I sent Sophie's water pic to you last night... I didn't get your PM'S. The second one didn't load, but I will try again today. I can still send you a CD if that doesn't work, just let me know.

Sophie's "gotcha" date is Dec. 8, that's the day she got tagged and became legal. 8)
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Wow! You have my permission to use Max-A-Million and Mei-Mei on your calendar. My furkids... models! Thank you!! But only $20.00? Guess I'll get more than one! What a great idea!
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Permission granted, for any material relating to my girls.
KasperKisses
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by KasperKisses »

Don't know if you meant my Kasper but he's definitely a rescue!!!
How many Chows does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one if you're Kasper. Hold on and the world revolves around him!!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Look at the picture of Kasper in your signature. What a sweet baboo! Who could ever have let him go? They must have been bonkers!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

That's what I thought when I saw his photo. I never would've guessed he was a rescue! I just added his photo to the calendar.

I think I have it almost complete and I figured out a few more names -- Neela, Millie, Milo (not sure if it's too painful to include his photo now), Lily, Brandon and Sid. I haven't heard from a few that are included...not sure if I need to take them out or not. I have Pekoe's, Benny's and Mr Chew's picture on the calendar.