Questions on aging chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jfoster1360
Rank 0
Rank 0

Questions on aging chow

Post by jfoster1360 »

I have a 10 year old chow. She's getting cranky especially in the last year. Is this normal behavior as the chows age? The only other dog I had that got to be this age was a Pekingese and he had a totaly different temperment.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

None of our Chows ever lived to be that old so this is just my guess...

I think that most senior dogs (not just Chows) become grumpy as they get older. As long as your vet says that she is as healthy as she can be, I wouldn't worry. Just try to give her her own way as much as possible. She deserves it :wink:
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Questions on aging chow

Post by Jeff&Peks »

jfoster1360 wrote:I have a 10 year old chow. She's getting cranky especially in the last year. Is this normal behavior as the chows age? The only other dog I had that got to be this age was a Pekingese and he had a totaly different temperment.
10 isn't really that old, my Chow is a few months from 12 and she is still running around with not to many signs of aging. You might take Him/her in for a senior screening, Blood work etc. and have him checked out, all it might be is some slowing down and some acking joints.

There are Chows on here that lived way past 10 and had good lives so don't start writing him off at 10.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

As Chows go, 10 is old, though we have some here that have lived to their late teens! If she has mild hip dysplasia, which may have never been symptomatic before now, she could be in a bit of pain. Arthritis is also common in older dogs, and can cause pain that changes behavior. Much more rare, some older dogs can get a canine dementia. They will act strangely; out of character aggression and such.

A geriatric check-up would be in order to figure out if she is experiencing any of these things. When she acts out of character, make a mental note of what happened, when, and any observation that would help the vet make a diagnosis.

Of course, maybe she is just cranky from her advancing age, I know I am at times! :wink:
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

My Kody lived 14.5 years and he was never cranky in his old age. He did have arthritis and some issues the last couple of years but his temperment actually mellowed with age. I agree with the others about a thorough vet check. Chows/dogs have a very high pain tolerance so we often don't know when something is going on with them.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

All our chows lived past 10 years of age. None of them were cranky. In fact they got sweeter as they aged, but each chow is different. However, I do suggest a senior/geriatric exam at the vet. My girl, Miss Pooh Bear, is 12 and last week I had her senior blood panel done. Her blood level and T4 (thyroid) are a point below the lower end of the scale. But they think she is okay and we are giving her a nice snack of liver to help boost her system. I wouldn't have known her levels if I didn't get the panel done. Her mobility is fine so I opted out of xrays. How is your girl's eyes? Any sign of cataracts? Do you notice if there is a slight difference in her walking?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I've had three make it past ten, and none were cranky, as some of the others have said, they in fact normally mellow out a bit, become more willing to accept people, (people are good for scratches and rubbs). A senior screening that looks at enzyme levels, liver, kidney function, blood sugar and other factors is important starting at six really, to get a good baseline.

10 isn't really old for chows, they should have a lifespan in the mid-teens.

BTW even my very sick chows didn't become "cranky" I could tell they were pain and failing but their temperments got even sweeter as if they were trying to ask for more help. Arthritise will slow them down and might make them cranky however there are treatments to help with these diseases.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Jeez, I am old and getting cranky - something wrong with that?

Seriously, it sounds like something may be bothering her. My other dogs, (not chows, and that may make a difference,) were mellower as they got older.

Are there certain times or occasions when she gets crankier?
Mia
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

My first two chows both made it to 13. Tasha seemed cranky as she lost her hearing. Once we realized that she was just being startled and took pains not to surprise her the whole household relaxed a little.

I also recommend a geratric checkup.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My first chow Luna was around two when I got her. She had been neglected abused. She was with me for 10 years. She was at least 12 when I had no choice except do the logical thing. At 12 Luna wasn't able to move much, stairs were a problem but other than that she was a sweet heart till the end.

If you have stairs, maybe having to walk up and down will make a chow grumpy. Damp weather may affect the arthritis if she has any. Your chow may have a tooth ache. As everyone else said, better have the chow checked out. My chow was still pretty frisky at 10, we were still going for 1 hour walks. Traveled by car, street car, subway, buses. At 10 she still enjoyed all we did in those years, at a slower pace.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

My JR was 10 in September and other that sporting a grayer beard...he is full of pee and vinegar and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
He hikes like a trooper ..up and down hills...through the rivers and when he walks each night...he still thinks that he is at the Kentucky Derby.
He seems to think that he is still a pup.
I expect him to be around for quite few yet!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
jfoster1360
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jfoster1360 »

Thanks for the insight. We took her to the vet. Part of what made her grumpy was an ingrown dew claw - she does not like when we touch her feet let alone try to touch the dew claws. And she has a bad knee. The vet said its time put put her on senior food and to make sure she gets out to walk - it would be ideal for her to lose tweny pounds.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I'm glad nothing serious was wrong. Keep taking good care of your senior baby.
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

jfoster1360 wrote:Thanks for the insight. We took her to the vet. Part of what made her grumpy was an ingrown dew claw - she does not like when we touch her feet let alone try to touch the dew claws. And she has a bad knee. The vet said its time put put her on senior food and to make sure she gets out to walk - it would be ideal for her to lose tweny pounds.
Nice to hear there are a few good vets out there, Don't think you could have gotten better advice and no drugs included.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
vtxandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vtxandy »

Tinker lived happily with our loving day to day attention until he was past 15.

As you older, you sometimes get medical problems. Tinker had them and they cause pain. He was on Rymadil daily for 6 years and this relieved his pain.

Think about it, if you are in pain from anything.....you are grumpy. Period.

I know medications are not the highlight of topics here, but if you are in pain and suffering / becoming grumpy as a result, then pain meds and good vet care are an answer. Don't let our littel friends that conunt and rely on us to suffer because you are reluctant to offer meds. Medicationa are developed for a reason.

We will keep you in our prayers and offer good healing thought to you , your den and family. Promise!

Andy
In most loving memory of TINKER
12-4-1991 -- 12-21-2006
Our son, friend and teacher