I am heart broken

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

shannlee379
Rank 1
Rank 1

I am heart broken

Post by shannlee379 »

I really am not in the mood for I told you so. So if there is nothing nice anyone has to say, then please don't respond. I just need to voice it, that I took Shelby to her follow up for her eyes last night, and she does in fact need the surgery on both eyes. The good thing is that while their doing the spay, they'll do the eyes at the same time, so she doesn't have to go under twice. We go back on the 29th to see the surgeon to see how extensive it will have to be.
Shannon & Shelby...
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: I am heart broken

Post by chow fancier »

Are you just talking entropian? If so, then it is not anything to be heartbroken about. She will have surgery and be fine. I've had 4 chows and they all had the surgery and were fine. One of them had to have one eye adjusted after the first surgery, so she had a second a month or so later. No life issues, just a little bump in the road for all of them. The important thing is to get the surgery done soon as not doing it can allow the constant irritation to damage the eyes.

Shelby is in my prayers as is your entire family.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Is this for Entropian? I'm sure the surgery will go fine and as soon as she's all healed up she'll be a much happier chow. I'm sure entropian is very annoying if not down right painful for them, (I know how uncomfortable I am with hair in my eyes for a little bit) It's good that they are going to do it when she is being spayed....good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Many Chows get entropion, many have allergies. It is no big deal. Except that she has to have surgery, which is nerve wreaking. If you get an I told you so from a troll, so be it. Some folks revel in other people's miseries, it is all they have.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I am sorry your baby has to have the surgery. I am sure she will be just fine and feel so much better after it heals. It is so scary for us when they have to have any kind of surgery. Just make sure your vet knows what he/she is doing...is experienced with Entropian. Lots of people on here have been through it so hopefully you will only get support and advice.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Entropian surgery isn't an I told you so alot of Chows have that operation done, some of the Vets are using laser now. Smokey had severe Entropian they used laser on him no fuss no muss, in and out with no problems, nothing to worry about.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie had laser surgery for entropion done at 6months (after a few rounds of tacking) She was home the same afternoon & much happier afterwards. Shelby will be fine, no worries at all.
Thank you Elodie!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

My Cheyenne had both eyes done too,same day she was spayed.It looks awful for a couple of days but it bothered me more than her I bet.
It's really no big deal,and they're so much happier after it's done.
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

Berkley had entropian in both eyes, too. He had the surgery a couple of weeks after he arrived (look up his pics I posted to the Group) and he healed very quickly. His eyes look great now! Nothing to be worried about...Shelby will be just fine. It's good that you can have the eye surgery and the spaying at the same time. Shelby won't have to go under anethesia a second time.
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

even the great breeders chows get entropian.its a chow thing that I've come to expect with chows.everyone is right,its really not a big deal.
my 2nd chow Jade had to have her eyes recontructed because she was heavy headed.she was from an excellent breeder.
good luck and don't worry !
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Two of my chows had entropian and they come from well credited breeder and parents have cert as well, so it happens to a lot of chows. Hope all goes well with the operation.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sure Shelby will do just fine. This seems to be a very common thing with chows, no matter how "well-bred". Best of luck to you and Shelby.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Good luck. I would be scared too, but it's good to know so many people have had so much success.
courtsey of Sweetpea
shannlee379
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shannlee379 »

It is entropian, and I am just heart broken cause all this time the vet said it was nothing more than over active tears, and she must have been in so much pain these last few months. Thanks
Shannon & Shelby...
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

If your Vet didn't pick up on Shelby having Entropian when they first saw her........it would make me wonder how much experience they have with it. Just a question I would ask if I were you. They can botch up their eyes and you could have to have repeat surgeries if they don't get it right. Just a suggestion :wink: Good Luck, Kyra also had Entropian surgery and she was just fine in a matter of weeks

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Wishing Shelby a speedy recovery

David
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I had one do Entropian surger,it is pretty common with our chow babies. Not as bad as it sounds. She will be fine. Give her hugs from us!!!! [:D]
SweetPea Rocks!!