Zoomies & unfriendly Shitzu/Maltese

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Zoomies & unfriendly Shitzu/Maltese

Post by Rowlee »

It's official Wilbur is a zoomie chow. I just had to share with you all. He's so cute when he does them. :D

I felt a bit sorry for him on the weekend because our friends came to stay for the night with their 3 kids and their dog Cindy (Shitzu/Maltese) but Cindy did not like Wilbur and would not play with him. He was so sweet to her, trying to get her to play but she kept snarling and showing her teeth at him when he approached her. SHe didn't bite him thought. My friends were most shocked and upset because she's not done this to other dogs before. However she got bowled over by a large dog about 2 weeks ago and got a nasty fright and hasn't played with any dogs since. Do you think that's maybe why she didn't like Wilbur?

She defrosted a bit later on when we (the 4 adults) and the 3 kids were all playing with Wilbur and his toys on the back lawn, she was laying near him and then even started following him around. A little while after that they had a bit of play together with his toys. They shared the same water bowl okay though. It was really weird, it was like she wanted to join in but she wouldn't allow herself and if Wilbur approached her she didn't like it but she would approach him. Anyway, Wilbur tried a few times to play with her and then thought, bugger you, and just played with the kids instead. I was very proud of him because he didn't snarl or growl back at her once.

Then when the adults were having dinner we locked them both outside together so we could eat in peace and they "ganged up" with each other at the back door, barking at us and jumping up trying to get in.

They played a bit together in the morning again for a while but then Cindy started her snarling and growling at Wilbur again.

As I said my friends were really upset that Cindy behaved like this and I must admit I was upset too because they are really good friends of ours and we see quite a bit of each other and I want the dogs to get on so we can take Wilbur to stay at their place (they live on a property with ducks, cat, dogs, chickens etc).

Wilbur is going to puppy pre-school on Wednesday so he'll get some puppy company there but I just feel a bit upset for him.

Sabina

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

My mom has two dachshund's. They are actually offspring from mine. I took Ginger over there when I firts got her thinking it would be great socialization for her especially since I go to my mom's at least once a week and usually take max. Turns out her's were less friendly then max was (he didn't appreciate having a new dog in the house, especially not one who follows me around and trys to jump on him constantly). They wouldn't let ginger near them and were quite unfriendly to her. I haven't taken her back since. Just because they haven't been socialized properly and it isn't fair to ginger to be around them.
I don't think max is any happier with her being here but he has calmed down a bit and even occasionally plays with her. It just took time and some adjustment. We have created a safe area for him so when he doesn't feel likeplaying or being bothered he has somewhere to go and we never try and force it. You might have to do the same when you go to visit, if you visit enough I am sure they will be best friends eventually...or at east be friendlier.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

Ah...Zoomies! 8)

It might have been Cindy's bad experience and she didn't want to be hurt anymore. She might warm up a little more when she sees Wilbur more often - as you've said, she isn't like that before. She might just need a little time.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Zoomies are wonderful - such wonderful movement and I love to see the funny big chow grins on their faces. Brilliant! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

CloudeSkie wrote:Ah...Zoomies! 8)

It might have been Cindy's bad experience and she didn't want to be hurt anymore. She might warm up a little more when she sees Wilbur more often - as you've said, she isn't like that before. She might just need a little time.
I hope you're right. I really, really want them to get along. We are going to take Wilbur to visit at their place soon hopefully. Wilbur does play a bit rough because that's what he was used to at his breeder's home. He had 7 adult chows to play with.

Sabina

JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

You are probably going to think that this is a pain, what with all the guests, kids, luggage & dogs, but these two needed to go on a walk together before they were put together in the same yard, since it belonged to one of them. All the barking, teeth baring and posturing is simply territorial aggression. The shitzu is trying to claim territory from Wilbur because they haven't really been introduced on neutral turf. Even when you go to their house next time, (despite the fact that the dogs were just together at your house), when you get there take them both on a walk together before you put them in the yard. Whether or not they play and whatever the shitzu's issues are, at least territory won't be at issue. I would venture to say that over time, they may end up playing with each other the more comfortable they get.
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

JH
Thank you for that suggestion. I think that is a very good idea and that's what we'll do next time they meet.
Sabina

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

JH I couldn't agree more neutral territory first. Congrats on the zoomies

David
Vic-O
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vic-O »

So "zoomies" are when they run full-on in circles for a brief time as if their only goal is to see how fast they can run by you with a giant grin on their face and all hunkered down, right? My son loves this. He laughs histerically, and Hudson will zoom zoom zoom as long as he is laughing (or until she loses her breath). I love it. I had no idea there was a name for this!
-Victoria
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily did one just this morning. She and Pip were outside playing, and she broke into a spontaneous zoom. She ran out of my eye shot (I was in the house) and then back to Pip. She circled past Pip, then out of sight again. She did this 4 times before launching into Pip on the final round. Pip just stood and watched her like Lily was touched in the head.
feniks1507
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by feniks1507 »

simply, she is afraid of him :roll: It happens but wait a bit of time...