How to teach to retrieve

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to teach to retrieve

Post by jojasp5 »

I have a labrador retriever and a Chow Chow male. Naturally the Labrador Retriever loves to play fetch. I would like to teach my Chow Chow to retrieve as well. I've been trying to teach him and it seems as though he understands what I want him to do but it's getting him to comply that's the challenge. What do you suggest I do?

jojasp5
jojasp5
Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugos~ »

My puppy ignores the ball or toy i throw lol...
Chow Chow named Hugo!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If your Chow does not want to fetch (most don't) it is better not to force the issue. Enjoy your Labrador's ability to fetch, and leave it at that. Mine will fetch, but on her own terms, and for very short durations.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I have owned 3 chows, all of them would look at as if I were stupid when I would throw a ball. They do understand, but they don't see the point.!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
newguy18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newguy18 »

Jersey fetches it once (twice if im lucky) then just goes and gets it and lies down with it and he "scalps it" by tearing the green part off and not the plastic :lol: :lol:
Image:Thanks Sweetpea!
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

LEO would fetch once or twice, record is 6, even retrieves onto my palm things which I point to for a treat IF SHE FEEL'S LIKE IT once in a blue moon. It's not in chow's blood to fetch they don't get a kick out of it. Leave that to the retriever.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Tess will "fetch" her toys every once in a while when she's wound up, but that has to be her idea. We have tried throwing a ball outside for her, but she only chases it once, then goes in the backyard to play with it by herself.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I don't think you can "teach" your chow to fetch. He either wants to or doesn't want to. My Zhuyo and Suntzu use to "fetch" and they were great at it. But there were rules, first we never called it "fetch" that was a term for dogs. We had to ask them if they would "go get it", and they would... for the first 5 times. After that, they would stop a chow's length, hold on to the ball and make us "fetch" it from them. Eventually, they would go further and further from us so we ended up doing the fetching. Funny chows!

So, just enjoy what's built in with your Lab and leave the fetching to him/her.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

You all probably think Sid is the biggest goof of all! He LOVES it when I throw sticks, tennis balls, golf balls, socks, he loves it all. He will run after it like it was a bird, bounce around it, grab it, run full speed towards me... THEN PASS ME and toss the object into the air. If I walk up to him he will grab WHATEVER I threw and run in the opposite direction and plant himself on the ground. Then, he'll wait for me to come to him, pick it up and the whole dance starts all over again. That's in the park. At home, he throws stuff at me so I will toss it. HA HA HA HA HA
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

That's how Zhu and I would start a Soccer Match! But we would only use a big round fuzzy ball. Ah those were the days O:)