I screwed up - OCD light play

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

I screwed up - OCD light play

Post by babyaslan »

I manufacture pet toys and while exhibiting at a show I picked up a free sample of this mouse shaped laser pointer. It was supposed to exercise your cat, etc...

I recently found it and played with my Chow with it and now hes chasing shadows and has been for the past 2 weeks. I've tried everything including the following:

1- A lot of exercise, which is difficult because I live in Florida and Aslan is really lazy
2- Distraction toys when he starts chasing shadows
3- Timeout when he starts barking/chewing shadows
4- Even borrowed my friends dog to keep him company for a couple nights so he'd get over the obsession

All these worked at the time but then he just went back to shadows and its really bad, he spends all night in this one corner of my apartment that he thinks is the shadow world. Hes not being destructive or anything, I just want him back in the real world.

Please help, any suggestions or similar experiences?
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I screwed up - OCD light play

Post by TyChowgirl »

I know that a lot of people here are against or don't agree with Cesar Millan. I personally found him very helpful while I was researching Chows and puppies in general. I read a few of his books and I shamelessly indulge in dog whisperer episodes. It really helped me understand the psychology of dogs versus looking at it from strictly a trainer point of view. Anyways, in this one particular episode I was watching these people had roughly the same problem with their german shepherds who were supposed to be rescue dogs. The episode should still be featured and watchable from NatGeoTv. Not saying the methods will help with a Chow chow...but maybe it'll help understand what's going on and you can try solving it a different way? Either that or contact a dog behaviorist if you can find one. Good luck! I know Ty loves to play with the laser and he can hear the sound of me picking it up no matter where he is in the apartment. But when it goes away, after searching for a moment or so he gives up and moves on. The only thing he'll try to chase is light reflections from my phone or watch. Most of the time I don't realize they're even doing this until I see him intently staring at the wall or ceiling. The lasers are a good exercise tool (especially on rainy days. And it helped the bond between my chow and one of our cats), but if your chow has a high prey drive or is often bored it can lead to an obssession.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Your chow is trying to tell you that something is living behind the wall in that spot. They can hear and smell such things. Canines don't get OCD for no reason, (though chows do play with ghosts too).
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by babyaslan »

Victory wrote:Your chow is trying to tell you that something is living behind the wall in that spot. They can hear and smell such things. Canines don't get OCD for no reason, (though chows do play with ghosts too).
What do you mean Chows play with ghosts? :(
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I think he's also trying to tell you something's in that wall. My late girl, Tippsy, (and my grandparents' pomeranian) became obsessed with a wall in my grandma's kitchen when we lived with her and we found that a rat had been living in it.

And Tippsy also saw ghosts...
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by babyaslan »

TyChowgirl wrote:I know that a lot of people here are against or don't agree with Cesar Millan. I personally found him very helpful while I was researching Chows and puppies in general. I read a few of his books and I shamelessly indulge in dog whisperer episodes. It really helped me understand the psychology of dogs versus looking at it from strictly a trainer point of view. Anyways, in this one particular episode I was watching these people had roughly the same problem with their german shepherds who were supposed to be rescue dogs. The episode should still be featured and watchable from NatGeoTv. Not saying the methods will help with a Chow chow...but maybe it'll help understand what's going on and you can try solving it a different way? Either that or contact a dog behaviorist if you can find one. Good luck! I know Ty loves to play with the laser and he can hear the sound of me picking it up no matter where he is in the apartment. But when it goes away, after searching for a moment or so he gives up and moves on. The only thing he'll try to chase is light reflections from my phone or watch. Most of the time I don't realize they're even doing this until I see him intently staring at the wall or ceiling. The lasers are a good exercise tool (especially on rainy days. And it helped the bond between my chow and one of our cats), but if your chow has a high prey drive or is often bored it can lead to an obssession.
First thanks I was looking for a Cesar episode on this! I love dog whisperer it sort of trains me to train my chow.

Second it's good to know that the laser thing is ok with dogs and now I can come to terms with Aslans high prey drive, def do some more research on this topic. I was playing this game with him where he stands outside the shower door and tries to get my hand on the other side of the glass, he just waits the whole time im taking a shower and then even after Im out he still stands by the glass...