Definition of zoomie

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Definition of zoomie

Post by socialwork555 »

You all talk about zoomies and I don't know what they are. Please explain. Is this phenomena particular to chows?
Christiner
Christine and Paz

Junglee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Definition of zoomie

Post by Junglee »

Hi Cristine. A "zoomie" is indeed a particular phenomena to Chows. :)
And great to watch. A zoomie is when they run like crazy in circles, jump on the couch and back on the floor, run all over the house in a burst of energy (usually short, lol). MIne, after 2 or 3 minutes of intense zoomies ends flat on the floor. And after catching his breath starts drinking water. After that a good nap.
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

christine, as a chow owner, im sure you have witnessed zoomies and you didnt even know it.lol.
zoomies: uncontrollable excited running, knocking anything/anyone down in a chows way. there may or not be a specific pattern. the crazed look is always in the chows eyes. as quickly as it starts is as abruptly as it stops. may last anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes.
sound familiar??????????
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

A number of us see zoomies are best described as a burst of joy. :D It's when they all of a sudden, completely out of nowhere will take off running in circles. They usually do it aerodynamically and pull tehir little tails down, their ears go back and they just run. Fast and furious, and with lots of precision. It can sometimes be human induced, but no human necessary is a rule of thumb. :D Special loves it when we encourage him once he gets going. He does it inside bouncing off the bed and futon and he likes to include everyone. He does it outside too, on my parents yard, when he's playing with other dogs and even on leash, which I don't like too much because I worry he'll hurt himself.

When we first got Special, I posted asking about why they do this and is it okay that Special's tail is down when he does it? Does this mean he's not happy, etc? I got some awesome responses, but the one I remember the most is sweet Milly and Mabel saying "we're chow chows, we can wear our tails anyway we like." :D :inlove:

I've had friends tell me that their breeds do it too and I've seen some attempts at zoomies by other breeds, but they enver come close to a chow zoomie. There are some videas of chow zoomies in the photo section, I put one up of Special too. The last time he zoomied, was at Petsmart when he wanted to play with a little Bichon, the Bichon just sat down and watched him like he thought Special was a little off. Of course, this annoyed Special because well, why wouldn't anyone be thrilled to get in on a zoomie? :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

If you've never seena zoomie, you'll recognize it as soon as you do! Brandy does them in the living room around the coffee table and wants ME to join in! She'll sometimes play growl, snarl a little and try to grab on to my sleeve or pants leg as she goes on, and then gets offended that I don't want to join in. She will NEVER jump up on the furniture, even when invited, but sometimes when I pat the couch cushion, that seems to be an invitation to start a zoomie, and off she'll go!

Cecelia
Cecelia

"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Zoomies are awesome fun to watch. However, I saw a BULLDOG zoomie to rival chow chows the other day. Alf was delighted to find a dog that zoomied like he does. The pair of them were great.... No camera of course :( :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

sad news

Post by socialwork555 »

I am DEVASTATED to report that Gordo, in fact, has no zoomies. :cry:

The only thing he does is jump up and down and try to engage us in some wrestling game (which we do). It's like this thumping thing-----it doesn't really remind me of zooming in anyway. It means "it's play time" and "I will now be silly." :lol:

As for Paz, he has the general puppy traits, which probably by their nature include "zoomie-like" behavior. I saw two dogs chasing one-another on a posted video, and I remember thinking how ODD and NON-Gordo like it was. When other dogs chase Gordo around, he just kind of stands there and watches them, thinking "how uncivilized." :shock:

By the way, on another note, Paz is making progress at home---telling us when he needs to go out, being patient when he's in his crate, not biting the cat. But on day two of Petsmart class, he bit two other puppies that charged at him (he does no charging----he's extra cautious among those wild and crazy puppies). #-o I mean, it wasn't serious, the puppies weren't injured, but we definitely seem to have an insecurity/aggression issue. This all happened during the "walking your dog" lesson. :wink:

Thanks for the info guys!
=D=
Christine and Paz

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Paz might do zoomies later on.
Coco didn't do any the first weeks we had her, but since then, it's zoomie time several times a week!
It is really strange because Coco is a lazy chow, she moves like a cat, very slowly... but when she's on zoomie mode, nothing can stop her, she's fast like a space shuttle, jumping on the couches and running around as fast as she can in the apartment.... :lol:

My late dashchund used to do the same zoomies.
Gordo is maybe not a zoomie guy, but if he sees Pax doing some in the future, he might join in too!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socialwork555 »

You are right..........I have a feeling that zoomies are contagious! I want them to start zoomies ASAP for our viewing pleasure. =D=
Christine and Paz

chris

Post by chris »

you have to almost.. "kid proof" your house if your chows zoomie!.. ;-)

On the bed, circle on the bed, off the bed, down the hall on the couch to the chair back to the floor down the hall out the door down the deck steps circle the yard once, up the deck staris through the kitchen down the hall slides into a turn on the bed, circle on the bed, off the bed to the hall , down the hall back on the couch (from the couch) to the chair off the chair "STOP".... and look around... ok done.

The look?... Crazy eyed (you can actualy see the white part of their eyes at the top) ears back, tail sorta streight... almost looks like the back legs don't even touch the floor because it looks like they are almost dragging their butt. hehehehehe! :wink: \:D/
socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socialwork555 »

Sounds very funny!

I can see what a mess it could make!
Christine and Paz

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

.............................yes, then if the back door is open - out through the kitchen, round the greenhous, back in and through the house again - out again and round the shed then right round the garden again and behind the greenhouse, then in and just when you wonder where they are - they are fast asleep in their beds in the bedroom - game over! Didn't you know!! :laughloud: But they forgot to tell.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Down the yard (30ft), bum slams against fence, gives the chow an extra boost to zoom to the front of the house, a little twirl on the hind legs, something like a (very clumsy) ballerina and off again to the fence, anybody, anything that gets in the way, including me, gets either pounced at, or ignored or thrown to the side. The summer zoomies are 15 seconds, winter ones may last as long as a minute. My chow 3 years old when I adopted her didn't do any zoomies till she felt comfortable here, one year later.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

Well, I feel great that Brandy feels comfortable enough to do zoomies in less than a month of living with me! It's funny about the eyes, though - Brandy gets this look in her eye and just, I dunno, an air/attitude just before she takes off and I just KNOW that I'm about to see a zoomie take place even before it happens! They are fun to watch!

Cecelia
Cecelia

"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Zoomies can happen in early chowlinghood as well. Lily was with us only a week or 2 when she did her first zoom. She ran a figure 8 pattern from the living room into the kitchen. She ran 4 laps before she was done. The most amazing part of the zoom was when she ran behind the kitchen table, then came back to the LR running under the table. All the chairs were pushed in, and she expertly leapt over the chair rungs, like a racer jumping hurdles. I almost interrupted her, for fear she would miss a jump and hurt herself, but she looked like a chubby little gazelle. Haley and I looked at each other like we had brought home a chowling possessed by a devil!
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

i am LMAO reading these definitions of zoomies. Jade gets them every once and awhile. She is a little speed demon :twisted: She will run under the picnic table every time and we still don't know how she has not hit her head yet. Nanook gets the zoomies every time we come back from our walk. We call them cool down laps from the walk. He's not nearly as fast as Jade but he looks so dam cute. He feels he is running a gazillion miles an hour. He usually does 2 laps then done! Inside, the carpet, couch and pillows are usually all discombuberated by the time he is done. They have been doing them for years and everytime is like the first time for me when i watch them. I laugh so hard my sides hurt. =D=
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly also gets a look in her eye - then she - gosh, how can I explain it - she lifts both her front legs off the floor and slams them both down then off she goes. Mabel starts hers off with great bit goofy play signals and then off she goes.
I used to worry at first but they never bump in to anybody, they can speed round the shed, greenhouse or furniture and never touch anything - their aim is amazing.
I love their zoomies - only we call them scoobies. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Wilbur has done them since very early after we got them. Rowlee used to do them too big time. Both of their zoomies involve jumping on couches and beds and running flat out under tables and furniture. It did and still does frighten me at times because I worry about Wilbur hurting himself. He puts his ears flat back against his head and just runs like a mad dog. Usually then end with a tail chase in a circle and then he plonks down to rest. They are such a wonderful thing to watch.

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I posted this in another thread:
WELL!! Someone lent me this book called the "dog bible" or something like that. Believe it or not, there is a section actually titles ZOOMIES!!!!! It said:

Don't stop them from having zoomies because sooner or later they will get too old to "zoom" and you'll miss how cute it is, enjoy it while it lasts.

sooo, I guess all breeds do "zoomies".. :) Sid still does them and I yell ZOOMIES in a high squealy voice and he zooms faster. ha ha ha
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I LOVE ZOOMIES!! Chen (chow) and RA (non chow) race around as fast as they can around the back yard, Chen tries his hardest to catch RA but she is WAY too fast!! Cai Li is the sneaky one and will wait on the other side of the shed so that when they come around that side she can ambush them and runs full force towards them and does what I consider a body slam, she throws all her weight from her shoulders and literally knocks them over! Cai Li doesn't zoomie much but to watch the other two is hilarious!! I would have to say that zoomies are my absolute favorite thing to watch!!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Thats funny Cherie, I do the same thing......I see the look in their eyes and I clap my hands and say ZOOOOOOMIE in a high pitched voice and they both take off. Not together anymore but they used too. Kearra will actually ping off of me if I don't watch out :shock:
I've told this story before but for the ones that haven't heard it.....when I first got Kearra, she was only about 2 or 3 mos old. My step son came over and was playin' kinda rough with her when IT happened. Kearra got so excited she took off around the sofa and out of the room, around the dining room table slipping and sliding on the tile back into the room and jumping about 3 feet towards my step son. He stuck his arm up and one of her sharp baby teeth scrapped his arm.... :shock: :shock: We had no idea what she was doing and of course had heard all these horror stories....my step son said OH NO she is aggressive :lol: :lol: That was the first time I ever saw a zoomie :lol: :lol: I learned about them on this site. :D So at least when you see one you will know what it is :lol: :lol:
I can tell you boxers do zoomies too. Another unforgetable moment was one day when I was playing with Kearra in the yard....she started doing her zoomies and I was clappin' my hands and she was running around the yard....I had forgotten my daughters 75# Boxer was in the yard too when she took off and literally knocked the props out from under me and I was laying flat of my back in the yard as she ran by lol!!! She tucks her nub and back in under and takes off too. Maybe she learned it from Kearra :idea:

Thanks Sweetpea!
socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socialwork555 »

So in other words Gordo is a old fart and possibly his zoomie days are over. #-o THat's ok though, I still have hope for Paz. :o If it happens I will probably feel compelled to go out and buy a video camera just to show you guys! Paz does chase his tail in circles.......maybe that's a precursor to zoomies. /:)
Christine and Paz

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

socialwork555 wrote:Paz does chase his tail in circles.......maybe that's a precursor to zoomies. /:)
Not sure if it's a precursor to zoomies, just make sure he doesn't bite the tail once he catches it... :wink:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socialwork555 »

Oh, he bites it! He has the best time chewing on his own tail. :?

I enjoy it. I think Gordo enjoys it too.........he feels so smart doing at something so simple =;
Christine and Paz

Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

Brandy usually ENDS her zoomies with a good ole fashioned game of chasing her tail! Then she's done for the night ... And it's a sight to behold when she chases that thing since it's curled so tightly to her back that it has put a permanent indentation in the hair back there! :lol:
Cecelia