Canny Great-Niece!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Canny Great-Niece!

Post by Judy Fox »

Well I had the biggest laugh for a long time this afternoon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fred and I met up with Fred's late brother's family at the local chapel of rest at the crematorium as it was the 25th anniversary of Charlie's death.

Our sister-in-law was there, together with their two sons and two daughters and their respective spouses and also the 6 grandchildren - our great-nieces and great-nephews.

The eldest of these is a young lady who is 9 years old - very beautiful child, the daughter of the second son and his wife. Fred is her Godfather and they tease each other when they meet - they are actually very close and it is obvious how fond of each other they are. However, Fred drives her batty with one thing! He always asks her if he can cut some of her hair off to make some new paintbrushes to paint his model soldiers with. It absolutely drives her potty and the more she gets wound up the more he teases her - there is always an uncle like that in every family and Fred is the one.

She has beautiful black shiny shoulder length hair - straight and silky and shining. :)

Well she turned up today with her parents with her hair curled into very tight curly ringlets. She still looked beautiful but I thought no more about it until suddenly Fred started:-

"Leslie-Anne - will you do me a favour - can I cut some of your hair off to make some.....................!"

She interupted him with a ..."No, sorry Uncle Fred, my hair is curly so it won't work for paintbrushes!!"

We all howled with laughter - especially at her smug expression and Fred was (for once) speechless! :shock:

Her mother then told us that she spend yesterday evening curling her hair up tight especially for today! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Re: Canny Great-Niece!

Post by Zhuyos mom »

What an adorable story! Leslie-Anne will grow up with some fun memories of her Granduncle Fred, that's for sure. I'm sure she has grown since I met her 2 years ago - I think her two front teeth have returned?!

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

What a cute story. She must have been fidgety, waiting for the inevitable question!
chris

Post by chris »

That just made me crack up! :-)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

She has grown and this is a picture taken at her first communion last year. The two front teeth have indeed grown. I hope she will have good memories of Fred as her own grandfather has been dead for 25 years - long before ever she was born. She has seen photographs of him and he and Fred were very alike. Her other grandparents are way over the other side of the world in the Phillipines and even though she has visited them with her parents a couple of times it is not the same as seeing them as often as she sees us so I think that is why she loves Fred. I nearly cried when she took him by the hand and told our priest that he was her Godfather.

Yes Audrey, I did not notice her being itchy before the question but afterwards I realised why her mother was smiling so much - they were both waiting and relished Leslie-Anne's response.

Fred stopped with his mouth open and it was obvious he was "dead on the starting line".

So funny.

(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Judy, these children are adorable!!
Stories like this are what wonderful memories are made of!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I agree with Sherill, these are indeed what wonderful memories are made of

Thanks Sweetpea!