Bad reputations, Chows and chowchow.org

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bad reputations, Chows and chowchow.org

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm sure this post will be deleted or moved but just letting you Moderators know what's going on.

Not only do Chows need some good ambassadors this site needs some also, This site is getting a worse reputation then the Chow breed and Craiglist. I am getting some bad responses about this site from some major rescues around the US. When I called NW rescue this morning and mentioned Sisko was posted on here she just ripped this site apart said she would never come on here nor post a Chow on here, to many BYB"S and a dangerous environment for Chows and wouldn't release a Chow to anyone from here unless they were thoroughly screened. She was nice and gave me the info I wanted and we talked Chows for awhile but she hates this site, this isn't the first rescue and shelter I have heard this form. The moral is how can we rescue and push for the good of the breed if the Chow rescues won't come on here, don't want their Chows posted on here nor adopt to people on this site.

Don't bitch at me for this I'm just letting you know what's going on out there in the Chow world. Maybe its time to take a look at the priorities of this site.....
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chris

Re: Bad reputations, Chows and chowchow.org

Post by chris »

Jeff... I consider you a good friend and I love you dearly, you have been a part of this site for ever, but you are very difficult at times. Even you yourself have admited this. The reason why this place is getting a "bad rap" is because of you and a few others. Instead of helping someone (and you know I dont agree or like it either) find a good home for their chow you bash and attack them, same goes for breeders. Do I agree with some of the practices of breeding? NO... and you know that too. But when someone comes on here looking for help I see more and more they are being pushed away. Why would someone come here for help... all they think is going to happen is they are going to get chastised (sp?) for trying to help a Chow. It has nothing to do with the moderators... we try to keep the peace without taking away freedom of speach, but some of you go WAY to far.. WAYYYYYY to far!

my 2 cents...

Chris
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Help is not saying "oh you poor thing we understand, go ahead and dump the Chow you have our prayers"

Rescue's have no idea who I am and I sure don't bash this site to rescues. I tell everyone with a Chow to come on here and I tell every rescue and shelter I call to come on the site but all I get is bad responses from people that actually do care about a Chows life. If you notice the only time I bash anyone is when they are dumping or not taking care of their Chow. Its not the quantity of the members its the quality of the members and its not me they are complaining about its the BYBS and the welcoming the BYB's and Dumpers are getting, these people are the reason Rescues are in business why would they praise these people then when someone try's to save the Chow and puts the Chows life first that person gets bashed.

Like I said its not me bashing the site it's the rescuers and shelters. NW Chow rescue and the others don't know who the hell I am or anything about my post, how could they if they won't come on here. Alot of these rescues have contacts all over the US and international you piss off one rescue what do you think they are going to say to everyone they know when they get bashed for trying to save a Chow, word spreads fast in the Chow world, rescues, Shelters and Chows in Shelters should be top priority on this site thats the only way your going to get these Chows saved.

If people think I'm so bad try reading some of the blogs on the rescue sites thanking me for what I have done to save some of these Chows and most of these Chows are 2 to 3 thousands miles from me. Call AK, Adopt a Chow LA and a few others and tell them what a bad guy I am see what they say.

Your the only one on this site that knows me it's strange how you use to always agree with my post but now the change of views, Guess its a female over 35 age thing. an't that right Chris. Love? Yuck. Save your 2 cents for some Nutro treats.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

What the heck are you talking about Jeff... ? (Auddy and I are talking on the phone... were talking about you... she says HI) LOL. Babe.. I didn't say YOU are bashing the site.. I said you are part of the problem. ;-) And you know it. I tell people that Im sorry about their situation, but I dont condone what they are doing... who cares about the PEOPLE... care about the chow.. they obviously can't or won't care for it anymore, so LETS THINK ABOUT THE CHOW and by bashing the "owner" what are we doing... driving them and the chow away. They look for help ... we should help for the chows sake. Jeff.. just like your best friend sais.. "you should sometimes keep your comments to yourself"..
I agree with most of what you post my dear.. but sometimes I think you and a few others get carried away which drives the Chow (its suposid people) away. Now when they leave.. how do we help the chow eh? WE DONT... and whos fault is that? And how many breeders do we have on here... 3 or 4... sure.. maybe backyard but they are trying to be better.... and some people want a purbread... and not a rescue.. thats just life... we have to accept that. People are who they are.... so... you can voice your opinoin... but lets not over do it... get it? (probably not... because you my love are way to stuborn and set in your ways) and as far as the female comment.. I think you have been going through menopause since I have been on this site... ;-)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sorry, I was trying out my new Nose hair trimmer, Do woman need those? Get the Conair one if you do.

"I think you have been going through menopause since I have been on this site... "

Should I run down to Wal-mart for Pills and acupuncture?

ImageImage
chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow »

Is it something in the water?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Only on the west coast...hey Jeff we are still talking (Chris). She says 'Hi Baby!'
chris

Post by chris »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Should I run down to Wal-mart for Pills and acupuncture?
Actualy. don't do the acupuncutre... it may hurt you ;-) and walmart is too slow.. try Osco.. hehehhehe xoxoxo
nuke

Post by nuke »

Hey Jeff

At least these two beasties love you. They only want to bitch-slap me.

And I am a pretty boy!

Of course, just kidding ladies!

:)
chris

Post by chris »

/:) We only bitch slap ya cuz we love ya too and when you try to play a trick on us.. what else are we gonna do? eh? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pretty boy? LOL
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"And I am a pretty boy!"?

Sorry Nuke but I use Nivea anti aging skin mosturizer recomended by my Derm but I Need something that dosn't make you feel like you just walked though Jiffy Lube and had an Oil Change done on yourself. The Playboy girl down the street says to use St Ives I think its called plus I use Civant Skin care trying to regain my youthfull apperaence after years of sun damage now how preaty boy is that. At least it has the Playboy Model and her sister two doors down talking to me.

What Trick?

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:"And I am a pretty boy!"?

Sorry Nuke but I use Nivea anti aging skin mosturizer recomended by my Derm but I Need something that dosn't make you feel like you just walked though Jiffy Lube

What Trick?
Jeff, please private me. I have a problem with my nails... they seem very brittle.. was wondering if you had any advice,

Aslo, do you have any suggestions for an overnight facial cream?

Thanks.
xxoo's
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

nuke wrote:
Jeff&Peks wrote:"And I am a pretty boy!"?

Sorry Nuke but I use Nivea anti aging skin mosturizer recomended by my Derm but I Need something that dosn't make you feel like you just walked though Jiffy Lube

What Trick?
Jeff, please private me. I have a problem with my nails... they seem very brittle.. was wondering if you had any advice,

Aslo, do you have any suggestions for an overnight facial cream?

Thanks.
xxoo's

Vitamin D. 1000 IU's aday for nails. Can't get into the face stuff yet, I would go nuts if I had to put that greasy junk on my face. However a good facial scrub, Oatmeal and vanilla, facial peel maybe once aweek with a good facial cream organic with Vitamin C and E should do the trick. Be careful with the E, might be to oily.... Damn, tell me I don't know what I'm doing.

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

:laughloud: Beauty tips from Jeff & Nuke!!! :shock: Too Funny!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Age is a state of mind. Here's a link about andropause.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-menopause/MC00058
Vit D only works with a combination of Calcium. Ask your doctor for dosage. Sunshine provides the body with plenty of Vit D. Get out and enjoy the sun, eat your cheese and yoghurt and you'll be fine.
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.d ... 10cfe793cd____
Sally Hansen Maximum Growth nailpolish works for split nails. It comes in plain for the men.
http://www.sallyhansen.com/section_alt.cfm?section=8

I wonder if aging chows go through some sort of menopause?
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

hmmm... how do you use this quote thingy, I never get it right, but I'll try. :D
Not only do Chows need some good ambassadors this site needs some also, This site is getting a worse reputation then the Chow breed and Craiglist. I am getting some bad responses about this site from some major rescues around the US. When I called NW rescue this morning and mentioned Sisko was posted on here she just ripped this site apart said she would never come on here nor post a Chow on here, to many BYB"S and a dangerous environment for Chows and wouldn't release a Chow to anyone from here unless they were thoroughly screened. She was nice and gave me the info I wanted and we talked Chows for awhile but she hates this site, this isn't the first rescue and shelter I have heard this form. The moral is how can we rescue and push for the good of the breed if the Chow rescues won't come on here, don't want their Chows posted on here nor adopt to people on this site.
Thanks for posting this Jeff. That is really sad. I would hope that they wouldn't just do a blanket statement like that, there are so many members on here so super wonderful. It wouldn't be fair to not release a chow to anyone here. With the site growing, you're bound to get a number of varying opinions. Anyone, rescues, breeders, members should come here with the assumption that we all come from varying backgrounds, varying levels of knowledge and varying opinions. But that goes for any online forum. I remember when I joined my best friend actually suggested finding a chow forum, but she also cautioned to take everything with a grain of salt and be critical in evaluating suggestions and opions. I think that everyone should take that advice.

Now what would happen if all of a sudden everyone with even a small amount of knowledge on a subject stopped posting, what would all the people who don't know about byb's or rescue or puppy mills, or why it's important to be gentle with animals and firm do? They would never get the information they need to be armed with to make decisions? At the very least we all give each other food for thought I think. I love this forum, I would be lost without it. I've made so many amazing friends and have learned SO much about this amazing breed, about health, nutrition and about training. I love that fact that people can come here to learn about chows. Remember when I first joined? I was utterly clueless!! :D Jeff, you were among the first people to respond to my questions and I am so super grateful for that. It's an individual member's, poster's or lurkers responsibility to decide what to act on and what to absorb and waht to discard as garbage! :D It all goes back to the saying "do you believe everything you read?" :D What I read here, I think I'm a better chowparent for having read it here and I'm so grateful to know all you wonderful people through this amazing forum. :D There are three things I would say have been life altering in my time with SD: our wonderful verteinary behaviorist, the gentle leader easy walk harness and first and foremost this forum! How many people, including myself, came here asking "I've heard the reputation that chows are mean, should we get one/keep one?" etc. Honestly, there's a chance that Special D would've remained a foster and my chowbaby had it not been for this amazing site.

No one should make us feel bad about being a part of community striving to better the life of chows, not a byb, not a breeder, and not a rescue. I love the fact that after learning so much here, I can try to pass on that knowledge and whatever else I pick up along the way. Whatever small way I can contribute I am grateful and I try as best as I can knowing that I never ever want a chow chow to suffer for any reason. This has become one of my life's passions.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Sorry about my previous post, way off topic. But this is the Community Discussion. I do believe it but I don't believe that a rescue would avoid this site. So many chows desperate to find forever homes. I believe that 99% of all chow lovers here are good chow parents. Or try to be.

If there are several rescues who would not let members here have one of their chows, I think that would be due to malicious gossip by a group of rescues. Or call it mass hysteria. Some people are like sheep, blindly follow others.

When my first chow Luna was aging, I needed some help, I needed advice. I didn't get it from the group I joined, I won't mention the group. Half the members on that group were super nasty, because my chow was PB but I didn't have papers. She was an open faced, longish legged chow. What was I supposed to do when I rescued her, say to the foster mom, I'm sorry I don't want this chow (Luna), she has an open face, she doesn't look like any of Martha Stewart's chows. Now that would have been dumb not to have rescued her, after the foster mom had tried for months to find a home for this chow. I think some of the rescues who don't want anything to do with this group must be a similar bunch I dealt with years ago. Arrogant, pompous idiots.

When Luna suddenly went downhill within hours, I had no one to turn to. I didn't know about this forum. I can't even remember how I found this forum. All I know had I known about chowchow.org, I would have gotten advice from someone here.

I think this forum with all it's skirmishes, arguments, hostility some members develop, it's still a great place to meet for anyone who needs advice for their chow or their personal life. The chow meets have been successful. Something right must be going on here. Maybe familiarity breeds contempt. To survive in this world one cannot be thin skinned. I hope some of the rescues, will have a change of heart.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

sit_by_the_beach wrote:Age is a state of mind. Here's a link about andropause.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-menopause/MC00058
Vit D only works with a combination of Calcium. Ask your doctor for dosage. Sunshine provides the body with plenty of Vit D. Get out and enjoy the sun, eat your cheese and yoghurt and you'll be fine.
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.d ... 10cfe793cd____
Sally Hansen Maximum Growth nailpolish works for split nails. It comes in plain for the men.
http://www.sallyhansen.com/section_alt.cfm?section=8

I wonder if aging chows go through some sort of menopause?
You were on topic, Rescues, Menopause, sun and skin care was the topic.

I said Vitimin D for Nails becouse I heard my Daughter telling a friend that since she stated taking Vitimin D her nails have gotten thicker.

I spent my life in the sun and still do but now I'm paying for it, I had this tiny little white bump under my left ear you could barley see so because my daughter kept nagging me to have it looked at a couple of weeks ago I went to a dermatologist, It turned out to be basal cell carcinoma so they had to cut out about a 4 inch long strip from the bottom of my ear down the side of my jaw line. The derm did a good job though he had to reconstruct the area using pieces of skin from the back of my ear so now you can barley see it. Another guy in the office had a tiny white bump on his nose, by the end of the day they had taken off all of his nose then had to reconstruct his nose from his butt, I guess you can call him butt face now. Every time I go in they are cutting or freezing something off me, all becouse of to much sun. I refuse to go back, they are the most knife happy people I ever saw but the before and after pictures of cosmedic surgery hanging on the walls with all the breast inplants are ok to look at.

Menopause? thats a Chris thing I know nothing about that but it seems to be a contageous female disoder that most females have all their lifes and just gets worse as they get older, I think it comes from to much bleach and hair products affecting the brain. Isn't it a female vocal disorder that keeps them talking all the time but say nothing?

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I totally agree with what both Katalin and Karin wrote. I think it is fine for rescues to thoroughly check out any adopter from this site- as they should for all potential adopters. Catering to BYB's is kinda funny, since the number of ALL our breeders can be counted with one hand. I invite any breeder who wants to join to do so. With all the warnings that are given about testing when the subject of breeding comes up, I would think we would influence some change to the positive in the way the breeder operates...one can always hope!

Nuke, dear...if you go out in the sun to get a boost of vitamin E, be sure to put some good strong sunscreen on, we don't want you burning to a crisp and ruining that soft, delicate skin!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I think it would be very nice on this site if nobody bitched at anybody else or tried to put them down. If people supported all the others. It people refrained from being "too clever" and did not try to outsmart the others.
We are all chow lovers - some know more than others - some are new to chows and some have moderate knowledge - I count myself among that group.
We come from all manner of backgrounds, ethnic groups, religions, occupations. Some of us are married, some are not. Some of us are well-off and some of us are of modest means. Some of us live in big houses some of us in little bungalows - like me. :wink:
The important thing to remember is that most of us do not know the situation of the others..............the next important thing to remember is that we all try to love our chows and do the best for them.
We should care about each other and try very hard not to smash each other to bits - not necessary. :shock:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Judy Fox wrote:I think it would be very nice on this site if nobody bitched at anybody else or tried to put them down. If people supported all the others. It people refrained from being "too clever" and did not try to outsmart the others.
We are all chow lovers - some know more than others - some are new to chows and some have moderate knowledge - I count myself among that group.
We come from all manner of backgrounds, ethnic groups, religions, occupations. Some of us are married, some are not. Some of us are well-off and some of us are of modest means. Some of us live in big houses some of us in little bungalows - like me. :wink:
The important thing to remember is that most of us do not know the situation of the others..............the next important thing to remember is that we all try to love our chows and do the best for them.
We should care about each other and try very hard not to smash each other to bits - not necessary. :shock:
It would be nice if no one dumped their Chows/dogs for redicules reasons or abused animals but that will never happen so the bitching will continue. I'm sure some others including my self would have other things to do in life then chasing down and trying to find homes for these dumped Chows using our time and money for some idiot but we do. I'm sure it gets to Laura, sean and others when they drive hundreds of miles using their time and money to save a chow then come home and read 10 more are being dumped or needing fast rescue from a shelter. Sure lets welcome someone that says who cares its only a pet.

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am not meaning that Jeff - and you know damn well I am not.

However, I obviously do not understand the situation so I will keep my mouth shut in future and let you all get on with it.

I suppose I could say that I am glad I live this side of The Pond but..................... :shock:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

That was an all around general comment not directed at your post, Humm guess it looked that way but it was meant in general for all those that don't like the complianing, Huh Chris.

If someone dumped their kid at your front door and said take care of this kid for me I don't have time anymore or the kid is in the way of my life style what would you say? thats the same way I look at these Chows, here clean up my mess for me.

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Excellent analogy, but that is not how I see it. I see it more like they are dumping their kids, they really do love them, but times are hard. If I can't find good parents, or if you tick me off, I'm selling them to pedophiles...Now look at the kids and say piss off.
SHELA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SHELA »

I know your asking how would we deal with a parent if they decided, if they didn't want their kids any more....I can answer that, my husbands cousin, dropped her daughter off at our house and inform us he can't deal with her anymore, she missed 67 days of school.....and he can't control her......this happen last night......to be honest with you, it comes down to how you handle things in life.........I believe life is short, and I want to enjoy life and be happy......my husband and I both decided that it not worth getting upset with the dad.....and we will do the best we can for her.........and try to see if we can help the dad and the daughter, to see if we can get things worked out........we are trying not to judge the dad, it will make things worst, and we don't want to upset the girl..........but if need be we will stand up to the plate and take care of her......I have two kids know.....13 and a 14 year old.......my kids were shocked that a parent would do that........and we try to teach our kids to have a positive attitude and not judge, yeah thats a little tricky.....lots of reminding, ......and yes we would help someone out in a heart beat........and to be honest with you.....I am sure most people that are giving up there animals are using a generic answer......there moving.......and there not' going to tell the real truth......like husband beating them and abusing the kids and family and dogs.......or they are using to much drugs ......we had a friend that had a dog that bitten someone (non chow) and there home insurance went up so high they couldn't afford it and the insurance company told them that if they got rid of the dog there rates would go down,and they wouldn't put it on there credit report because a claim was filed againts them and yes the friends did get rid of the dog but they didn't tell the new owners they were embarassed...................I believe everyone on this site, would rather die than seeing a chow in a bad home.........if they are placing there chow.....more than likely you won't change their minds and maybe the chow is better off.......or maybe educate them and help........people are human, if you yell and complain.............they will put a wall up........think about it, if someone attacks you, whats the first thing you will do, get mad, call them names and then you shut down and you don't want to listen to them........kinda like when the wife nags at hubby and he tunes you out.........same thing........so I believe it's a waste of time to attack someone........but at the same time.....I know people deal with things differently.......