First signs of aggression

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

yandr
Rank 0
Rank 0

First signs of aggression

Post by yandr »

Shiba is 21 months old and he was been with us for around 10 months now. By reading books and on-line resources and the helpful advice of people in this forum we have sorted out 99% of his (huge at first) behavioral problems.

Up until a month ago, Shiba had never shown aggression. I had to shave time 3 times from smaller and bigger dogs, doing the necessary kicking and bitting all by myself.

Now things have began to change. He will growl and get completely stiff. Often, he will start pushing dirt backwards with his hinder legs (my English are failing me right now, but I guess you get the point). I also see that he has 'locked on' to dogs that had barked at him in the past or attacked him.

I want a dog that can defend itself, but not an aggressive dog. So, the question is. Do I allow this behavior? Do I encourage it? Do I ignore it? What? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Yandr,
I personally would not encourage this. I had an aggressive Chow many years ago and loved the fact that I had a dog that not only could defend itself but seemed to always "win" a fight. I now have two Chows and neither one is even slightly aggressive. Actually, they don't even defend themselves when attacked by other dogs. This bothered me at first, that I had a male dog that would just let other dogs bite him and he would not fight back. I have since wised up, and discovered that it is much nicer to have a dog that I can completely trust around any other dogs we come across, it allows me and him both, much more freedom and enjoyment. I think the reason that he has never been injured is that because he doesn't fight back the other dogs don't fight as hard or aggressively. If Shiba hasn't been "fixed"/ Neutered yet this might also stop the behavior. Good luck with this.
No matter where you go, there you are.
yandr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yandr »

I can totally relate to what you are saying, however this is just a very early stage of aggression. II shouldn't even call call it aggression either, as he has never attacked any dogs (or people for that matter). He just takes some defensive measures when the other dog is aggressive.

To be honest, I want a dog that can defend itself, but no more than that. People here let Rottweiler run loose and it can be very dangerous if my dog is completely helpless. I have even seen a stray Pitbull coming towards us, but we took evasive action \:D/ .

Shiba is not fixed and I don't think we will ever do that.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I think that almost any dog will try to defend itself without encouragement. It seems extremely unusual that my "Brisco" will not. If your willing to walk that fine line between teaching him to defend himself and being a "fighter" then go ahead. By the way, Brisco has also been attacked by more than one rogue Pitbull, once again, he's never been injured. In his 4 years he's been grabbed by Akita's, Pitbulls, Boxers, Rottie's, and several other less severe breeds. There just seems to be something about the Chow that other dogs don't like. Even Dixie, my female has been attacked by a few dogs.
This is just my outlook on this, it makes no difference to me how you decide to raise your dog.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My Chow has been attacked by everything on 4 legs, yappers to GSD's, she will fight back but I agree with Brisco its best not to train to fight back, just keep doing what your doing, if your Chow is attacked then kick the attacker away. Pekoe is just Pekoe no one has trained her to fight back she just does it, I would rather she didn't because the fights are much worse and harder to break up and are very dangerous for the dogs, you and anyone else standing around. Pekoe is older now and does try to avoid the fight and try's everything she can to walk away even with the other dog biting her but she can only be pushed so far, I try to control the situation and get her out of there as fast as I can before it starts.

If your Chow is attacked and your not there I'm sure it will defend itself but if you have ever seen a Chow in a fight you have to feel sorry for the attacker, the Chow will do damage and fast, that you don't want.

Another thing is your the Chow owner, the Chow is always the bad guy no matter what unless you have 10 witnesses that will say different, if not, your Chow goes to the pound, you pay the vet bills, You and your Chow are the ones in trouble no matter who started it. Stay away from the fights and do everything you can to avoid them. Your Chow will protect itself if needed with out training.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
yandr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yandr »

To answer some previous questions, I obviously do not consider 'training' Shiba to attack. I just asked if it is better to let nature take its course or try to stop even the first signs of aggression.
Jeff&Peks wrote:...the Chow is always the bad guy no matter what unless you have 10 witnesses that will say different, if not.
I read about this a lot in this forum and let me just tell you that the perception of the breed is very much different here in Greece. It is the fluffy, cute, hairy dog for the population in this country. Only the vets have hard time coping with Chows.

Everyone else chases them for hugs and kisses! So, no problems in that department.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I just asked if it is better to let nature take its course or try to stop even the first signs of aggression."

It's normal for there to be a significant increase in territorial aggression, when a non-neutered male dog reaches the age of 2 to 3 years old. That is the age when hormones surge at *Censored Word* maturity, when the brain is fully developed, and when muscle is fully developed.

Non-neutered males try to gain mating status/higher ranking, by fighting with other non-neutered males, by kicking up the ground to spread their scent, and by performing other macho territorial displays.

This age is also a time when dogs can challenge the human's leadership. Overall, this kind of aggressive territorial behavior further escalates whenever a female dog in the general area, is in mating condition.

It's important for you to maintain leadership and control in a calm and confident manner, and to avoid confrontations and situations with other intact male dogs. You can do an online search for 'behavioral development' in dogs, to better understand this phase he's entering.
jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: aggression

Post by jojasp5 »

Referring to some books about chows and interactions with other dogs, "it seems chows have a peculiar odor, or sweet smell that aggravates other dogs".
When you take your walks I would carry a good spray repellant, preferably of the citronella type so as not to make the offending dog more aggressive.
I wouldn't worry to much about your chow in an actual fight, because chows are known to fight to the death. Please dont encourage aggressiveness though, since this can make you liable to litigation.
You also may want to try getting some good training sessions with a professional handler. They can teach you a few tricks. Good luck with your chow.
jojasp5