CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Jen,
You did the BEST YOU COULD and thats all anyone could have done. At least you tryed and you did go above and beyond what anyone else would have done. Most would have simply taken him back to where they got him from and not even tryed anything else. YOU TRYED!!!
Maybe try and rehome him with a female only as he seems to have some ISSUES with males....you can't live with a dog you can't trust. Come Back and PLEASE don't worry about it!!!!
We all understand HUGS [:D] to you!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Rescued Chows should get a minimum of 6 months to acclimate and adjust and even then it could still be dicey. She has done the best she could do and shouldn't be afraid to come and talk about it. Poe needs to go somewhere else where he is more comfortable with those around him. No telling what bad imprinting has gone on with him. I am hard on the BYB but as far as giving and flak to anybody who has out of their way to help any Chow in need, they deserve a Medal not grief.
chris

Post by chris »

Oh no. I didn't know that things did not go well after boot camp. Ahh, Jen... you did the best that you can do. Like everyone else has said, there are just some that we are not able to take on but someone else maybe. Poe may need a home with 1 woman. No men. who knows, but all you can do is what you can do. It is what it is and don't be hard on yourself about it either. Come on back here girl!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My first chow Luna was a handful. I won't go into detail. I had the advantage and knew her abusers through the foster mom. It took 2 years for me to stop her from growling at (some) men.
My present chow Mikki who changed hands 4 times like a 2nd hand car, was well behaved, polite, quiet, well mannered. She's been with me for 8 months and is now finally coming out of her shell. It's like reverse. She's boistorous now, I have caught her chasing the cats around the house, she's finally doing zoomies. All normal chow, dog behaviour. It does take some older dogs months to adjust. About Poe, I wouldn't know a solution, if I didn't have a chow already, I'd tackle the problem.
Isn't it Poe who still needs surgery on his legs?
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I agree with what everyone here has said. Jen, You've done your best and gone far above and beyond, with trying to rehabilitate Poe. It may be that he is too damaged as Judy has said. He obviously needs to be in a home with only a woman, no children and a woman who will have the right personality to handle him. Someone like Karyn, with a strong, firm personality, the physical strength to handle him and the patience to work with him over the long term.

Such a person me be difficult to find and it may be that Poe may have to be put to sleep as Judy said. It's a sad and tragic thing, but as I said in another thread when any dog is that unhappy, it is kinder to let them go.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chris

Post by chris »

I have to say this guys.. it's really bugging me. And this isn't a bash or anything like that and Jenn didn't say she was going to do this, but I don't think Poe needs to be put down. :( He just needs to find the wright fit. And from what I understand, thats what Jenn is doing..??? finding another forever home for him?
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Sounds to me like he just doesn't like MEN, doesn't it Chris?????? He didn't really have a problem with Jenn if I remember correctly????? Maybe a man was really mean to him and he hasn't forgotten it.........

Thanks Sweetpea!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Not to fuel the debate, but I agree with Chris. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but with Poe being sick and vulnerable, it seems possible to me that he might react defensively around a male human that he sees as being stronger and more threatening than a female human. I agree that he definitely needs a single human household for the time being.

I hope it doesn't come to him being put down, it just seems to depend on the right person taking him in.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

There is only one person who is to blame in the entire situation and it is the person or possibly people that made Poe what he is today. Jenn, you have done more for Poe than most people would do for a dog. So many rescue dogs come with baggage, some are able to let go of it right away, other have been through too much in their lifetime to ever let go of the past. It's not the dogs fault, it's not the rescuer or foster homes fault, the sole responsibility will always lie with the people who create the problem in the first place. Poe is definitely not the first dog I have ever heard of needing to be placed with only a female or only a male. There are single people out their looking for a dog, I'm sure the perfect home for Poe exist.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
chris

Post by chris »

Yep... I think Poe has a problem with men.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yes. Poe needs to be with a home with only a woman like I said, someone like Karyn or even me, however I know that I personally couldn't take on a chow like Poe, I have to take mine for walks and I walk by a lot of men during those walks, a chow who was hostile to them, would be a bit of a trial at this time. If I were home 24/7 and had the time to work with him, slowly and patently with his problems then I could take a chow like him on.

It's not just that he needs a home with a woman but also that the woman must have the time, patience, strength and the right environment for him. I hope that Jenn can hold out long enough for her to find such a home for Poe. I truly hope the best for everyone involved.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

He can not be an inside dog as long as there will be children or men in the home. This limits his options to a single woman that can not have visitors and I am guessing a woman Vet? If he does attack and bite, we know what the outcome will be then.
If you are open to an outside kennel then his options are much better. I personally would be open to keeping him outside and working with him but you are looking at a long rehabilitation time.

Edited to delete The Dog Whisperer for training, after looking at his training method, I don't feel it is appropriate for Chow's.
Last edited by Jeff&Vicki on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I have contacted the executives at Rocket Dog Rescue. They may or may not be aware of Poe's current state. Poe is a Rocket Dog Rescue animal who is under the temporary custody of Jennifer as his foster parent. I am sure once RDR is fully aware of Poe and Jenn's current predicament, they will help find Poe a new foster parent and will reassess his adoptability.

Thanks everyone for your concern.
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Thank You for reminding us that there is another stakeholder in this. It completely slipped my mind that this is thier decision as Poe is only with Jenn as a foster.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thanks Lou,

its about time someone stepped in and put an end to this witch Hunt, Lets see, Poe went from not liking Jenns husband to not liking any men to needing to be put to sleep, Now he's an abused killer Chow so lets make a movie about it, What ever happened to the Twilight Zone. Unbelievable. Yep its definitely the Chows welfare this Site is out to help.

If Cesar Millan AKA-the Dog Whisperer was ever ask to train a Chow, even the most trainable Chow, the Chow would put the so called dog whisperer out of Business. At least he can fool you dog people.

Poe was a foster not an adoption, someone should have been looking for a home for him months ago, He doesn't like Jenns husband ok big deal rehome him, he's not a killer, he has proven that. Pekoe growled and attacked me for 5 months when we first adopted her I couldn't go anywhere near her. it doesn't take a strong hand it takes an understanding hand and some time. Poe just needs a home not Badgering, condeming and criticiseum.. I wouldn't blame Poe if he cancelled his memebership to this site.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I don't think anybody has suggested that Poe should be put to sleep. I certainly did not.
What I did say was that sometimes a dog just cannot take anymore.
Also, sometimes the responsibility of a dog who is seriously damaged psychologically is just too much for one woman to take on. As Victory said, he is probably going to need 24/7 supervision.
I am desperately sorry about Poe's situation - I wish I could do something and as has been said the creatures who put him in this state should be hanged!
:twisted:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Poe and Pekoe are very different situations. Poe may never overcome what he has been through, but no one is saying put him down IMHO. There really are dogs of all breeds and descriptions that cannot and should not live around the general population. Having said that, much like ADD, it is over-diagnosed. The ones who are truely unredeemable are very far and few between. But they do exsist.

I am certain a man, of a certain type Poe can identify, abused him. Poe may like some men, but I bet he has a type he hates. Look at Milo- Millie's new brother. He ran up to a strange man and acted aggressive, something he had not done previously. Could it be he had a memory of someone like him that caused him pain? Quite possibly. But that does not mean he can't live with a family. It means to keep him out of situations that trigger that behavior. Just like Pekoe does with Jeff...oops, the other way around (maybe).
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I agree with what Auddy May said. Jen you are an angel for giving it your all. It isn't your fault or Poe's for that matter. I am sure he associates your husband for something that happened before. This does not mean that Poe can't be trusted around men. Just men who look like the abuser. I wish you were near, I would go visit Poe. I am sure that hopefully with your continued help he will find a home where he can fit in. I often saw dogs being advertised as prefers women, not good with children, no cats, etc. He is like all of us, We always don't fit in. I hope you are reading the responses, we are with you 100%

David
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Chows can be victims of their past, and we can only guess at a rescue's past. Sophie use to run and hide when she would hear a rough, redneck male type voice on TV... it was pitiful how she would cower and shake. But she overcame that with help, and has neither unreasonable fear or aggression towards men now. It's a learned response that can be unlearned in most cases, I think.

I was thinking about someone like Dogdad, he would probably benefit from being around a calm, non-fearful male who has experience with dogs.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Poor little Sophie!
Similarly with Mabel, she still cowers sometimes when either Fred or I clip on her leash!
Something happened to her between the ages of 6 weeks and 6 months! I don't know what - I wish I did. I suspect she was hit with a lead.
Since bringing her home when she was 6 months old, she has never so much as had a voice raised to her let alone a hand and certainly not a leash.
She is loved and knows it - but whatever is in her memory will not go.
Chows have extraordinary memories and whatever is in Poe's memory is probably there to stay.
It is heartbreaking!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Hi Everyone -

First, I'd like to say "thank you" to all of you for your kind words and support, beginning with Auddy and her starting this thread. Such an outpouring means more to me than I can say. I'm touched and moved by your warmth and concern, for both Poe and me.

Second, no one is putting Poe down. I am his foster mom. While I hoped to be his forever home, that is clearly not an option. I harbor some guilt for this, but I can't make him like my husband. As many of you observe, the damage was done well before he came to live at my house.

Jeff, I am always amused by your posts, and I think you're a smart guy, but you are EXACTLY the type of person that has made me resist posting my concerns on this site. You are clearly willing to put up with extreme behavior from a dog, and I commend you for what a good job you have done making a safe place for Pekoe. However, not all of us are in your shoes, or have your resources or resilience. I am unwilling to put my husband in danger of aggression and/or fear every single day. If that lowers your opinion of me, so be it. He's my husband. He's human and he was here first. He tried very very hard to win Poe over, and he doesn't even like dogs! I can't and won't apologize for wanting his needs met.

If there was even a trace of improvement in Poe's behavior toward DH, believe me, both of us (DH & me) would be jumping for joy. But the truth is, he is too broken to be fixed, at least by us. He needs a female household and that is what I am trying to find him.

I've come to this site looking for the wisdom of chow owners and mostly I have received it. I'm not eloquent enough to thank you properly.I appreciate the offers of help, the kind words and encouragement most of you have offered, and I won't forget it.

For those who would criticize, if you think can do better than I have, you are welcome to contact me and I will drive Poe to your house personally, so that you can demonstrate hands-on the abilities you have that are superior to mine. I choose to be part of the solution, and appreciate the input of those, and ONLY those, who would help me do what's best for Poe.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thats fine, I guess using me as an excuse as as good as any. Now maybe its time to forget about me and use the site to help Poe.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

My name is Poe, after the famous writer, Edgar Allen Poe. Once I “wandered, weak and weary”, but then I was saved by Rocket Dog Rescue!"

I am a 15 month old cream chow chow puppy. My rescuers believe I am pure bred, because I have the classic purple tongue of my breed, and I have many characteristics common in chows. In the pictures I have a very bad hair cut, but it is growing more every day and I am going to be a handsome guy before long!

Here’s what my foster mom says about me:

“Poe had a rough start in life. As a result, he bonds closely to one person, and is wary of others. He would be a great second dog, because while he is afraid of people, he LOVES other dogs. He wants nothing more than to play with them! His ideal situation would include a yard where Poe could run free and frolic in the sun. While he is too shy to ask for affection, he likes to be petted and caressed. His favorite thing in the whole world is a brand new bully stick, which will keep him entertained for hours on end. He is quiet and calm when he is in his special place (either his crate or bed.) He needs a home where he will feel safe and secure.”

If you think you have a forever place for me in your heart and in your home, where I will roam “nevermore”, please contact Jenn at jenn@rocketdogrescue.org

Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

Jenn:

Very well put! I've been there and tried for 2 years and in spite of all of our efforts, pain and changing our lifestyle, we couldn't make it work. I know I gave it 100% but I do wish that at one point when everyone was so busy giving me advice on what to do next, someone would have just cared enough about us to say "it's ok, you've done the best you could, let go and don't feel guilty".

So no advice. I wish you the best and want you to be at peace with all you've done because 100% is as good as it gets. Most people can't do what you attempted in the first place. I commend you for your big heart.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

a final comment from me

I have been working for Rocket Dog Rescue since April, when I got Poe from them. I've not meant to represent myself as operating independently of them with regard to Poe. He is my foster dog and of course I wouldn't act in any way without speaking to the other volunteers first. They know all about my situation with Poe, since I speak with one or more of them every day!

Jeff, I didn't mean to seem as though I was blaming anything on you. I only meant to point out that you have strong feelings and opinions, and sometimes that can be intimidating. I'm sorry if I seem like a nutter...it's born of frustration and sadness at the situation, but I've not meant to take it out on anyone else.

Thank you again, one and all, for your good wishes and encouragement. I appreciate the separate and collective wisdom you bring to this most special of sites!