Post neuter

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

BooBooBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post neuter

Post by BooBooBear »

I took Yoshi's lovely cone off his head last night and ever since he is acting really weird. I am so tired from being up with him until 5am because he wouldn't stop panting and walking around and around. He kept headbutting me as i lay on the couch and then he would just dive up on the couch with me. I know this sounds weird but it's true and i really don't want to take him back to vet if i don't need to, he doesn's like it. Is this normal after a neuter? He has been fine since last Saturday and then i take his cone off and he is so different. I think my hubby hated the cone thing more then Yoshi did! Do you think he might need pain pill? I did take his tempperature (oh, joy that was fun, especially by myself) and he was 102, which is normal right? He is on meds for that hot spot, the vet said she was treating him for bacterial infection. Hydrox 50mg and ceph 5oomg. He is fine with the other pets but i'm just a little worried about that heavy panting.

Samantha

Leo(Booboobear) 12/23/1993-3/3/2007

"You'll Always Be In My Heart"
I will always cherish your unconditional friendship!!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Post neuter

Post by vicster605 »

When was he neutered?? Last week?? If so I would call the Vet and tell them what he is doing....could be a reaction to one of the meds he's on?? Hope not but I would call......he may be excited that you took the cone off too:wink:
Hope he's feelin' better soon

Thanks Sweetpea!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I got Shug neutered 10 or 11 days ago and he acted weird for several days after and he never had to wear the cone. He mellowed out after 3 or 4 days though so not sure what to tell you about your guy. It never hurts to call the vet and just tell them how he is acting though.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Mental/mood changes, difficulty breathing, pain, etc., are also adverse effects of certain meds. If you weren't given a client information sheet listing all adverse effects, call the doctor and describe what's going on.