Need A Vet That Knows Chows In The Bay Area

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mnakao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need A Vet That Knows Chows In The Bay Area

Post by mnakao »

I just found this site today and it is GREAT!!! I need a good VET in the Bay Area. I reside in Hercules which is appr. 25 mins away from San Francisco. The vet I have doesn't seem to know the common problems of chows. Please recommendations would be appreciated....Thanks!!!
Best Regards,
Michael R. Nakao
Realtor/Loan Officer
http://www.mikenakao.com
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Michael,

Welcome! How far are you willing to drive?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Vallejo has a good vet office, Redwood Veterinary just off the freeway. Pekoe's Vet was there but he died so I can't say how the rest of the vets are but they have had a few Chows in there.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
mnakao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mnakao »

If the vet is good, I don't mind traveling is long as it is in the Bay Area and they are good. I'll look into Redwood Veterinary...Thanks everyone!!!
Best Regards,
Michael R. Nakao
Realtor/Loan Officer
http://www.mikenakao.com
vtxandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vtxandy »

Boy, this is an awfully late reply but I just read your request for a vet recommendation in the Bay Area.
I was searching the site for something an ran across your post.
So, here's my 2 cents.
Dr. Rick Leninger
408-779-6867
South County Animal Hospital
San Martin Ca (just south of San Jose)
May be a little far, maybe an hour for you or so, but what's an hour drive for our loved ones?

Anyways, Tinker our most prescious boy, saw Dr. Rick all 15 years and 17 days of his life. Over the course of Tinker's life he had quite a few problems. Some very serious (cancer, neurologic disorders, entropian, etc) Dr. Rick was there for us at every step. Never were we overcharged , given poor advice, or offered some unneeded procedure.

Dr. Rick is now Zen's vet 100%. Dr. Rick treated Tinker as if he were his own dog. Here's "ONE" story as testament to Dr. Rick.
Tinker had gotten a foxtail in his ear and Dr. Rick had to "knock him out" to remove it. That night at 3am on December 24th, Tinker woke us up crying in pain. I called Dr. Rick, got his exchanged service, told them the story, they called Dr. Rick. I got a call back in 10 minutes and Dr. Rick had us meet him at his office to help Tinker. Tinker was given pain pills, a shot to immediately help him and a complete "recheck" of the procedure done the previous day to make sure all was well. So, on Christmas Eve, at 3:30am, Tinker's vet went so far out of his way it's hard to describe......and by the way......no charge or fee at all. That's just ONE story. Dr Rick knows the chow breed well and he is a good man. I trust him with my son completely. So, I drive the few extra miles.

I hope God blesses you with a great vet regardless. Andy
In most loving memory of TINKER
12-4-1991 -- 12-21-2006
Our son, friend and teacher