General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dave9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Should I get a Chow Chow?

Post by Dave9 »

Hi there,

I was reading all about chow chow and chance upon this site. It is quite informative. However, i need some opinion as to if im ready for a chow chow

I have all along being interested in chow chows but all my prior dogs are small breeds..Shih tzu, maltese. Both adopted from friends whom have no time for them. Both have since gone to dog heaven. My shih tzu was with me for 16 years and the maltese for 13 before they passed on.

I live in an apartment and am away about 9-10 hrs a day and occasionally more. Both my previous companions are not formally trained... only toilet trained.:wink:

After reading quite abit, i feel the need to really put in an effort to train a chow chow formally, as in to a obedience school.

So heres my question.
1. Will the transition from small dogs to a medium size one be a shocker?

2. Do i need to go to an obedience school or could i just train them myself at a slower pace. Im not an experience trainer by any means but i truly love dogs. My utmost concern is the dog snapping at strangers/ neighbours because i live in an apartment. One of the clause is no large pets :lol: i will get away with it as long as the dog doesnt make itself a nuisance. landlord dont visit and as long as no complains from neighbours. have a neighbour with a GR but they are a gentle breed by nature.

sorry for the long thread or any mispelling. My mother tongue is not English

thanks in advance for any advise
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Should I get a Chow Chow?

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Dave9 wrote:Hi there,

I live in an apartment and am away about 9-10 hrs a day and occasionally more.
If you are considering a Chow Chow and work long hours, I would not recommend adopting a puppy. As we all know, puppies require A LOT of time and attention. I would recommend rescuing a non-puppy Chow Chow.

Dave9 wrote: So heres my question.
1. Will the transition from small dogs to a medium size one be a shocker?

I don't think it will be a shocker, but it will take some getting used to. In the end, I think you will love having a Chow Chow more than a toy breed :wink:

Dave9 wrote: 2. Do i need to go to an obedience school or could i just train them myself at a slower pace. Im not an experience trainer by any means but i truly love dogs. My utmost concern is the dog snapping at strangers/ neighbours because i live in an apartment.
Again, this is where rescuing and older Chow would come in handy. You wouldn't necessarily have to take one to obedience school (unless you wanted to, of course).
ImageImageImage
Dave9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dave9 »

Thanks for the fast response chowchow mama :D .. I do not know of anyone currently taking care of a chow chow so theres plenty questions im asking. I hope you all do not mind.

All the information i have about a chow chow's personality is from the web for dogs but non from actual owners. It makes the dog sound too much to handle but i think with a little patience and plenty of love it shldn't be a worry.

I guess i need to look for one that is smaller so it doesnt look too intimidating to the neighbours. What should I be looking out for(as in the size) if i am looking for a pup say(3-4 mths) or a rescue chow chow(1-2years) so that it wont be that big as an adult. I would assume any chowchow above 2 will be its full adult size? I understand that lady chowchow's are a tat smaller?
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Dave9 wrote:I do not know of anyone currently taking care of a chow chow so theres plenty questions im asking. I hope you all do not mind.
No one here minds being asked about our Chow Chows. It is better to ask ahead of time rather than run out, get a Chow without knowing a thing about them, and then regretting the decision and giving your Chow up.
Dave9 wrote:All the information i have about a chow chow's personality is from the web for dogs but non from actual owners. It makes the dog sound too much to handle but i think with a little patience and plenty of love it shldn't be a worry.
Chow Chows as a group, or not hard to handle. Sure, there are some who may have issues from previous bad experienced owners, but for the most part, Chows are very easy to take care of. As long as you can understand their needs and personality, they are wonderful companions. I will not have any other breed of dog! :D
Dave9 wrote:I guess i need to look for one that is smaller so it doesnt look too intimidating to the neighbours. What should I be looking out for(as in the size) if i am looking for a pup say(3-4 mths) or a rescue chow chow(1-2years) so that it wont be that big as an adult. I would assume any chowchow above 2 will be its full adult size? I understand that lady chowchow's are a tat smaller?
Yes, by 2 years old, a Chow Chow should be pretty much full grown. Female dogs of any breed usually tend to be smaller than males, but there are always exceptions. There are many female Chow Chows here who are much bigger than my male. Holden only weighs around 53 pounds and I think that makes him on the smaller side than most of the other males here.

If you get a puppy, it will be hard to determine how big he/she will be as an adult. You can guess by the size of the parents, but that is all it is... a guess.

If you are worried about what your neighbors will think, you will want to be sure to look for a dog (if you don't get a Chow Chow) who has been socialized around a lot of people. Keep in mind, though, that Chow Chows can be very reserved and aloof, anyway, so you won't necessarily have a dog who loves people as a rule. If you want a dog who is going to love anyone and everyone no questions asked, this isn't the breed for that. Again, there are exceptions, of course.

These are just my thoughts on the breed. 8)
ImageImageImage
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Our rescued chow, Loki, started out in a small apartment in New York City (he was originally rescued by our son). He was about 2 years of age. Our son works long hours and Loki was left alone much of the time. He did great...never barked, was quite well behaved. He lives with us in the suburbs now, but visits our son frequently and always does well in the small apartment. Chows are "couch potatos" and don't require a lot of stimulation.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I live in an apartment and am away about 9-10 hrs a day and occasionally more. Both my previous companions are not formally trained... only toilet trained."

IMO, that's a lot of hours of not being able to void the bladder. While smaller dogs, and other breeds can be trained to use litter boxes and pads, Chows are generally very clean indoors and won't soil their living space. Female Chows are more prone to urinary bladder infections, and should be walked more often than a 9 hour interval.

Chows also need some outdoor exercise in sunlight, in order to keep their temperament chemistry in check and in balance. They also need strong and calm leadership in their human, because they tend to be strong personalities themselves.
You need to be aware of their grooming needs in order to keep their skin healthy, and be prepared to deal with mountains of fur when they blow their coats seasonally.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Aprtment living is no problem for a Chow but Being gone 10 hours aday I wouldn't advice you to get a Chow or any breed of dog, Chows more so, a Puppy no way. get a yapper they have fun alone all day.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I agree with Jeff, wanting a dog and having time for a dog are 2 different things. I don't think you would be fair in having a dog because your schedule is so busy

dogdad
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

I'm with Dogdad and Jeff on this one. Forget it. It's not fair on the chow.

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Chow Chow

Post by Mally »

I find that you're never ready for a Chow! They are just so very different from all other breeds that no matter how much research you do you won't knwo everything :P

Chow puppies are usually quite well behaved however you Need to formally train them and need to assert your authority as the "top dog" from the very BEGINNING!

Chows usually don't really bark so apartment living is ok for them, but I am with others on the fact that 9-10 hours a day for a pup to be by themselves is too much. I work a lot too BUT I had a week off when I took Lychee in and eventhough sometimes a will be away for 9 hours my husband will be home earlier as well as I get days off from work so it kind of balances out :P

Mally
pablotx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pablotx »

Hey Dave9, I agree with the other posters on the being away for 9 to 10 hours. It can be tough on any dog. If you really want a chow I do suggest an older rescue dog. I just adopted Ginger (1 yr old) about 3 weeks ago now, and she is an absolute angel. Well, except for the fact that she still wants to eat the cat, but I digress... Chow Chows are, in my opinion, one of the best breeds. Loyal to a fault, loving of their family, and stubborn as heck (but in a good way). You'll see what I mean if you get one. Good luck!
Pablotx, aka Ginger's dad
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

Dave9, I recommend that you get a chow if you are able to commit more time. Away from home 9-10 hours a day will not equal a happy dog, I would think any dog for that matter, in an apartment.
FYI my dog Mikka of 15 years died 3 months ago and I am DYING to get another dog (chow of course), but we have put this on hold as our life has become very unsettled and I now work 10-12 hour days. But when the time is right and the circumstances permit I will get another chow bundle of love to devote my life to.
And it seems that for you this is not the right time to get a chow with your living/work situation.
Paulette
Natasha
and
Cue
Dave9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dave9 »

Thanks to all those that have posted. it really is very helpful. I will consider more thoroughly and sort out all scheduling before committing.

Hope to join all of you in having a companion chow chow.

heart is screaming for one but the brain is holding it back because i still feel i do not know enough about them yet.:D

I will try to link up with some owners and find out more.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I agree with everyone, 9-10 hours alone is hard on a dog. I have a daschund that I have had for close to ten years before I finally adopted Ginger my chow mix. There are many differences. The size is the most obvious one, it is not as easy to pick them up and keep them from things in that way. Ginger doesn't tend to be as happy sitting on top of me as Max, the dachshund. She is almost always under my feet. She was extremely easy to potty train though and knows a few tricks such as sitting and such-she only does them when she deems it necessary though. We haven't taken her to training classes and have done most of it on her own. The important thing is the socialization which should be easy living in an apartment.
Do you have someone who could come walk a dog if you got one daily?

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

First, your English is great! Second, I would
recommend getting an older rescue unless you
can take time off for training. I've always
heard about 1 hour per month of age is about how long
puppies can go before needing to go outside. Third
Chows are good for apartments because they generally
don't bark quite as much. Fourth, you might actually
find that a chow doesn't consume alot more food than