Chow mix nervous around kids-nips!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

HansoPanso
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow mix nervous around kids-nips!

Post by HansoPanso »

Hi there!
This is my first time posting on this board.
I have a 2 y/o chow/aussie shep mix that I've had since he was app 8 w/o.
He has always been an insecure, nervous dog that if he feels cornered will give a warning nip.
I've tried socializing him, took him to puppy classes and that was a mess.
He's generally very nervous around new people, once he is familiar he's a love.

When he was younger, I had a problem with him nipping the kids as they ran around. My neighbor boy got nipped and made a big fuss about it and the parents were thinking of reporting our dog. We convinced them otherwise b/c their son was previously told not to ever go in our yard and he was running away from our dog screaming and heading for the fence.
I now keep kids and dogs seperated, if the kids our outside, the dogs is inside and so on.
Our chow mix has seemed to have outgrown this herding kind of nipping anyway.

My current problem with him is nipping children who don't get the message to leave him alone.
The other day, my son had a friend over that my dog does not like. This boy is typical high energy kid and makes my dog nervous.
Anyway, I usually make sure everyone is in different areas but the boys were playing quietly in the front room, dog was sleeping in hallway by front door and I was in kitchen. (I have small house)
Next thing I know, the boy is telling my son that our dog just bit him.
I couldn't believe it cause I didn't hear a thing.
He said that all he did was go over and try to pet him and he nipped him in the back of the arm.
The boy did have a little scratch and a tooth mark bruise. He wasn't upset.
I was.
He said that the dog didn't growl at all.
I'm thinking that he was asleep when the boy approached him and in retrospect the dog was in a guarding position by the front door.
I immediatlely start beating myself up for allowing this to happen again!
I called his mom and she was cool with the whole thing.
But I don't want this to ever happen again.

I am trying to find a professional to work with but in the meantime, I'm not sure what to do.
Should I lock him up in a room by himself everytime someone comes over?
Should I get a muzzle?

In each circumstance that he has nipped I have not actually been right there to see it.
I do not believe that my dog is aggressive, he seems to be trying to communicate "back off" when he nips.
But parents are not gonna understand that when their little boy comes home with a scratch and bruise from my dog.
I also do not understand why children, even ones that are 8 y/o, won't listen when you tell them not to bother the dog.

Any advice would be great.
I really feel like I've failed in protecting my dog and the kids that come over.
Thank you!
Auddymay

Re: Chow mix nervous around kids-nips!

Post by Auddymay »

You are doing what you can, keep them separated. My Chow will bark at any stranger who gets up and makes any fast moves, even after she accepts them into the house (begrudgingly). My dumb nephew will walk toward her and she retreats but continues to bark. She is no different than yours, except for the way they are expressing themselves. Making a Chow less nervous around strangers is hard. I have no solution for you, and I will be interested as to what others suggest.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow mix nervous around kids-nips!

Post by kiwani »

HansoPanso wrote:I am trying to find a professional to work with but in the meantime, I'm not sure what to do.Should I lock him up in a room by himself everytime someone comes over?
Should I get a muzzle?
Locking him away is just like living with a loaded gun. It's a way to manage the problem, but it's not going to help him build social confidence though. The trainer should be able to help you with that. It seems your dog is a fear-biter. This link explains the importance of building confidence in fear-biters.

http://www.perfectpaws.com/shy.html