Resource guarding-guarding people

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Resource guarding-guarding people

Post by WildThings »

Kiwani mentioned something in another post about fearful dogs latching on to one person, building a false confidence through separation anxiety, then it eventually leading to resource guarding. As I was reading it, I'm thinking "Oh no...that describes Fiona exactly." She has an unhealthy attachment to me which is quickly moving into guarding me against other people in the house, mostly my dad and sister. Last week, I was gone for two days, she was fine staying with my mom and dad. She still was leery of my dad, but mostly just ignored him. I came back, if I'm in the room, she barks and growls at him. I was gone for a few hours last night, then again this morning, and she was back to just ignoring him when he walks through the house, but as soon as I came back, she started the bark/growl thing again.

Before this progresses any further, what can we do to work on this. I am starting a new job in a week or two where I'm going to be gone Monday-Friday, then back here on the weekends. I like to think this will be good for her because she will be spending much more time with my mom and dad, but I'm also afraid this is going to make things worse when I am home.

Any suggestions?
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I saw an epsiode of "It's me or the dog" just like this. When the man was home the dog would terrorize everyone in the house, but when he was gone the dog was fine.

She told him that he was the one who had to control the dog. The dog felt like he was the weaker one in the family so it was guarding him. She gave everyone in the house treats and the man had to vocalize the "eeet" and make the dog sit, stay and things like that as family moved around him. Basically it was all about the dog knowing that he could take care of himself and the dog..
SweetPea Rocks!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"Kiwani mentioned something in another post about fearful dogs latching on to one person, building a false confidence through separation anxiety, then it eventually leading to resource guarding. As I was reading it, I'm thinking "Oh no...that describes Fiona exactly."

It also describes Pekoe, Butters, Mr. N, and every purebred Chow on here and the rest of the world. If you read all the post to the people getting the puppy that was their concern, the Chow attaching itself to one person. Every response was yes my Chow has attached itself to one person in the house. almost every complaining thread you read about a Chow is the Chow seems to like one spouse over the other. Chow = Guard dog, bread to be a guard dog. Every person I pass on the streets has the same comment, Aren't Chows a one person Breed, they say one person dog but that's the problem People have with Chows, trying to turn a Chow into a dog, Lets get a Chow because its looks good then lets try to turn it in to a Golden retriever.

There's another thread that just started about a puppy Chow that's gets excited and barks when the owner comes home, OMG how terrible the Chow is happy and excited to see the owner but this activity can't be tolerated because of the Neighbors, what the hell, get a dog computer game instead of getting a live chow that way the dog can be turned into anything a person wants it to be.

Most be tough to have a breed that was bread to be a loyal, guarding companion that has also been posted a million times, also thrives on human interaction.

No matter how much some of you try, a Chow is a Chow, a GSD is a GSD and a Retriever is a Retriever. each breed was bread for a reason and to do a specific job in life so their not going to change unless you mix the three breeds. Every time a Chow shows one sign of being a Chow all of a sudden the Chow has breeder issue's, is lacking vitamins and supplements and needs behavior training. Every purebred on this site acts the same, there's not one that acts any differant or does anything any differant then another purebred chow. the only difference on this site between one Chow and another is one is a Mix.

Quote from Chowchowdaddy,

yes, chows are unique among all dogs. They're so much better!!!!! I cannot imagine not having a chow or two or three in my life, they're totally unlike any dog I've ever had or dealt with, they're funny and charming and sweet and cuddly and, obviously, I could go on and on.

I agree, its a Chow, Not a dog.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

That started to happen with Buddha, so I had my husband start feeding him and giving him treats (while I did nothing), and that helped almost immediately. I'm still "his person" but he doesn't growl or snap or anything when I'm sitting next to Jake on the couch or anything. I'd try that.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I agree with Kathryn- Fiona will probably not bite the hand that feeds her so to speak. So just having other members of the family especially your dad since he seems to be the one she is the hardest on feed her by hand should make a difference.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!