Poorly Paw

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lou_2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Poorly Paw

Post by Lou_2010 »

Hi I'm after a little advice, Mrs jeds my chow started licking and nibbling his paw last week which became very red I decided to monitor it as he wasn't limping and didn't seem to cause him any pain, the redness has gone now but he keeps licking his paw still and then today I took him for a walked and he started limping so had to bring him home any sugguestions what i should do before taking him to the vet for them to look at??? Are chows prone to illnesses as my poor little jed seems to have one thing after another at the min! :?
Attachments
This is Jed
This is Jed
jed3.jpg (108.25 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Poorly Paw

Post by katman »

Could be allergies. All of my Chows did it in the summer. Could also be food.
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Hi

Have a feel in between his toes the web bits and on the top of the paw can you feel a lump like a peanut but a little squishy, he may have a inter-digital cyst its quite common and can be seasonal but not always, if its not going away have a chat with your vet as he may need a course of antibiotics as they can get infected if they burst open, they do get sore and can cause lameness, people i know treat them with a cream called bobs grass stinks but does work on milder cysts but i would get a diagnosis first, my efe had one surgically removed as it would not heal and go away, that is why i recommend a vet visit just in case, as it could also be a grass seed which will need attention.
Lou_2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lou_2010 »

Hi

Thanks for the advice Think it will be a trip to the vets tomo Its our second home lately! think it could be a cyst sounds a bit like what you descibed, :(
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

I know the feeling, I may suggest converting my vets back room into a room for me to stay in, we spend so much time there!