no I didn't go skiing!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

no I didn't go skiing!

Post by Victory »

Mommie's got a big thing on her leg, she's walking funny and the neighbors are taking us for walkies! What gives?
Firesong and Dreamdancer who are very confused

Mom here--going to work is hazardous to your health! Last week was pretty nice as far as the weather goes here in Minneapolis, it got above freezing into the high 30's and low 40's all week; unfortuneatley this causes any snow and/or ice on roof tops, over hangs or awnings to melt and run off onto the side walks...and then the sun goes down and the temp drops below freezing and the water freezes to ice, only now it's on the sidewalk....so there I go off to work, not looking of thinking of anythng but getting to the bus on time, and one leg goes out from under me, the other twists and I end up landing on the ankle and twisting the knew. It's 5am, I'm figuring if I can get up and back in the building on my own, which I did, I call in, (no way I'm limping to work now), kept it elevated and iced thurs, fri, sat and sun, but sunday night the knee is feeling pretty good, but the ankle...oh my every time I moved at night it just throbbed, so this morning I decide to go into the doctor, (I'm worse than most men about doctors...I just don't go) the doctor does his pokey/prodie thing and then has me hobble down to xray, where they take three of my knee and four of my ankle, the doctor looks at them and tells me, "your knee is fine, it's a sprain but healing nicely, but you broke your ankle."

"Huh?" I've been walking on it, (well sort of) for four days. I do have reduced feeling in that leg from a nerve issue years ago, and that's most likely why I can walk on it. So I have a temp cast on it, no weight bearing and my neighbors are walking my chows for me....and a friend is bringing me some food for them tomorrow, since I just poured the last I had into their dishes. What's really ironic is it's spring break at school....maybe I'll pretend I went somewhere really cool and broke it there!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chris

Re: no I didn't go skiing!

Post by chris »

oh man.... seeeeeeeeee.... thats why I DON'T SKI either. ;-) Walking is hard enough for me to handle. hehehe.... I hope your on the mend! :-)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Haley had a nasty sprain last winter just that way, fresh ice on the walkway early in the morning. Dang, you were so close to getting through this winter without incident! Heal quickly!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

This is why I hate winter. #-o I hope you will heal quickly. It is nice of your neighbors to walk the chow babies for you.
SweetPea Rocks!!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you'll soon be up and getting around again. Firesong and Dreamdancer must miss their mom going for walks with them!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

TJordan wrote:This is why I hate winter. #-o I hope you will heal quickly. It is nice of your neighbors to walk the chow babies for you.
Yeah everyone in that apartment loves them so they are happy to take them for walks...which helps a lot.

And I hate winter too, looks pretty on cards, but when it's mostly ice on hard side walk it's not pretty it's dangerous.
Thank you SweetPea!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Ouch!! This brings back bad memories when I broke my ankle several years ago...I didn't have nice neighbors so Ping and Bear learned to go very close to home. I walked on mine all day too so I figured it wasn't broken...ugh. I hope you mend quickly. I think hugging the furkids helps with that. :wink:
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Feel better soon....a broken ankle isn't much fun.

When my ex Alan broke his...JR would get his tongue in the walking cast and try to lick his ankle better...it was rather funny...too bad his ankle healed!!

Your furkids will take care of Mommy...they are just like that!

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I hope you feel well enough to post more often, while you're on the
mend. I recommend wearing over-the-sole ice-grippers, especially for black-ice conditions. They really work well.

All best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Now mom has this BIGGER thing on her foot and she walks kind of funny, and we still have to go out with the neighbors who think we're funny and cute too! Mom's giving us lots of "cookies" though...we think she's teaching us the word...we know it already mom..were's more cookies?!
Firesong and Dreamdancer

Yep, I got a thing called a walking brace or boot, it's a big black thing that lets me put some weight on the leg, (just enough to balance on) Most of all I can take it off to sleep and to shower and such, (YiPPPEEEEE =D= \:D/ =D= ) back to work tomorrow...and hopefully back to the full routine by next week. Well except for walking the chowdren that might be a bit much for a bit, cause I'm supposed to keep most of my weight off the leg for another four weeks.
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You need a rascal...hehe. I can see it now. Get a black one, with spinners on the wheels, maybe a 'turbo' sticker to make it look fast!... and those shades for the furkids will be a must.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

oh no, I am so sorry to hear this, I broke my ankle 4 years ago and ended up with 3 plates and 12 screws, I walked on mine for about a day. I hope you mend soon, I was imobilized for 3 months and had to learn how to walk again. I wish I lived closer I would help with walkies, Take care of yourself. The good news is that now you will know when there is a change in weather before they talk about it on the weather station.

David
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well at least the brace is a step up :? Maybe it will stop freezing and snowing long enough for you to heal properly!@!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

I think spring has finally sprung here, the day time temps are in the high 50's and low 60's. Most of the snow and ice is gone now, temps at night are over freezing so it should be okay to walk around with my brace and walker. Luckily it's a stable fracture that hasn't moved, so I don't need pins or plates or all that and I actually broke it in the same or a near place about 19 years ago and have never felt the weather with it.
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh deary me - sorry to hear of your accident Victory - chin up - hope you get better soon. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Victory..my, my!!! So sorry to hear you had such a nasty fall! Do those casts come in anything other than black? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
You know spring is here and bright pastels are all the rage, so maybe they have a lovely spring color? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
I'm so glad you are on the mend!
My broken ankle story....
I played basketball in school, went for a lay up, both feet were airborne, then I came down on top
of another player! It was a hard hit! I broke one ankle, then sprained the other. The sprain turned my leg blue all the way
up my calf, and was very painful. The broken ankle didn't hurt near as much as the sprained ankle.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Sure hope the ankle is doing better! Maybe a skiing accident might be a more exciting tale to tell - I'm sure Firesong and Dreamdancer will keep the secret :wink:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh