please help me with this flea problem..

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

please help me with this flea problem..

Post by haifinn »

my charlee bear has fleas really bad; she caught them from playing with our neighbor's husky; i believe. i tried everything and cannot get rid of them for the life of me. it's because she has such a thick double coat... from experience how do you get rid of all the fleas for good? could you please give me a good step by step?.. poor bear has been itching for about 2 months now.. thank you so much for the help!!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: please help me with this flea problem..

Post by Fozzbear »

That doesnt sound right - have you tried the vet prescribed Frontline or Advocate? Make sure you have the right for the size/weight of your dog and part his fur with your fingers and get as close to the skin as possible. That should zap 'em and protect him for a few months.
You also need to spray your house with a good flea spray - wash all Charlee Bear's bedding at a high temp and spray them too (although be sure to air them well before you give them back to him).
If the husky is his regular play date - I'd treat that for fleas too!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I use sergeants brand oatmeal flea shampoo (publix carries it) and comfortis. And we don't have any problems with fleas. When we did have flea problems though, we bathed the dogs with that shampoo and gave them the comfortis and just watched the fleas fall off them.
Last edited by Tippsy'smom on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by haifinn »

i will try frontline. that's something that's supposed to be guaranteed to work, and the flea spray around the house is a good idea. she never sleeps on her bed she prefers the hard wood floor where it's nice and cool for her. lol. my vet told me to use the blue dawn dish soap and that will kill them for sure, but i am afraid of that drying out her coat and skin and she has a gorgeous coat i do not want to ruin... lol. if any one else has anymore advice i'd love to see it. Thanks!
haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by haifinn »

Tippsy'smom wrote:I use sergeants brand oatmeal flea shampoo (publix carries it) and comfortis. And we don't have any problems with fleas.
Thanks! i'll give it a try as well (:
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

You're welcome. :) Also, be very cautious about frontline, I've seen many cases of it burning their skin.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

We have had good success with Oster Oatmeal Naturals. Our Kimba (below) had such itchy skin as she got older and this certainly soothed her. You might try doing a quick rinse with Dawn then another with the oatmeal soap so that's the last to touch your lovely Charlie-bear's skin. I've been told to stay away from Hydro-cortisone skins sprays, just an FYI.

Also, since your Charlie-bear is still a pup (has she started shedding yet?) it might be tough but you might try a lice comb. Max has really weird dry skin bumps on his tail but a good combing helps to remove them. A lice comb's tines are very close together and this might help you "inspect" different fur areas. Just a thought ... dunno if it would work or not. Might be rough to get through longer fur.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by haifinn »

okay, thank you! great advice (:
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

I've heard from several people including my vet, that when all else fails............including Frontline Plus, shampoos etc.............Trifexis worked.
You will need your vet to give you a precription for it and I would discuss it with your vet because it also works for many other pests. If my chows ever developed a case of fleas, I would not hesistate to try it. In fact, since I use Interceptor for heartworm prevention and as many of you may know they shut the factory that manufactures Interceptor, Excederin, Gas X etc, down for the past year, my vet recommended I try Trifexis. Now, I've heard that Interceptor will be available again. But, that's off the subject and again, I've heard there's nothing better then Trifexis for "fleas".

Syd
haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by haifinn »

Alright I will try if nothing works, thanks! :D
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Dawn dish washing detergent works very well to remove fleas. If the infestation is sever, you may have to bath her several days. We use Advantix primarily because it also repels ticks in addition to fleas. I cannot speak for the rest of the country, but because the weather is generally warm here, insects are a problem year around and we treat all our pets every month.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The problem with fleas is they lay eggs off of the animal. While you are treating the ones on your pet, new ones are hatching in your carpet or furniture, just waiting to find a host. A product like frontline will help because it is a continuous treatment, but you might have to treat the house with a pesticide as well. You can also get a product called capstar from the vet. It lasts only a short time and is ingested by the dog, but it kills any flea that bites the dog almost instantly, ending the cycle.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

We had been using Frontline or Advantage and then it stopped working and had fleas everywhere. I talked to my vet and they recommended either Comfortis or Triflexis. The Triflexis is the same as the Comfortis but it has the heart worm medicine in it and it cost the same so we went with the Triflexis for the dogs and Comfortis for the cat. It cured our flea problem completely. It costs a little more than Frontline or Advantage (about $20 a dose per month) but I was spending about $12 a month per dose on alternatives that weren't working at all. I literally poured the Frontline on the fleas I could see and it still didn't kill them.
billyjoe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by billyjoe »

My girlfriend and I were searching for a product that would adequately protect our dogs from fleas and ticks for years. We weren't satisfied with any product,and we have tried many. While searching forums for pets I came across a link that took us to a Pet Protector website. My girlfriend was thrilled about the product because there are no harmful chemicals.

Pet Protector is the only scientifically proven, non-toxic anti-parasite product. It's a metal disc, charged with scalar waves which create a protective field around your pet and prevent all external parasites from attaching to your pet.

Click here to learn more about the only 100% safe product for protecting your pet from nasty pests for 2 years.

http://www.petprotector.org/?ID=17627
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It might be a good idea to have Your Chow's health checked. Your Chow's health maybe compromised by illness or illness caused by fleas. I used to give Tess Brewer's yeast tablets. They are expensive up here for some reason so I started buying Lewis Labs Brewer's Yeast Buds (Kosher & non GMO). Also, if you can and are in the right growing area, buy a good size rosemary plant. After baths (this was in SoCal) Tess would rub up against the plant. I know this is hard to believe, but none of my dogs ever had fleas. I also, take Brewer's Yeast Buds in the morning and in the spring & summer I am rarely bit by mosquitoes. Brewer's yeast has a bitter taste and comes out on ones skin. I try to side with the natural remedies when I can. I also suggest lots of vacuuming and discard the dust etc. in a closed container - don't let the stuff sit in the vacuum cleaner. I hope you can get rid of the little bugs.....