Ginger's blood tests not so good

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dolce Fortuna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ginger's blood tests not so good

Post by Dolce Fortuna »

Ginger went for her regular 6 month check-up. We found a new vet in Princeton that is Chow experienced and he and his staff did outstandingly well with her. This is the first time in her 15 years that she did not pitch a fit. She even wagged, so that is major. We really like this vet and he knew what he was talking about.

He called to tell us that we need to bring her back for sonograms and ultrasounds and more blood, and urine tests. He's worried about her liver and kidneys. To be expected being on Rimadyl for so long.

He gave us cans of Hill's k/d to feed (I fed this same diet to my old kitty Louis who had chronic kidney problems) and to cut out treats and table scraps. She has had gastrointestinal problems off and on.

her arthritis has been really bad probably because of the cold (12F last night) and I have to pick her up off the floor. she let's me know when this service is required of me.

She just messed the floor and she's so upset about it. i told her not to worry it sometimes happens and no one here is judging.

One day good next day not so good. The worst is James is out of town and his trip has been extended. She keeps looking (on the good days when she can) for him. It scares me a little because I'm afraid she's looking for him to say goodbye.

Damn, now I'm crying damn it.

i don't want to take up space here, I will post later in the Health section.

Some here may think I'm a flake for not taking Sadie & Q but my first duty is to my old girl here.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I'm sorry to hear about Ginger. Hopefully this is just a minor set back for her and she is back to her happy self soon. She may just be looking for your hubby because she doesn't feel good and wants everyone to be around to cheer her up.
ImageImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so sorry, It is so hard when they age. My first dog was a pommeranian who was paralyzed in the hind legs, If he had an accident he was so ashamed. Poor thing, I still can remember his look.. Hang in there, hopefully with dad coming home and the new food she will perk up. She knows you love her and by her behavior it sounds like she loves you too.

David
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwwww I am so sorry. Hugs to you and Miss Ginger! I know how it is when hubby is out of town and you are having to deal with all of this emotionally w/out him. I hope she gets to feeling better soon! :cry:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

My Pip is hobbling around with the cold weather, I can only imagine what poor Ginger is going through. I hope everything goes okay for you both.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Ginger's blood tests not so good

Post by chow fancier »

So sorry to hear that. You and your family are all in my prayers.

No, I don't think you are a flake, only that you have priorities and Ginger is yours now. Makes sense to me.
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

So sorry to hear that. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Please write as much as you want and keep us up to date.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I'm sorry to hear that Ginger's having problems - I truly understand the anxiety and fear you must be feeling.

My mother's dog had early stage kidney failure and we primarily avoided phosphorus. We avoided feeding him any bones, but did cook hamburger and rice for him in addition to his prescription diet food. He did well on that for many years and in fact his kidney problems cleared up and he put on weight again (he was skin and bones at one point).

It's difficult to weigh the pros and cons of giving pain meds. Kylee gets daily Deramaxx and my thought is that it's my duty to keep her as comfortable as possible - and at her age, logic dictates that she isn't going to be with me a lot longer. But it's a tough choice because we know that the meds have so many potential side effects.

Fifteen years old is a grand old age for a chow girl - Kylee gives a paw's up to her fellow oldster!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

You and Ginger are in our thoughts. I hope this new vet helps a lot, he sounds wonderful. Well, he must be if she wagged at him! Wow! :D Hugs to Ginger.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

How is Miss Ginger and her mom doing?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Has anyone heard from Dolce Fortuna? I've PM'd her but she hasn't picked up her mail. I worry that she thinks we will blame her for not taking Sadie and Q when she found out Ginger was not in good health. I would hate to think she would miss out on the wonderful support this group can provide because she is afraid we won't understand her need to take care of Ginger.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I haven't heard from her but I am worried about her and Ginger as well. When I saw this thread up higher on the list I was hoping she had posted.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)