Prospective Chow Chow Owner - Allergic to Dogs

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sacco12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Prospective Chow Chow Owner - Allergic to Dogs

Post by sacco12 »

Hello I am looking into getting a chow chow puppy, but i am decently allergic to dogs. I was wondering if anyone knew some tips or methods of 'de-allergy-ing" (?) the dog if there were any shots i could get him or any products to make the household comfortable for my nose and eyes.
thanks!
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Prospective Chow Chow Owner - Allergic to Dogs

Post by gumbychow »

hello sacco12
For information often those who are allergic to dogs ... are not chow chow but it often depends on the degree of your allergy.
I suggest you go to a breeder chow ... and to take and playing with the puppies ...
Your allergy problems will may be absent ...
I hope so!
a +
The chow chow is the king of dogs ... and not the dog of king
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

re hello
Additional information
They either had not really hypoallergenic dog.
It depends on your level of allergy and the breed of dog
certain breed of dog allergies are low.
Sometimes we say the chow chow is a low allergy dog ...
You have to make test with the little puppy and you ...

Go on the internet
to know the dogs allergic low
and
how to reduce your side effects with your dog ..
a +

I'm also going to look back and you ...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree with Gumbychow - get contaact with chow chows and see how your allergy is.

Chow Chows do not smell like other dogs. They do not act like other dogs and their coats are not like other dogs, so you never know - maybe you will not be allergic to them.

The only way to find out is to handle a chow - cuddle one and see how it goes. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

thats one of the features i love about Chows, when they are wet it doesnt smell bad like other dogs :D :D
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

re sacco12, judiefox, Valerie
here's a site with a test to make sure that you are allergic to dogs ... well spasm, saliva, or other ... : 8)
a +

http://sweet-lucys.com/allergictodogs.html
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

You'd have to spend time with a few Chows to see how you react.

Dog allergies have nothing to do with odor. It is generally an allergy to dander, which all dogs have. Nonshedding breeds like Poodle, Bichons, etc don't drop the hair, so are better for allergy sufferers.

You can frequently bathe a dog to reduce the amount of hair shed, but the issue will still be there.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

If you are allergic to dogs, a chow chow is not for you. It just is not. Allergin Immunotherapy is for your body since you have the allergy and no shots given to the dog will help ease your symptoms. Plus, there is a lot of brushing and combing involved with the breed where dust and dander will surely be in the air. Please do not expose yourself to a health risk where you can control your environment. Also, a chow chow is not a breed where you can test around with. Should your allergy symptoms flare up a month or so after having the dog around, it would do real harm to the puppy's psychie. A chow is a very sensitive creation and you will be amazed how the short time with you would bring out a troubled memory should it have to be removed and rehomed.

Good luck and thank you for asking us first.
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

sacco12 wrote:Hello I am looking into getting a chow chow puppy, but i am decently allergic to dogs. I was wondering if anyone knew some tips or methods of 'de-allergy-ing" (?) the dog if there were any shots i could get him or any products to make the household comfortable for my nose and eyes.
thanks!
Please think about this.
There are 2392 Chow or Chow/Mixes on Petfinder right now.

If you really want a Chow that bad, why don't you look into fostering a Chow that is in a rescue. This way you can help with the problem instead of adding to it. If you can make it work with a foster, after they get it placed in a new home, you can start looking for a Chow of your own.

Have the Chow groomed before you bring it into your house so you get a fresh start, no dander, no fleas , no brushing. Then when you start brushing the foster, you will know if it is a workable situation. And if it's not, the Chow will go to another foster without making it 2393 Chows on Petfinder.

Where do you live and how soon do you want to start, there's a Chow waiting for a home today.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Hahahahahaha that is funny. Chow Chow's in general have similar if not same allergies people do! Brushing daily will drastically reduce hair around the house, but if its the hair your allergic too your going to have a rough time. Nat (other half) has allergies and she an FengHuang (our girl) share the same allergies in the same seasons, kinda cute. ShenLung (our boy) only has minor environment allergies, but more food allergies. I have no allergies. We wish you all the best.