Is he undersized?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is he undersized?

Post by Hugos~ »

I checked at the vet a few days ago,she said Hugo was undersized,he is only 15kg and he's 6mo ?Is this the normal weight of a 6mos Chow puppy ?
Chow Chow named Hugo!
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is he undersized?

Post by chowkidz »

Hugo is adorable! Nanook was around 40lbs when he was 6months. He is 65lbs now at 6yrs. His daddy is a big boy and his mommy was average. Jade is only 41lbs at 9yrs. She has always been tiny and the heaviest we ever got her was 45lbs. Her parents were average to small size. What size is Hugo's parents? Did the vet say you should be concerned? If he is eating good and energetic i wouldn't be to concerned.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Coco is a girl so she should be smaller than Hugo :roll: but at 4 months, she's already nearly 12 kg. :shock:

If Hugo is healthy looking, I wouldn't worry too much I guess. :D
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Wilbur is nearly 6 months and weighs 17.5 kilos. But if Hugo has enough weight on him ie. you can't feel his ribs too easily and he's healthy, I really wouldn't worry about it. DId you see Hugo's parents? Are they big chows?

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I agree with rowlee. Ginger is a full figured gal and she weighs about 35 pounds at five monthes. We need to get her on a diet. If Hugo is eating okay and doesn't look or feel unhealthily...making up my own word...skinny to you then I wouldn't worry. He might just be a smaller sized chow.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Of course, we would have a better idea of his weigh if we had a new picture of Hugo to look at... :biggergrin:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

<<I checked at the vet a few days ago,she said Hugo was undersized,he is only 15kg and he's 6mo ?Is this the normal weight of a 6mos Chow puppy>>

As long as he is eating ok and acting fine I wouldn't worry. If he feels thin I would increase his food. I have had Chows that weighed 38lbs full grown and some that were 70lbs.

Laura
(This was my 38lb girl)