Resignation

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Resignation

Post by ngraham »

I am sure not everyone will think that is as cute as I thought it was, but since this is a forum where we not only share advice, but our cute chow stories, I thought I'd share. We finally found a home for the chow puppy that we were fostering. Chewie left the night before last. Ever since Chewie has been here, Koda has looked pretty shabby. He seems to be the submissive one when he and other dogs play and is the one who always gets all of the yuckie, stickie "dog slobbers" all over him. LOL So last night after I got home from work and had eaten supper, I put an old t-shirt and a pair of shorts on and filled up the bath tub and Mr. Koda and I headed for the tub. I figured if I got in the bath tub with him, he wouldn't battle so hard. WRONG. Anyway, I did get him all cleaned up. I can't blow dry him because he's scared to death of the blow dryer (we just got him to the point where I can turn the vacum cleaner on and he doesn't run to the other room.) LOL So I just usually let him dry over night and then brush him out the next day. I know I have seen posts before about being able to (or not being able to... whatever the case may be) brush our chows. It isn't that Koda doesn't like it I don't think. but he'd rather bite at the brush (or my hand) and play instead of sitting like a good boy and let me brush him. So what would normally take a few minutes, ends up being a long drawn out process. I brush in between him sitting on my lap giving me kisses, biting the brush, kisses again, chewing on my hand, kisses again, Koda chasing the cats or the feret, you name it. LOL Finally he figured that I was going to keep brushing until I was done, so he laid on the floor next to me on his tummy, spread his legs out behind him and gave me this look of resignation that said, "Alright I give, get it over with will you please?" It was just the cutest look. All I could do was laugh at him while I finished brushing him out. Man these chows are characters. LOL
Nancy and Tai

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Just had to laugh. :lol:
Sounds like you had a great time brushing him. :D
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

lol, that is funny. Gracie is the easiest to brush. She is fine with me brushing her back, sides, legs and tail....thats it. I do this when she's laying around all relaxed. But for me to get her rear and her mane I have to take my plants off a bench infront of our kitchen window and put her up there. She loves to look out the window and wait for a chance to see the neighbors cat. She tends to not pay attention to where I'm brushing when I do this. The other night she went nuts, standing agaisnt the window barking....she seen a rabbit!

As for a hairdryer....no way. She treated it like it was going to eat her alive. I just dry her as well as I can with a towel, then let her air dry.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow just licks and licks anyone whos brushing her. It's the weirdest thing, I guess it could be worse. Nancy, that dog is cute!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

You're right Willow.. it could be worse. He could not let me brush him at all and be really agressive about it instead of it turning out to be kisses and play time. I know not everyone agrees with everyone's style of "chow rearing", but I pretty well let Kodie set the pace of what we do and hopefully it does turn out to be fun and play time for him instead of something he absolutely does not care for... like his bath. I figure that there is some reason why he so timid and shy and I refuse to make matters worse by forcing him to do stuff that I can turn around and make enjoyable for him. There are enough things in life he is going to be forced to have to deal with like going to the vet, getting shots, his leash and baths. LOL I just have to resign myself to the fact that a major brushing it not going to be done in 10 or 15 minutes and alot myself the time to brush him at his pace and make it fun for him. But the face he gave me tonight was just priceless. And he sure is a pretty boy tonight. A little Pantene Pro V conditioner after the bath and rinsed out sure makes a big difference in the brushing and feel of his coat. :roll:
Nancy and Tai

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Oh, he must smell good too, I use Pantene sometimes.

Willow is sometimes antsy and doesn't want to hear it with getting brushed. What I do is I'll do a little, when she's really had it, I just wait 'til later or do it again the next day. I agree, I also try not to make it unfun or restraining for her. She's usually good, I even do her teeth with no trouble. She's good at the groomer and I want to keep it positive for her.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I refer to that special dog spit stiffened fur as being Canine Moussed. Lily spent her first 8 weeks here looking like she had mousse in her mane. Now that she is 7 mos old, She has more control over play, and doesn't look like she is getting slimed so often. I gave up on baths and just waited til the spit was dry and brushed it out. I was worried I'd cause a skin problem from bathing because she's itchy as it is.