New puppy

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

New puppy

Post by rougedriner »

I have a nine year old female "Honey Bear". he is the center of my world. I`m wanting to get a 12 week old female in hope's she will pick up some of my older dogs good habits. My only concern will my older dog accept the puppy?
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New puppy

Post by CHowgal »

How is your older chow with other dogs? That could be the deciding factor.
Jess
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I think your older chow will accept the puppy, because it is a puppy, and that is what adult dogs usually do with puppies.

My concerns would be:
- to get a low energy puppy as you don't want the young puppy to annoy Honey Bear all day long. An old chow deserves peaceful days for her old days
- will these 2 chows of same gender get along fine when they are both adult females in a few months? And if they don't anymore after your puppy is all grown up, what will you do?

I'm not sure I see what kind of good habits you would like the new girl to pick up from Honey Bear. Maybe you are scared to have one day an empty home without a chow if you don't get another one before your old one decides her time has come?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

Honey Bear gets along good with every dog she has ever been around. She is still playful and enjoys her toys. She is even gentle with my neighbors kittens.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Well, I don't think it would be a bad idea if you got a puppy, but do keep in mind that with them being the same gender, fights are a high possibility. This could go one way or the other, they could be the best of friends, or they could get to a point where they want to rip eachothers throats out. And if it did go wrong what would you do then?
Jess
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

I want to thank everyone for the advice on getting a female puppy. I have decided to wait and hopefully the breeder will have a black male soon. :D
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

I wish you luck. :) And we'd love to see pictures.
Jess
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

rougedriner wrote:I want to thank everyone for the advice on getting a female puppy. I have decided to wait and hopefully the breeder will have a black male soon. :D
Perfect! Good luck. And we'd like pictures of Honey Bear soon and the chowling when you get him.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I personally would wait for the male, eventually your puppy will grow into an adult and then you may have a serious problem with a younger stronger female and an elderly weakend female. I personally will never get the same *Censored Word* chows again

David
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Rougedriner, any news on your upcoming puppy :D ?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

Want to let everyone know, picked my new boy up yesterday. (24th) It took Bear a while to warm up to him, named him Bobo by the way, and so far their getting alone. Bear let him know pretty quick she was boss. This morning she had a tennis ball teasing him. They are an odd pair her being a black and him a cream O:)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

That was quick \:D/ =D= \:D/ Congratulations....now we need lots of pictures. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Congratulations on the new puppy! I think the creams are absolutely beautiful and would also love to see pictures!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

If I can ever figure out how to transfer the I have some in a folder #-o
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

Wanted to tell everyone Bear and Bo are getting along good. Bo was barking at Bear earlier, didn`t seem like Bear barked that young. Bear is still mad at me, hope she gets over it soon, breaks my heart when I can`t get my sugar. I know she still loves me she`s just mad :(