Stinky bad!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Stinky bad!

Post by Auddymay »

I had a little scare with Lily last night. She was lying by the front door a few feet from me on the computer, and I could hear her belly gurgle. Not just once either. She did not look in pain, but the gurgling was unsettling. Fearing torsion, I went and woke her up, and made her stand up so I could feel her belly. The top of her stomach was fine, but her lower intestines were really going to town. I could feel them roiling under my touch. If she were human, I would be expecting explosive diarrhea. I put her out and left her there for a bit. As I was letting her in, I still heard the noise. Oy. Back to our spots. From across the room, my DH could hear the gurgling. Lily slept right through it. It went on for hours! I did panic when she went upstairs and trotted into my bedroom. I pictured that ED hitting the walls and my bed.

Today all was well. No gurgling. I thought I would have to clean out breaches as well, but no, all was clean. Poor Lily was probably wondering why I kept waking her up. She was letting some bad stinkers today, however.
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Stinky bad!

Post by Theo »

So happy it all turned out OK! We never stop mothering, do we?
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh, I know that must have been scary. I always worry about bloat - it scares the daylights out of me. Almost every time they are done eating I feel their stomachs. I am sure they think I am nuts, but, I am not taking any chances.
I have a bloat kit, but would have a heart attack if I had to use it.
Mia
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

The other day I was hearing that weird sound, I thought it came from the neighbours upstairs. The noise was undefinable, so I shut my music down. I was still hearing it after a few minutes and I even asked Coco "what could it be?" . Later I realized it came from HER, from her belly! I was affraid that she was about to be very sick, but like for Lily, nothing happened /:) .
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so glad Lily was OK. Bloat must be at the back of every chow owners mind. Bramble has a habit after every meal of standing and stretching her whole body very long and letting out the most enormous belch. So ladylike - but I always feel glad when she has done it. Silly. :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, M & M let out big belches when they have finished their dinner and I too am relieved when I hear it. That must have been scary but glad she is ok. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Coco Chow wrote:The other day I was hearing that weird sound, I thought it came from the neighbours upstairs. The noise was undefinable, so I shut my music down. I was still hearing it after a few minutes and I even asked Coco "what could it be?"
#-o :lol:
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

This happens at my house all the time. My female Gracie has always had it and it happens often. We call hear it from across the house and we say that Gracie has "cats in her belly". I give her Zantac or Pepcid and within a 1/2 hour all is well and she's happy and so is my male chow because the loud sound makes him nervous. She doesn't act like anything is bothering her but she won't eat. I suspect she as acid indigestion because it usually occurs on an empty stomach.

I've asked the vet about it several time and he's puzzled but said if Zantac helps everytime, use it. We've lived with it for many years.

Sydney
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

My Penelope used to get REALLY bad gas. stomach gurgling, no diarhea, just a lot of gas. Then I figured it must be the treats I'm giving her. Because it always happens when I give her a lot, such as brushing time, bath time, or after dog class.

(Also, to Sydney, hello, my name is Sydney too. I know it's a pretty common name nowadays, but I'm always still surprised when I meet someone with the same name. also, you have a dog named gracie, my sister's name is grace. haha, strange coincidence.)
fings1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fings1 »

Logan, our rescued Berner, had bloat. Before he had it he used to do this strange thing where he would start moving his tongue, almost as if he was trying to get something out. We learned that can be a precursor to bloat, it's called 'the gulps.' I was told to give him Pepcid AC and it helped. I would also let him out to eat some grass and throw up, did this before giving him the Pepcid.

When he did get bloat the symptoms were very different, luckily we had read up on them. It happened when we were in a park about a mile from our car. Logan started laying down on the path, not like him, then he started throwing up and eventually foaming. Horst had to keep sticking his fingers down his throat to make him throw up, it was the only way to get him to walk. It isn't easy carrying a Berner uphill in the woods. Long story shorter...we finally made it to the car and then raced 85 mph down a 55 mph zone to get him to the vet. When we got out of the car his stomach had blown up like he ate a beach ball. It was horrible.

The stomach hadn't turned but was trying so he had emergency surgery. This happened right after x-mas, thankfully he made a relatively quick and total recovery.

There are a couple of sites to learn what to look for (have to find them) and having been on them is what saved Logan's life. If we hadn't read up on it we never would have known what it was. Glad everything is fine at your house.

Lisa & Bo (woof!)