CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I am so happy to hear Poe's vet visit went well! I am kind of in the same situation as you are right now (being an unemployed college student just doesn't pay well :D ), but since this is such a good cause, I convinced Tess and Tacia that instead of getting new collars (which the DON'T need) that they could pull their funds together to help out Poe. Those rescue dogs have to stick together.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

LEO's mum wrote:I've got a question, I should probably ask our tax accountants. How do we go about claiming tax deduction on these tax exempt donations? We have given to charity, gone to galas at the Opera/Symphony, but we've just let it pass as we didn't know how to claim. We've only been in this country for 4 years, and tax is just sooooo complicated, it's our biggest headache for being in this country. Someone please enlighten us.
According to DH, you need to keep all the reciepts / records of monies paid to charity and you can claim on your yearly tax return (its a section on your 1040 form).... He is blonde though so no blame me if that's wrong :)
Thank you Elodie!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Thank you, Layla. You know, we never thought we'd miss the Inland Revenue until we moved here....

Sorry to hijack the thread for a while.

Now back to POE!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

LEO's mum wrote:I'm so glad Andrew is positive. He is good but he is expensive, I know, our wallet is still hurting from LEO's surgery 3m/s ago...

I've got a question, I should probably ask our tax accountants. How do we go about claiming tax deduction on these tax exempt donations? We have given to charity, gone to galas at the Opera/Symphony, but we've just let it pass as we didn't know how to claim. We've only been in this country for 4 years, and tax is just sooooo complicated, it's our biggest headache for being in this country. Someone please enlighten us.

As for Giving for Poe, Lou, when are we going to go to Pali's to sniff the Sharpei?
I'm certainly not an accountant, but I do know how to take a tax write off....Get a receipt.
If you give by Pay Pal, you can print your own receipt.
Or, you can request one from the shelter. When mailing your donation, include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of your receipt.
As for claiming the donation on your taxes...the laws for charitible contributions changed as of 2006. You must have a receipt for every penny donated. Used to, you could write off a small amount with no receipt.
Other than that, you'll be better off to call your accountant.
I hope that helped.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Thank you, Bama. My DH is worse than me. He took a day off work to just to figure out his work expences for the past 4 m/s and he hasn't finished.... I told him have every meeting in his computer diary, so that he at least knows who's he been with. For some reason, I don't think he will be doing it.... I'm a tad better than him. I can keep a record if I don't sit on it for too long, so I try not to sit on it for too long....if you know what I mean.... I need to figure out a bit more about the tax system of this country. At the moment, it just seems like charity.... At least in England, we got something back from it, like National Health, the GPs and the operation for my UTI....

Sorry, now back to Poe!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

j72 wrote:I didn't get any "notes" section to write Poe in, but there is a "Contact Us" on the Rocket Dog website, so I just wrote to them and asked them to please apply my donation toward Poe's surgery.
I did the same, hope that they don't get too many mails on the subject!!
Thank you Elodie!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Thanx everyone. I really truly appreciate it. I'll keep you apprised of his progress. Also, please forgive me if I keep bumping this up! :wink:
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Hey Jenn! If you didn't bump it I was already planning on it! I'm asking people in my neck of the woods to help out as well...
How is Poe doing? Are he and hubby getting along well?
Do you think you guys might keep him or are you still looking for a forever home for him after the surgery?
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Jenn, that is such awesome news about Poe. I will be making a donation. I'm just so happy he can be fixed, we'll just focus on that and everything else (finances) will fall into place, I know it will! [:D]
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

I was thinking...not sure if this is feasible or not, but is there any way you could contact your local paper and see if they'd be interested in running a story on Poe? Given his background and the terrible condition he was in when you took him in it would make a great story (tugs at the heartstrings). I know that whenever there's a story like that around here, especially involving animals and a donation is required, the money just pours in. Anyway, just a thought.
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

You've done amazing work with this dog and we are all grateful to you and here to help!!! :D
Where's my chow chow?
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I just made a small donation via paypal (and bumping this up again!). Bless you for taking care of Poe. The world needs more people like you. O:)
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I'm so glad Poe is doing so well and you can get him the help he needs for a healthy long life. :)
~ Sally
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Just dropped a donation for Poe in the mail. Wanted to bump you back up!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I dropped a donation into the mail yesterday. Although it's from Ming and Tempest, they made me write the check...
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Simon doesn't bother trying to make me write checks anymore.... he just steals my credit card.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Bump-de-bump-bump... \:D/
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Bump-a-lump for Poe :D
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

jump and bump.. GO POE!!! :x
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

I'd liek permission to contact the media for you. I have worked in/with media. They can help
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

This is wonderful news Jenn!!!! I am so relieved for you. I think Roxana's idea is great.

3DJ, you're so wonderful!!!! :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

3DJ, fine with me! Contact away. I don't know squat about media or how to deal with them. They always say, there's no such thing as bad publicity, so...

I would love to keep Poe. I wish he would lighten up as far as DH goes. He continues to growl at DH every time DH comes near him. It really seems to hurt DH's feelings, and Poe does it no matter how hard DH tries to be friends. That's really our biggest obstacle.

Once again, thank you to everyone who has donated. If you have donated, please pm me to let me know, and I will personally make sure you get a receipt from Rocket Dog for taxes.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

OK, I've done it thru Pay-Pal. It didn't give me a field to write in so I e-mailed Rocket Dogs w/ cc to Jenn. There was a Cocktail Party for fund raising going on tonight, but I had to give it a miss. I waited too long to go out for a walk as the pavements were still warm for my soft padded Princess :roll:

I wonder how much has been raised so far?
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Thats what I did to Leo's mum...
that is a very good question! How is it going so far Jenn?
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

LEO's mum wrote:There was a Cocktail Party for fund raising going on tonight, but I had to give it a miss. I waited too long to go out for a walk as the pavements were still warm for my soft padded Princess :roll:
Cocktail party LEO's mum, I want to go! Must tell DH to get a job with Google so I can live the cocktail life :)

Really, though, it was pretty humid today. Millie & I had to take 'refuge' in the kiddy pool :lol:
Thank you Elodie!