It's taken a year...[boys vrs girls]

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

It's taken a year...[boys vrs girls]

Post by applebear »

Since I choose my breeder, but it looks like it may just be my turn! I got a email last night from her announcing the birth of a smooth red litter that I've been waiting on. She just called and only one male was born! I kind of think it's a sign [as male is what I wanted], but she was kind of trying to encourage me towards one of the more outgoing females.

So I guess I'm going to go ahead and ask, does anyone find any real difference between the males/females? And if so, what are they? My first chow was a female and then I got a male a few years later...to me there was a load of difference. The female was more high strung, she took herself very serious...don't get me wrong, she was still a great family member. But my male was much-much more mellow and laid back, just taking things as they were and a real lover.

I've had males ever since. So am I making a mistake by overlooking the girls for a boy? She told me two of the girls come running when she calls and super full of personality. The male just kind of sits there staring, "Meh...I all ready know you, why should I come?" Sounds like he could be a bit more stubborn and independent perhaps, but he is a chow right? :) I get first pick, so I'm trying to give it some serious thought instead of going with my first instinct.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: It's taken a year...[boys vrs girls]

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I have a preference to females (shhh don't tell Jasper and Todd that :lol: ). There's no real reason, other than I just simply don't like cleaning boy parts. :lol: Plus, every male dog I've ever owned has always peed on their own front legs when they hike their leg...

I wouldn't choose a puppy by gender though; I'd pick by personality.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Frankly I'm just the opposite of Tippy's mom, I prefer the males. Mostly because I love the size and weight of the males. But in this case I'd take one of females. That male puppy is TOO independent, he'll be tough to bond with and train. The females do seem to be a lot more frisky, and have higher energy, but they are also funnier, easier to bond with and train. They may be little princesses, but they don't normally give off that, "I'm a King, and you are my servant" attitude that some of the males can.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I prefer females but thats for similar reasons to Jess :lol: I just like my females. They are more caring to my mind and more aware of me and my moods but then I have never had an adult boy chow though I have bred three. I think if you could meet them it would be ideal...failing that can she send you a few videos. If you could see how they behave then I feel sure you would just know!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I also meant to say CONGRATULATIONS how amazing to be offered what you have been waiting for, which ever you choose :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Thank you for the replies. I am definably having a few mixed feelings, as I was pretty confident I wanted a male from the start. As Victory mentioned, the possible strong independence does concern me, but so does being too active...I all ready have one very active dog and was really hoping for something a little lower key. I have been told smooths are more playful and active, so the male appealed a bit to me for that reason, he didn't seem as spunky. However, the pups are only 3-4 weeks right now, so I'm guessing they are only showing a glimpse of their personalities now...could it be the male is just more reserved, more laid back or maybe just hasn't really developed his personality yet being so young?

I do like the idea about getting video, as I am not able to meet them first. I had to go out of state, as all the breeders [the few I could find] were nightmares here. Couldn't hurt to ask. :)
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Sirchow wrote:I also meant to say CONGRATULATIONS how amazing to be offered what you have been waiting for, which ever you choose :D

Thank you! As I'm sure everyone can tell, I'm over excited and all rambly [is that a word?]. Just been waiting so long for this and hopefully I made the right choices and continue to do so when picking the pup. :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think your initial thoughts on male vs female are pretty accurate. After 3 boys we have our 1st girl. She definitely is more active and stubborn. What took the boys 1 to 2 times to figure out is still a struggle with our girl. She is not yet 5 months, so the jury is still out. She learns what she wants to very quickly, but is stubborn on giving up on others (my shoe, with my foot still in it), and i have heard others struggle with similar items.

She is sweet when she wants to be, but is much more independent. Not keen on being held, unless we are out for a car ride, then very content. This could be more of an individual thing rather than male/female, but she just wants to react differently. Our males have always wanted to be included in the family circle, and so does Amber, its just that she approaches it differently.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Rory's Dad wrote:I think your initial thoughts on male vs female are pretty accurate. After 3 boys we have our 1st girl. She definitely is more active and stubborn. What took the boys 1 to 2 times to figure out is still a struggle with our girl. She is not yet 5 months, so the jury is still out. She learns what she wants to very quickly, but is stubborn on giving up on others (my shoe, with my foot still in it), and i have heard others struggle with similar items.

She is sweet when she wants to be, but is much more independent. Not keen on being held, unless we are out for a car ride, then very content. This could be more of an individual thing rather than male/female, but she just wants to react differently. Our males have always wanted to be included in the family circle, and so does Amber, its just that she approaches it differently.
You are kind of confirming some of my thoughts on this. lol I'm not trying to say 'one size fits all,' but it's just always been males I tend to hit it off with and prefer. I've only met a couple females in my life that I would of picked over a male, and those were my friends corgis...oddly enough her males are the exact opposite. Her females are sweet and more laid back, the males being head strong, snappy and hyper...so I know it's not necessarily a male or female thing, it also just comes down to the individual dog. My friend pointed out they may be too young to really determine anything, so maybe I'll just give it a couple weeks. The breeder is suppose to be sending me some updated pics soon, so maybe that'll help seeing their little faces too...perhaps one will just speak to me more. The pics I have now, they just look like little sausages. :)

We'll see, I just need to calm down from the excitement and really think it out. :)