Woo Hoo New dog treats

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Woo Hoo New dog treats

Post by WildThings »

I have been searching for a dog treat that Tess and Tacia loved for some time. Since cutting them both off of corn and wheat, finding really good dog treats has been a chore. I have found some that they like, but were not in love with until yesterday. I have been taking Tess with my to the pet stores almost daily just to get her out of the house and to see if the cat food we order is in yet. Some days we buy something, other days we just go in to visit and see the humane society kittens :D Well yesterday we were looking through dog treats and found duck jerky (they had lamb, chicken, pork, and beef) but I thought we would try them. They were 100% dried duck with nothing else added. Tess and Tacia think they are the best things ever. Tess even went through all of her tricks, including rolling over, which she would usually rather not do.

Now if we could find someone who wanted the gross ones we have bought in the past. The last ones actually smelled like cigarette butts...I wouldn't want to eat them either.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Can you tell us the name of the stuff to avoid?
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL. Yay for new treats! What brand are they?
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I'd like the brand name also! Jaz is hard to buy HEALTHY treats for
~ Sally
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

The dog treats they both really like are "Loving Pets" Gourmet. The simply duck jerky (which if I was adventurous, would make myself, but don't see that happening).

The ones that smell like cigarette butts were Beefeaters Tarter control dental stix (Tacia has dragonbreath and bad teeth, so was hoping these would help). They are a ground raw hide (Tess and Tacia don't get pieces of rawhide) with mint and parsley. I think I will take them to the Human Society...maybe some other dog will like them.

I have Wellness WellBites, which Tess and Tacia both like, but don't really get excited. Same with the Old Mother Hubbard bulk treats (which do contain human grade wheat :( )

They loved treats like Beggin Strips and Canine Carryouts, but over the last 6 months, we have been cutting out as much of the junk as possible.

There are a few others I would like to try at the pet store, but they get kind of expensive, so one bag at a time.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Another all-natural, healthy treat brand to try is Zuke's Natural Products.

I haven't tried any of the dog treats but my kitten thinks the Natural Purrz cat treats are great. I picked them up because he is allergic to corn and chicken and I'm nervous about feeding wheat. They smell good (as good as pet treats ever smell and this from the owner of a cat who thinks Innova Venison and Brown Rice is the best food in the world).

Zuke's seem pretty available in northeastern Ohio, so those in this part of the country for the Chow fest this weekend might be interested.

http://www.zukes.com

I'll take some to Tess and Tacia next weekend when I see them.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Duck treats are Nanuk's favorite, however we have to make sure we don't over feed it cause they are too rich for his tummy. On a side note all the treats he doesn't like we donate to the local dog shelter open or not. Glad to hear you have found a new treat.
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
shandilady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shandilady »

We've made some homemade liver treats and mint (from our backyard) treats that our troop seem to love alot. The duck jerky sounds like something they might like . Thank you for the hint.