Pray For Our Blue Girl - Pyrometria

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Pray For Our Blue Girl - Pyrometria

Post by Larry Harris »

Terrina and I pick up the Blue Girl we told you about and were shocked by her condition. This is the first cruelty / neglect case for us. We are heart sick and very worried she is not going to be with us to get better. Please send your prayers and positive thoughts!

In this case I very much agree with the people suck group, this girl should have never been treated like this. Her owner left her with a neighbor until he could find her a new home as he just lost his. The neighbor did not feed her for weeks and knew she had a discharge and needed to see a vet. He just left her in the garage to die. The owner was oblivious to this he thought all was well. We find out she is in need go to pick her up and the finger pointing starts, “she just will not eat we tried hot dogs today”, “the owner just left her with us”. Stupid people!

She weighs 25 pounds on her first vet visit you can feel every bone in her body, BTW our vet is horrified by her appearance. She is so week she can hardly stand on her own. We have never seen a Chow so thin. She is given antibiotics for her Pyrometria infection with instructions for a daily visit until she is strong enough for surgery. In the first few days she gains 4 pounds and she is starting to walk on her own, is she going to make it. Please lord help this girl she did nothing wrong.

Today she started passing a lot of fluid the infection is worse, she is not eating. Back to the vet for super antibiotic shots and an exam. We talk at length about how to proceed. We all know surgery is her only hope but we also know how dangerous it is for Chows to go under and with her so week we are terrified. She is scheduled for surgery Monday please god help her through this.

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pray For Our Blue Girl - Pyrometria

Post by fillyok »

Poor baby girl. Sending positive, healing thoughts your way. [-o| [-o|
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Things brings to mind my favorite southern saying...some people need killin! :evil:
Many prayers and warm wishes for this poor girl!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

Larry,

Unfortunately Ihave been through pyometra twice now. The first with Mrs. Tu before she was spayed and now again with my new girl about two months ago. Both times, the girls almost died. The both were very ill but made it through surgery just fine. Sophia, my new rescue, came to me in heat and I knew there was something not right with it. She was bleeding for way too long. I took her to the vet and they did a smear and said it looked normal. I persisted because Sophia continued to get more ill and they finally took her to surgery on a Wednesday -- her smear still looked good although blood tests were abnormal. The doc really did not think she was as sick as I knew she was. When they operated, the found that her left horn of her uterus had in fact ruptuered and she had peritonitis. I took her home a couple of hours after the surgery and it was amazing what the surgery and antibiotics did. She looked so much better by the next day and is now just a happy little spayed chow girl. good luck with your girl!
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Talk to Carolyn and read her post, her Chow just got home from the hospital yesterday from Pyrometria

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9551
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I'll NEVER UNDERSTAND!!! NEVER!!! How do people sleep at night :twisted: Killin's Right Laura!!! :twisted:
Larry, I'm so glad she made it to yours and Terrina's HUGS!!!
I'll be saying prayers for a speedy recovery, poor baby :cry:

Thanks Sweetpea!
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

The good news again here is that she is PASSING FLUID... this means that is is draining and not having the fluid build up in the uterus. This is likely a very good sign...

puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

The poor girl has you now, and likely is much comforted just having caring humans around her. We will be sending our thoughts and prayers.

Hannah, Dennis and Pudding
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Thank you everyone, yes she is draining and that is a good sign. We are worried by her weight she is so thin and week. With your thoughts, prayers and the grace of God she will make it ok. When she is up and chasing cats I will feel a lot better. She may become a permanent rescue here at the Harris home.

Larry
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

AWWWW Larry, Bless You.....I know she is going to LOVE you & Terrina so much for taking such good care of her. She looks like she is just beautiful and will be a nice addition to your gang. She will probably fill out in no time at all with some TLC. Is she eating good??? Maybe check with Dogdad, he had Yoshi fattened up and healthy in no time on some of Bama's secrets??? I can't remember exactly what he fed him but it worked wonders. Bama Burgers, Peanut Butter and others??
Can't wait to see her blossom into the beautiful Chow Girl you can see in her eyes.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Oh Larry and Terrina, I know you feel the pain, you are doing what you can and are truly her guardian angels. I hope you can save her but if not, please please do not blame yourselves. WE all know you are doing everything possible and are feeling her pain. I am so sickend on what people can do as I am sure you are and all of the members. I fed Yoshi Bama's boiled chicken recipe for Yoshi and lots of peanut butter. You guys know what you are doing, she is already improving after your care. I am sure she feels your love and won't give up if she can.

David
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I will be thinking about you on Monday. What a sweet girl with wonderful new parents. I hope everything goes well.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

I fed Yoshi Bama's boiled chicken recipe for Yoshi and lots of peanut butter.
David thanks, peanut butter? How did you give that to them? How did you prepare the chicken?

Larry
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

what the fark is wrong with people? "she didnt want any hotdogs today". arrrrrrrgghhh. this sh!t gets me soooo mad.
larry you are doing a wonderful thing with this sweetie.
we are sending hugs and prayers your way.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Larry and Terrina,
thank the Lord you came to this girls rescue! I know she will be fine under your watch.
I would try feeding her anything she will eat.if you can bake some chicken and white rice that would be good.
if shes that sick shes probably not hungry.wishing you all the best tomorrow and let us know what happens.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I wish you had posted this in the health forum.

Both chicken and peanut butter are high in inflammatory fats, and would be poor choices in this case, since there's already a lot of inflammation involved. Her body has also depleted her glutamine reserves, and used her muscles for fuel. Going through surgery will further deplete glutamine.

Rather than loading her with inflammatory fats, she needs glutamine rich protein supplements. There are several over-the-counter whey protein liquid supplements for debilitated dogs.

All best wishes...
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Oops yes it probably should have been in the health section, thank you kiwani for the information on the food.

Larry
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I wish you and the chow all the best on Monday. I will be thinking about you. This chow couldn't be with better people. Good luck tormorrow.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Hi Larry, I hope your girl will get stronger and be able to fight her way back to health. I often wonder how people who treated her this way would feel if they were treated so badly. I will pray for your girl and I hope she will soon be better.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

kiwani wrote:I wish you had posted this in the health forum.

Both chicken and peanut butter are high in inflammatory fats, and would be poor choices in this case, since there's already a lot of inflammation involved. Her body has also depleted her glutamine reserves, and used her muscles for fuel. Going through surgery will further deplete glutamine.

Rather than loading her with inflammatory fats, she needs glutamine rich protein supplements. There are several over-the-counter whey protein liquid supplements for debilitated dogs.

All best wishes...

Kiwani, Thanks so much for this information. I would have hated for Larry and Terrina to have fed what I fed Yoshi and have something happen. I guess I should have done more research on her condition before I suggested anything
David
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Sending good wishes your way...hope everything goes well tomorrow. This girls really needs a chance to know the love and devotion of a good owner. I can't think of anything more sad than a dog, of any breed, that never has an opportunity in their lifetime to know that there are people in this world that would do what ever they can to give them a good life.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

How is the little blue girl doing today?

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was wondering the same thing. Hope Larry or Terrina post some news soon on their little Blue Girl.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Hello Everyone,

Just back from the vet and our little blue is doing much better. As we thought the uterus was very large and infected the surgery went very well. There was some concern going in that they (Vets) would not be able to stop the bleeding. I guess the veins get very brittle with this disease. So our little blue is in the bedroom with me right now resting in her crate and she has company right next to her in a second healing crate.

Late Sunday night Naomi started bleeding and when I was washing her off I felt a growth in her belly near her back leg. So off to the vet we go. We find out she is in heat this may be the cause for some of the blood. We are very surprised as her old stupid person told us yep she has been fixed? So this morning she goes in to surgery with little blue and they both have the hysterectomy. Naomi had cyst on her ovaries causing a bad infection. In a few days she would have been just like our blue and in real danger. We are waiting to see if the swelling goes down with antibiotics to see where to go next with her.

I never new pyrometria was so common, many of our list members girls have had this. Guess if not treated as in our girl it can lead to death the toxic stuff getting into their system, hows that for Doc speak... Stuff :lol:

So both girls are resting and getting antibiotic shots every 24 hours from Doctor Mom. Terrina who is afraid of needles is giving the girls their injections =D= Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers keep them coming until these two are out and chasing the cats again.

Larry and Terrina
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yay. I'm so happy for the good news. Terrina is very brave to give shots. I think I'd give myself a shot before I'd give one to anyone else, especially a dog. I used to want to be a nurse, then I realized I couldn't give shots.
courtsey of Sweetpea