Another Dog?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Another Dog?

Post by Wollfie »

We have had our 8 yr. old male Blue Chow, Wolfie since he was 6 weeks old. Four years ago, we introduced him to my daughters 6 week old kitten, without any problems what so ever. He “likes” other animals, just not humans very much. However, my husband has been irritatingly instant upon purchasing a 6 week old Cream Chow, “to take over when “Wolfie” dies.

I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CHOW!!!!. I want my freedom from all the grooming involved in just one dog, not to mention two, and the walking of two dogs.

Someone help me convince hubby that two Chows are twice the work, -- and – not to mention that there is a very good chance that the two would not even get along very well,
As Wolfie is a “loner”.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Sorry, no can do!

Two chows means twice as much work, twice as much food, twice as much grooming, twice as much love! :x
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I told myself my 9 year old chow mix would like a companion, so I got Lily last August. It's a mixed bag. Pip is more active from all the puppy play, but she also looks shabbier from Lily pulling her fur. Overall, Pip would have been better off without Lily, but what's done is done. If your husband is willing to do all the extra work, he might have an argument for getting another, but methinks you are the primary care giver, while husband looks on in admiration at 'his' beautiful Chow... :? ... I know that attitude from experience. Also, I would not put same *Censored Word* Chows together, as there is a higher incidence of fighting amonst same *Censored Word* Chows. I have escaped this problem(so far) but others here have not been as fortunate. Since I don't know the dynamics of your marriage, Any advice I could offer to change his mind would be next to useless. :wall: My own husband and myself do a tenuous dance when it comews to new pets. With Lily, I just told him I was getting her, unless he had a good reason why I shouldn't. He didn't.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Well, to be brutally honest, just the fact that you are so dead set against having another chow should be reason enough to not get a 2nd one. Everyone one of us here will tell you if you aren't committed, then don't do it. Let someone who truly wants this 2nd puppy, take it. Besides all the work involved in having 2 dogs, let alone 2 chows, there is the expense. Any puppy deserves to go into a home where it is truly wanted and will be taken care of, including groomed and walked and fed. There are enough abandoned/neglected chows out there the way it is. Ask Mandy how she feels right now about someone taking a chow and obviously not wanting it, after the week she has been through being a foster mom to Fancy and Leia. Ask your husband if he is committed to doing all of the grooming, walking, and training of the new chow puppy, since you obviously aren't. I lost my first chow to cancer almost 6 years ago now, and you have no idea of what I would give to NOT have the freedom of walking or grooming Sasha any longer. I can't imagine my life not having Koda now, and deep inside dread when the day comes when he is no longer with me because of the hurt, pain and depression I went through when Sasha crossed over the rainbow bridge. When you have truly loved one of these amazing creatures, you don't look forward to the freedom of not having to groom them and walk them any longer. Not to be mean, but you just have no business with another dog, let alone another chow puppy. The arguement of the 2 not getting along, isn't much of an arguement tho, especially if you get one of a different *Censored Word* than Wolfie. Yes, there is a chance that they may not get along, but there is also just as good a chance that they would get along, just fine. There are plenty on this board who have 2+ chows or 2+ chows/mixed chows, and life is good. Victory has 2 that were rescues. Sixchows had 6 at one time, and now has 5. Sure, 4 of the 6 were litter mates, but after they grow into adults, they forget that part of it and that chow instinct kicks in. What I would give to be in the position to have a little cream female chow. It is my hearts desire. And I have Koda already. So it can be done, but it takes alot of work on the owner's part to make sure the 2 learn to grow and be happy together. So please don't use that as an excuse, that just makes the chow's reputation look bad and putting the excuse off on them instead of just the fact that you are not interested in getting a 2nd chow. I know my post sounds mean, but you asked for help and I gave you plenty of good reason not to get another chow.
Nancy and Tai

Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

another dog

Post by Brisco »

I find that two Chows is more than twice the work of one. Brisco, my male is such a good dog that I was a bit spoiled. Dixie, my 10 month female is a great dog also, but raising another puppy is a bit of work. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change it for anything. Like Judy said, twice the love. Also, your first Chow may have 5 or 6 or even 7 years left??? Good luck.
No matter where you go, there you are.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "When you have truly loved one of these amazing creatures, you don't look forward to the freedom of not having to groom them and walk them any longer."

---

You keep their last hairs on the brush and put them in a special place. You put their collar with tags in your coat pocket when you go for a walk. You wish you could have been given one more day, one more hour, one more minute, one more second, before you had to say 'I love you' for the last time.

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

I have two. I wanted two. I can't imagine life now with just one. I actually don't think it's twice the work. I walk them at the same time, we all go to the pet store together, they actually play more together when chewie used to always play with us, I take them out at the same time, the eat together... they only extra thing is grooming.

BUT

I'm with nancy. If you don't want another one PLEASE don't get one. I have been fostering an "unwanted" chow and her pup and it breaks my heart to see what has happened to these wonderful dogs in their short lives. I would hate to see another chow cast aside because someone doesn't want to deal with it.

And as for the grooming... I actually love that time spent with my amazing furkids. I treasure every minute of it and wish you would do the same.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

I just wanted to say:

Nancy: that was very well said and you put into words exactly what I was thinking. No further elaboration required

Roxana & Dakota
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

I have two, and it's not two Chows. It's one Chow and one Sheperd.
So you can say it is 3 times the work of having two Chows. ;)

But I still want another Chow.
Always wanted two Chows. :inlove:
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

kiwani wrote:Re: "When you have truly loved one of these amazing creatures, you don't look forward to the freedom of not having to groom them and walk them any longer."

---

You keep their last hairs on the brush and put them in a special place. You put their collar with tags in your coat pocket when you go for a walk. You wish you could have been given one more day, one more hour, one more minute, one more second, before you had to say 'I love you' for the last time.

Amen to that! My Shadie :x (akita/gsd; to the bridge 10/03) was paralyzed in her last 5 months and I would do her 'hospice' care all over again, in a second, if given the chance!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

kiwani wrote:Re: "When you have truly loved one of these amazing creatures, you don't look forward to the freedom of not having to groom them and walk them any longer."

---

Oh Kiwani--you have nailed it right on the head, I've got tears in my eyes, I have their collars and leashes, (everyone gets their own speicial collar), I've got hair from them, (I'll have it spun one of these days) I can't imagine life without my two chows, and I will always have at least two.

It is more work, but like Judy said, it's also twice the love.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

As Kiwani says, you keep their hair in the brush and their collars. I have my little pugs rubber rings they loved and my Dane Lizzie's two little rag dollies and Ihave several of my boxer's Meggie's tennis balls. Gosh! did she love her tennis balls!

I have their leads, and their bowls and their collars and their name tabs.

Do you know what Kiwani, my secret wish - if a fairy godmother gave me a wish, I would wish that I could have each of my pets from the Happy Hunting Ground back - just for half an hour - just to tell them I love them and for another hug.

Oh! If only................. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

Judy - Thats all I wanted to add to Kiwani's post too - she said it all but...

...just one more hug...
:cry: I think I would do just about anything to have one more delicious, beautiful, old chow dog smelling hug with my Bear. I would be on the floor kneeling, he would bend his head and push it under my chin, I would put my arms around him, he would then put his head on my right shoulder and I would hug him close. After a few minutes (or seconds depending on HIS chow mood) he would switch his head to the left shoulder and we would hug until he decided the hug was over. I miss that hug so much
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CHOW!!!!. I want my freedom.

Sounds like a Dr Phil Topic, Poor wollfie, He's only 8 and your already counting the days he's got left, as Brisco said wollfie may have another 8 years left in him, If you are feeling trapped because of a chow I think you should leave and let your husband live happily ever after with wollfie and his new Chow. Who could ask for a better life.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Another Dog?

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Wollfie wrote:... my husband has been irritatingly instant upon purchasing a 6 week old Cream Chow, “to take over when “Wolfie” dies...I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CHOW!!!!. ...Someone help me convince hubby that two Chows are twice the work, -- and – not to mention that there is a very good chance that the two would not even get along very well,
As Wolfie is a “loner”.

So, I don't really understand. He wants a cream chowling now versus when Wolfie dies in say 4-5 years? Frankly, your family should cross that bridge when you get there. Just have your husband read these posts. If you can't verbally convince him YOU DON'T WANT ANOTHER CHOW, then maybe seeing it in writing might. The chances of Wolfie not getting along with another chow are 50/50. But your odds of not wanting another chow is 100. Again, let your husband read these post, especially Nancy's!

I have two and for me, they're not physically twice the trouble or hassle. Just double the expenses (food, vet and groomers). On the otherhand, the love I receive from them are double, triple, quadruple, from infinity and beyond perhaps.

Once Wolfie crosses over the bridge, it would be interesting what your real memories of him will be and what you will cherish ... I will over emphasize this... if you don't want one, don't get one. There's another heart waitting and possibly aching for the love of a chow. I've seen it first hand when a husband wanted another chow as a companion for their chow and promised to be more proactive in the new chow's maintence. But when the chowling grew up, all the responsiblity fell on the wife. It was not a pretty sight.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Thanks everyone for supporting my post. I was kind of feeling bad about the way I came across in it on my way to work this morning. But between lack of sleep (my Koda who I absolutely adore is all for getting me up an hour earlier than I have to, the past 2 mornings for some reason) and thinking about what Mandy has been through this week, and worrying about Kodie who goes in tomorrow morning to be neutered has not sat well with me, and then the original post was enough to set me off. I loved bathing and grooming Sasha when she was alive and now with Koda. I love telling them how pretty they are after they have had a bath and been brushed. I love the purple kisses... for no reason at all, just because I am loved by a chow. I love getting a big chow face in my face with a big woof telling me it's either time to get up or come play with me. The first night Koda was here with me, he started snoring on my bedroom floor. I realized how much I missed that. Sasha did that when she was alive and it was almost comforting to me know she was there next to me sleeping and keeping me protected. I love walking my chow and people telling me how beautiful they are. And to think someone is waiting for the freedom to not have to groom or walk their dog any longer, just made me ill. Kiwani is right, you save their fur, their collars and also cry when you see pictures of them and wished you'd had just a little more time to tell them how much they were loved. In June it will be 6 years that Sasha crossed the bridge, and my heart still aches for her. This past weekend I was talking to Kodie and called him Sasha... twice. It's a priviledge to be loved by a chow, and I can't imagine anyone looking forward to the freedom of not having to groom and walk any longer. I don't look forward to it, I dread it. And if you can't love a chow in the same way, then you don't need one, much less 2 of them. What I would give to be able to have a second chow, and then there is a person who has the chance to be loved by a second chow, and prefers freedom instead. How sad.
Nancy and Tai

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CHOW!!!!. I want my freedom.

Sounds like a Dr Phil Topic, Poor wollfie, He's only 8 and your already counting the days he's got left, as Brisco said wollfie may have another 8 years left in him, If you are feeling trapped because of a chow I think you should leave and let your husband live happily ever after with wollfie and his new Chow. Who could ask for a better life.
Just a short post script. I am not so sure that hubby is in any better position to have a second chow either if he is already looking for a replacement to "take over when Wolfie dies". How do you replace a chow if you have loved them the right way? Especially when the first one is still around? You can't. What is he thinking? That's a WRONG reason to want to get another chow pup. I refused to get another chow because I knew I couldn't replace my Sasha and I didn't want to go through what I went through emotionally when I lost her, again. Thank God the kids did what they did and brought this scared, timid 8 week old baby into my life last November. Koda isn't a replacement for Sasha. He's another priviledge for me to be loved by another chow. Tell ya what... go ahead, get that 6 week old cream colored chow puppy (female preferably) and send her my way. LOL
Nancy and Tai

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

First, getting another Chow to replace the one you have is the WRONG reason, and,
Second, if you bring in another Chow and your husband expects you to do all of the "maintenance" and not share the responsibility and you have problems with that - that's another reason not to bring in another Chow or any other pet into your home

Don't get another Chow. I hope you can at least enjoy Wolfie even if he lasts another 8+ years.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

In Wollfies defense, she wants freedom from the chores of grooming and walking, she never mentioned not loving her chow. I don't like picking poop up in the yard, either...my point being grooming is a bit of work, and I don't know I'd enjoy it like I do if they acted unruly. Good luck convincing the old boy against the new pup.
Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wollfie »

Thanks Auddymay, I really DO love my dog, but he definately is high maintenance.

Post by Guest »

Maybe you guys should consider a different breed under the pretense that HE takes care of it, and ONLY AFTER Wolfie is gone. A pup of any breed is going to be ALOT of work, and if you are over whelmed NOW, you will sink with two, especially a pup.
Codybear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codybear »

I know how the hubby feels. i want another. Not to replace Cody but because I have 2 young human girls, annika and abby, ages 2 and 4 and i would like for them to have a dog to grow up with. i would like them to get into the pride, love and honor that goes with owning a chow. Carry on the family tradition. I would like them to show the chow. Cody is 12 and no dog to me could ever replace him. Kiwani hit the nail on the head. Tears were in my eyes as i read her post. there is a poem in the back of the book, World of the Chow Chow, that i cant even go close to. As a fitting tribute though, I took a picture of Cody to my local tattoo artist and now i carry Cody with me forever, his smiling chow face on my right arm. Encirlced with tribal art in black and Chow Chow purple. this I believe is the chinese year of dog, which it was also when cody came into my life. We'll see what happens. At any rate, good luck with your dilemma.
Scott
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

2 chows

Post by Sharons Chows »

Our JR is 8 1/2 and we talked about getting another Chow for awhile. I wanted one, yet I didn't for all of the same reasons....2x as much work.
Well....I came home from work 7 weeks or so ago and there was an adorable red face at the door instead of the normal black one. I was upset...Alan had gone to the APL and rescued Chow # 2...our almost 4 yr old little girl, Cheyenne.
Well...it has been wonderful. JR took to her like a duck to water....my, was I suprised that MR Jealous would do that. She is no extra work at all. A bag of food just goes a bit faster now.
We went away last week for a few days and had to kennel them both. JR had been banned from his last kennel and in house sitter. He went with her to this one like a little lamb. They were soooooooooooo good at the kennel. Alan is away tonight...so I took the plunge in the cold and snow...leashed them both...and off we went for our nightly walk. They listened, they sat, no leash tangles....they were just great and walked wonderfully!
Having another soft, adorable chow body around is no trouble at all. They have been so good for each other and for us too.
Wonder what took us so long to make our single a duo!
Sharon
dasoot
Rank 0
Rank 0

2 chows

Post by dasoot »

We had no idea what we were getting into when we brought home a schnauzer puppy to join our 7 yr old chow. Yes, it turned out to be added work but well worth it all. To our surprise the puppy added life to our girl. Even though he slept in a crate, she slept next to it. All of her seperation anxiety issues disappeared. We wouldn't have given up the experience for anything, and we are convinced it added years to our girl's life.

That being said... Having dogs is a commitment. We now have one and we have our eyes open but haven't settled on who will be joining us. In some ways having two was easier. They were company for each other, playmates, and even teachers. There are definitely benifits for all.

However, I agree with most here who have posted. If you don't want another dog, for whatever reasons of your own, DONT DO IT. It will be a bone of contension in your relationship and not good for the family. You and your husband really need to be on the same page and work together to maintain a healthy household.