Puppy coat questions

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Puppy coat questions

Post by cherriemater »

I'm not sure if this is the right area but I have a question about puppy coats. While I realize a rough chow will have a very fluffy puppy coat I am concerned about the condition. Max and Leo's coats seem to be very dry and frizzy. I remember that Kimba, after a bath, would have very frizzy hair so that doesn't concern me but the boys seem to be very dry and dull. The breeder had them on Pedigree Puppy, which smelled so awful when she gave me a baggie full I decided to switch them to TOTW Prairie right away (gradually, of course). They LOVE it and are tolerating it very well. Anyway, I am wondering if that food was what has dulled their coats or if it's natural. ((BTW as of Thursday, they will be nine weeks old.))

Also, at what point should I start to supplement with fish oil or an every-now-and-then egg for their coats? Their first puppy exam (with me) is this Friday, so I'll be sure to ask the Vet as well, but they may or may not know chow chows as well as you all.

YES, I'm a worry-wart, which is why I appreciate, in advance, your kind answers.

Here's a close-up of Leo:
111511 Leo closeup.jpg
111511 Leo closeup.jpg (96.28 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Here's a close-up of Max:
111511 Max closeup.jpg
111511 Max closeup.jpg (86.7 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Puppy coat questions

Post by cherriemater »

Actually, this is a better exemplar:
111511 Max coat.jpg
111511 Max coat.jpg (88.25 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
Please never mind the sock chewy draped over his back. Silly Max!
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Oh, I see what you mean by the coats... I don't know if this is nor.al condition, because I didn't get lily until she was 4 months, but it probably is to do.with the food they were on. If you don't see an improvement soon though, I wouldn't worry. Just keep up with lots of grooming, every day whilst they are puppies if you can. That will improve their condition as well :) hope this helps x
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Loha's puppy coat (kind of like sheep's wool) never had a shine to it. It is the longer, outer adult coat which has a natural sheen in a healthy chow. Loha's has always been gorgeous w/o any supplements whatsoever. Just keep the older, dead fur out of there with a rake and pet them firmly with long hand strokes after raking. The petting spreads the natural oils in a very subtle, but effective, way.

Loha's Dad
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thanks you so much. Yes, sheep's wool is the perfect definition. I have been grooming daily, though they don't usually enjoy it, because I want that to be "our time" individually. I'll keep that up and wait for the puppy coat to blooooow.
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Their coats don't look dissimilar to maya's when she was that age and also a couple of pups of 15 weeks that I saw at a show this past weekend. Maya has some of her adult coat coming through down her back which is super shiny, but still has sone of her puppy fur on her sides which in comparison does look dry and duller, but still fluffy n soft .. Not sure this helps, but as a first time chow owner myself, can only go by what I've experienced with Maya :) .. You sound like a fab mum to those gorgeous boys btw :) xx
Chrissy & Maya

Thank you Siriol for the lovely banner
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Their coats look normal for puppies at their age. :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thanks Chrissy and Jess! :D Now I can find something else to worry about!! (tee hee) :oops: