Southern Chow Fest 2008??

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Southern Chow Fest 2008??

Post by vicster605 »

Any plans for a Southern Chow Fest this year???? Any Southerners interested?????

Thanks Sweetpea!
jerryo

Re: Southern Chow Fest 2008??

Post by jerryo »

You KNOW we'll be there, as soon as we figure out where "there" is, and when to show up. :D

Benny ]):)
Lady :o)
JerryO 8-}

(BobbyCat :twisted: regrets he can't make it)
Yet another Sweetpea masterpiece
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

We would be interested, of course it would depend on many variables!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

whats south ....

i am supposed to be down in Northern LA [bossier/Athens/Ruston] in May for a wedding.
sis in law has a deer camp house out by Gibsland[ where Bonny & Clyde met end] we stay at ..

ya'll come on down now Y'hear ?

then again we have an open door policy for chows in Dover Tn too....
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I was gonna see if anyone was interested in a ChowFest on the Bayou or a Big Easy Chow Fest lol, have a pool, BBQ Site and lots of Chow room and a couple camp sites Oh and I'm a darned good cook, and theres site seeing lol. Now Bubba, Thats as South as you can get without fallin' in the Mississippi :lol: :lol: BUT I'm open for anything close enough to drive too. :wink: Bossier City is about 4 hrs from here.....Not sure about Dover Tn. I need to see how far it is for me.....I know Gattlingburg is about 12 hrs.....is Dover closer or farther away??? I know Map Quest lol

Thanks Sweetpea!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

There's always this place:
http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/pa ... omeryBell/
http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/pa ... l/lodging/

Right in my back yard, but Sharon has actually stayed here with JR and Cheyenne, so she could probably tell you more about it than I could.
They have "Rustic Cabins" for camping, I assume that means a roof. :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

That looks like a nice place :D I'm all for scenery....we don't have hills down here ya know :roll:

Thanks Sweetpea!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Yeah, but your crawfish are bigger. :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Yup, and we know how to cook em' too :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Whee doggay!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Oui, etouffee!
http://www.cajunfood-recipe.com/seafood ... wlink.html

mmmmmm..... crawdaddy goodness.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Hi Vicky,

We are definitely interested in another Southern Chow Fest! We've got a commitment the first week of April and will try to make the Jazz Fest for April 25 if I can get off from work. If you decide to host it let us know what we can do to help since we only live an hour away.

Nita & Marty
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hey Nita & Marty, have missed you, hope all is well with you & yours. And mostly how is sweet lil' MiMi doing??? I would love to host a Big Easy Chow Fest but would need some takers on the adventure. But you know we could always have a Mini Chow Fest On The Bayou. You, Marty, & MiMi...and maybe Jerryo, his new bride Susan, Benny & Lady.....any other takers??? Tammy what about you & Butters?? You know I can deal with Chows with attitude around here and besides I would love to make friends with that big hunk of a Chow Boy you have :wink:
I was thinkin' June would be nice....got a new grandbaby due in April, could be end of March though.......then everything gets back to normal around here...........and if its only us really Southerners we could do a Crawfish Boil!!!! Ciaobella you sound like you've been down here and have tasted our GOOOOOD Food lol!!!! Worth the trip, ya know :wink: Come on down.....it would be a good time!!!
Nita, as far as getting here.......we are on the Westbank and its only 2 turns off of 10, the third would be in my driveway so its VERY VERY easy to find and safe :lol: :wink: I know the scared to cross the river mode, everyone gets in cross the lake :lol: :lol:
Anyone else interested??? Jerryo how bout it since it was your idea????? :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicky,

I've been reading most of the posts but I must have missed the one about Jerry and his new bride! Congratulations Jerry & Susan!

Miss Mimi is just beautiful with her full winter coat. I'm dreading when she begins to seriously shed it!

As for June, that sound good to me. Crawfish, jambalaya, boiled crabs - any of it will be good! Just let us know what we can do to help.

Nita
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Ah, Vic, it's just wishful thinking on my part. As a free lancer, and with this economy, I can't just pick up and go when I want to... got to get those jobs when I can. It's a shame, but I know you guys will have a great time.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I will have to talk it over with DH. We have never been to NO. However it looks to be about a 14-15 hour drive. YIKES. I am seriously in the middle of nowhere!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Texas Panhandle to the Big easy .. got to cross texas the long way .. i think you Aught to genetrate your own fest down at the canyon..

http://www.palodurocanyon.com/

LOOK AT THE HOODOO !!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodoos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palo_Duro_Canyon

i am about to loose my job so i will try to travel there.. since fuel cost so much i am going to travel by dog cart.. hummm as slow as my chow walks better start now !!!!
michael
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Isn't that the truth. If you start now you may make it in a year or so!!

The canyon would be neat but I am not sure of their animal policy. Besides that I am the only one up here in this lonely part of the world!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The country of Texas has alot of members, but yer all spread out to the four winds...Maybe hitch those wagons up, and get a move on...
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I've always complained that Ms is such a long state to drive.......everytime I leave I have to go UP it to get anywhere and Ms seems to last a long long time. BUT I haven't had the pleasure of crossing Tx the long way lol I have a feeling after driving to Dallas that if I ever did go the long way thru Tx. Ms would feel like a skip and a jump after I did :lol: :lol: Looks like NOT ONE but TWO Mississippi's :lol: :lol:
Tammy, Everytime I look to see where you and Butters are I get that song stuck in my head.....
Amerillo By Morning
Up From San Antoine....
Everything That I Got, Is Just What I Got On....
I Ain't Got A Dime But What I Got Is Mine
I Ain't Rich But Lord I'm Free!!!!
Amerillo By Morning
Amerillo Is Where I'll Be :-oo
We have always wanted to do the Grand Canyon, so when we decide to make the trip......we are going to have to detour see if we can find you and the Butters....
Thats right Michael, hitch up that wagon and get a move on.....we can cook ya some Crawfish WHENEVER you get here :lol: :lol:
Oh Well Nita, looks like just us :cry:

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I know this State is crazy big. We are going to the coast for a little get out town this year. 12 hours to the coast!! Yiippie. And the song says up from San Antone, but he really means 9-10 hours.

Anyone is welcome to stop in and see us when traveling this way!!! :D
SweetPea Rocks!!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Just to give a little perspective to those of you who have not experienced Texas driving distances, I live in east Texas. That means I'm closer to the Atlantic Ocean than I am to El Paso out in west Texas. If I drive to the Pacific Ocean, El Paso is over half way there. I could drive to Chicago in about the same time as it would take to get to Amarillo where Butters lives.

There was an old saying back in the railroading days, "The sun has rize, the sun has set, And here we is in Texas, yet!"

The up-side is that we are used to driving a LONG way for a ChowFest. :D
Yet another Sweetpea masterpiece
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

I HATE driving out of Texas. A whole 8-10 hours of NOTHING. Uggh... But for a chow fest, this will happen if we can make it =) Like TJ, there are many variables, the biggest of which is that our baby girl is due in August... I'll be just as hot as Pudding this summer! Nothing like walking a mile in their shoes huh?
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I never check this section, but saw someone mention Southern Chow Fest in another topic. Any more plans being made? I spent my 1st honeymoon in New Orleans, but won't hold that against the Big Easy. :P Afterall, two of my pack came from Louisiana (as far as I know). Depending on where it is and when, I might be able to do a roadtrip with Bear. I'm afraid I couldn't handle all of my pack at once. Besides, Ping isn't very social and would probably have a heart attack. :shock:

On the topic of a Texas Chow Fest...San Antonio is one of the most dog-friendly cities in the US. Lots of hotels allow dogs. There's even one downtown that has a canine consierge. And while Louisiana might have their crawdads, we have margaritas and fajitas!! But if anyone wants to spend any time outside, the Fest better happen soon (before June) unless you like broiling in the South Texas heat.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

If there is crawdaddy's at your ChowFest, I think it will be paws up for Gwrol! Mr. B, start gassing up your performance machine!!
Attachments
Gwrolcrawdadfest.jpg
Gwrolcrawdadfest.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 9905 times