Bones itch update

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bones itch update

Post by Debbie »

Went to the vet's last week and she, an assistant and myself were able to get a blood sample from Bones. He was very nervous, but let her do her job while I held him at the head and told him what a great boy he is. He complained - kind of like how Chewbacca on Star Wars talks - but let the procedure happen. Included in the cost of the blood tests was a urinalysis, but do you think we could get a sample - I should have known that I would never win with a chow - I followed him around for 1 hour with a kidney basin in -14 celcius weather saying "go pee". I could have given several samples myself by the time I gave up.

My vet got the blood tests back Friday and no hypothyroidism - the blood panel ruled this out and shows a very healthy boy. So why the itch??? Aside from allergy tests and lifelong allergy shots what else could it be?

The vet and I talked about possible Staph infection, but she doesn't see it as that (random scab areas on his whole body, no foul smell, no elevated _____ - I don't remember what on the blood test would show a possible infection. She said we could try antibiotics, but not terribly hopeful.

Any thoughts??
I continue to give him Nutros and 1 capsule Omega 3 and 1 b complex each day.
:wall:
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Debbie...
all I can tell you is that between switching to Nutro and the B-complex and fish oil capsules, Koda's itching is all but gone. I can't remember the last time I sawy him scratch with one of his back paws and just every once in a great while, I see him chew one of his back legs. So I am kind of stumped. Hope you figure it out.
Nancy and Tai

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Hi Debbie -

Allergies could certainly be at the root of his problems. My Mom's dog has allergies and he chews/scratches raw spots on himself that scab up and are a mess at times.

His allergies are difficult to control because of a variety of other health problems he has, but sometimes simply going through an elimination diet will help. They do this for humans too. You can do a google search for "dog elimination diet" and probably get a lot of reading material. It takes a commitment to controlling everything he eats for awhile, but if it alleviates his itching it would be worth it.

Raw or homemade diets often work very well for dogs with problems, but that again is a big commitment.

Oh - when my dogs used to get hot spots (hasn't happened since I started feeding raw in 1998) I would use Gold Bond Medicated Powder on the spot. You can use this on raw spots if your dog is nibbling on himself too. It is pretty effective in drying up the spot and discourages the dog from chewing anymore. My Mom keeps a supply around for her dog and it's worked much better than the expensive ointments that the vet wants to prescribe.

Good luck, and hope you find what's making Bones itch!

(I have to tell you - when I first read the subject line I wondered how someone's bones itched .. *L*)

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

thanks for your comments and support.
I did change Bones' food from Nutros to California Naturals for about 3 months at one point in this process. It didn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if I would be a good idea to try the Solid Gold Wolf King food someone on this site mentioned. It is bison, salmon and brown rice. Maybe something that radical would work. The only other thing he gets to eat is Nutros lamb and rice treat bones so elimination diet would not be a problem. I would just need to change his food and stop giving him treats for a little while.

I named Bones because "Bones" is the complete opposite of what a chow is - you have to go through a lot of hair to get near to the bones. Also I had a chow named Bear at the time and liked the idea of Bear Bones. I teased my family that I was going to name the puppy *Censored Word* so I could yell out the back door "Bear *Censored Word*". I'm not quite that bold though :wink:
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I continue to give him Nutros and 1 capsule Omega 3 and 1 b complex each day."

---

In your previous thread, you mentioned starting him on Omega-3/6/9 from Costco. If you're still giving that supplement, then you're adding to the imflammatory 6's that he already has, and if the source of omega-3 is flax, then you won't have the same benefit as from Omega-3 fish oil.

I'm not keen on Nutro either, for a variety of reasons, and if you want to nourish the immune system use a greater variety of proteins than just lamb.

I would also eliminate the use of toxic chemicals around the house and garden. Eliminate dog shampoos with perfumes, and just use something basic and balanced for dog's skin pH.

bearlee36
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bearlee36 »

hi ,

just thought i'd put my 2 pence in :idea: , my chow had a bad skin complaint on his under carriage when he was a pup. After many expensive trips to the vets with blood tests, skin scrapes and a skin plug sample there were no conclusive signs that were pointing to the problem.

After many experiments we found that it was the floor cleaning product we were using on the tiled floors through out the bottom section of the house. I know it sounds daft but once it was changed to just hot water with baby steriliser in the problem disappeared. I'm not saying for one minute thats the problem butevery avenue is worth trying out, because I felt awful when he was constantly itching and it was all down to me keeping the house clean..... :shock:

Good luck,

Lee and Bear. :)
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Just out of curiosity Kiwani... IF you had to pick a certain dog food to feed a chow, what would it be? You said you weren't too keen on Nutro either... I was kind of surprised. Knowing that most here feed Nutro and you're usually an absolute sweet heart about gently suggesting other options. I can't say I remember you recommending any one dog food. Of course, I don't count on my memory much these day. LOL
Nancy and Tai

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Nancy, My top two choices: "Solid Gold" formulas and "Innova". I went into some detail about foods in the "what's everyone feeding" thread, if you're interested. I've mentioned my thoughts about Nutro several times, but I also realize that the ultra-premium brands aren't easily available everywhere, so supplementing with some fresh foods and eliminating as much of the 'junk treats' works as a compromise of sorts. ; )
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

Thanks for more feedback! I'm "hungry" for anything that may help the poor itchy Bones! Lee, that is very interesting about the floor cleaner. I'll keep that in the back of my mind if the 2 things I'm going to try now don't work.
Kiwani, you have a great memory. I did start with the 3 6 9, but changed to just 100% salmon oil for Bones.

What I will try now is my vet gave me a herbal supplement she used on her dog at one point called Skin Balance a chinese traditional formula. If that doesn't change anything, I will change to Solid Gold.

I don't want to do 2 things at once because then I won't know which one works, or should I go ahead with both and then eliminate the herbal supplement? I feel better with a plan and having the support and feedback from you all. It is so challenging, but I have some hope to continue to pursavere and Bones just goes along with anything looking up at me with trusting eyes.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "What I will try now is my vet gave me a herbal supplement she used on her dog at one point called Skin Balance a chinese traditional formula. If that doesn't change anything, I will change to Solid Gold."

---
The Chinese herbs in that formula are used to heal: boils, snake bites, insomnia, anemia, anxiety, fevers, diarrhea, dysentery, hepatitis, shingles, etc., etc. Basically, are anti-inflammatories, liver detoxifiers. Similar in some ways to anti-inflammatory omega-3's making cell walls more fluid and nourishing the immune system.

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

kiwani wrote:Nancy, My top two choices: "Solid Gold" formulas and "Innova". I went into some detail about foods in the "what's everyone feeding" thread, if you're interested. I've mentioned my thoughts about Nutro several times, but I also realize that the ultra-premium brands aren't easily available everywhere, so supplementing with some fresh foods and eliminating as much of the 'junk treats' works as a compromise of sorts. ; )
Thanks Kiwani. I'll have to go back and read that again. Like I said, I can't depend too much on my memory these days. :oops: I have a friend who feeds her chow Innova and she really recommended it to me, so I have heard of it before. There was just no where around here to purchase it. Had to buy it online and I hate doing that and paying the shipping charges too. Makes it kind of rough too if I happen to need some in a hurry. Junk treats he doesn't get with the exception of that junky bone I have been giving him the last 2 mornings I have left for work. He does like steamed veggies tho. I tried giving him raw baby carrots, guess that's where he drew the line. LOL He flipped it a couple of times and walked away from it. Sam on the other hand, ate it... course he eats anything.
Nancy and Tai

Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

So Kiwani... do you think the Skin Balance may help with the itchiness? Sounds like you have heard of it before. Which food the Solid Gold or the Innova would be preferable in this situation?

Thanks Debbie
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I thought Bones was because you're an old Star Trek fan... :lol: :lol: :lol:
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "So Kiwani... do you think the Skin Balance may help with the itchiness? Sounds like you have heard of it before."

---

I haven't heard of it. I looked up the formula, reviewed most of the 14 Chinese herb names, took notes as to whether they were used to 'damp fire', raise 'chi', increase 'yang', 'open' certain organs, looked at the overall picture and gave you my opinion of what the formula was attempting to do. : )

Basically it's an arsenal of detoxifiers, (including expelling parasites and worms), with an anti-inflammatory effect. It's a formula of 'I really don't know what's wrong with you, but this formula should fix *whatever* it is : )

Basically, when the omega-3's and 6's are balanced in nutrition, and when the pH is kept balanced, the body can keep up with its own detoxification - but when nutrition isn't optimal, and when chemical toxins enter the body, then the body can trap those toxins in cells.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Which food the Solid Gold or the Innova would be preferable in this situation?"
---

I would lean towards the Solid Gold, "Wolf King" formula. The 'free-range' bison would be more of an omega-3 meat source, as would the salmon meal. There is no added fat from any animal, and the formula's fat percentage is 9%.

Innova's formula is based on Turkey and Chicken, and includes chicken fat. The formula's fat percentage is 14%.

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Solid Gold is also returnable, by the way. I tried that on Zhu before he got bloat. Unfortuantely, Zhu quickly developed skin problems from it. I returned the unused portion to the pet store and they gave me credit. So, fyi if you want to try it out and it doesn't suit Bones.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Just sending this older thread back to the first page, since we're still discussing 'Bones'.