CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

GOOD LUCK!!! Got everything crossed for ya :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

V I B E SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

You'll have to let us know right away! :) Best of luck and all my thoughts!! :)
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

We are keeping our fingers & paws crossed for a great homecoming!

Best of Luck!!

Bear Hug & Purple Kisses from Big Baby Leonora
Big Hug from moi!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts.... good thoughts..................
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

fingers crossed

Dogdad
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Sending lots of good thoughts...

Give Poe a big kiss from us.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

Oh my, I didn't even see this yesterday.... Sending good thoughts and Steel, Roxi and I have everything crossed as well!!!!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

We're sending ALL our good thoughts and vibes to you guys! I can't wait to hear how it goes!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

May the force be with you....
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I crossed JR's and Cheyenne's toes for you.

Let us know!!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

We're home!

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Ok....so the short version is...we're back home and right this minute everything is fine. We've all been asleep most of the day since we got back from picking up Poe at Boot Camp, mostly because I think it was stressful for all of us. But we've lived through to fight another day!

The Cats (or "Minions of Satan", as DH calls them) are less than thrilled to see Poe, but tough turkey.

We arrived at Shamrock Ranch this morning at 11:30a.
Lisa, the trainer, gave us a 90 minute "What-to-do-now" session, which was terrific. Her theory is that with a dog as scaredy as Poe is, control will be his best friend. That means on a leash at all times,even inside, with one of us holding it. Or if that isn't possible, she wants him tethered nearby his bed, which is now his special place (we've done away with the crate for now, so that he can't hide in it.)

DH went with Lisa to get Poe. He didn't jump for joy when he saw DH, but he didn't growl either (I know...low bar, but I'll take it!) I waited for them in the office while DH walked Poe on his leash right past me! It was awesome to see. Poe healed nicely, turned with DH, and then I watched with DH as he instructed Poe to sit...and Poe DID IT!!!

Then Lisa came to get me...and Poe hid...BEHIND DH!!!! I can't even say I was upset by this, I was thrilled. Of course, once I got closer and he could smell me he realized who I was and wagged his tail. Then we walked, and he healed for me. Let me tell you, this is a far cry from the Haul, Stop & Trip method he trained me on before we enrolled him in school(Poe wold haul me about 5 ft., stopped for no apparent reason, and then I would trip over him!)

He was great in the car on the way home, sniffing, and looking out the window, just trying to figure it all out. He's had dinner, and seems very relaxed. I can hardly believe he's the same dog.

Thank you for your happy thoughts for us today. We're off to a very solid start, which is all I could have asked for. Let's hope my little man Poe keeps up the good work!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

That is such good NEWS!!! I've been online most of the day waitint to hear! I'm SO happy for you!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

That is great news, Jenn!!! I'm proud of Poe for surviving Boot Camp and thankful that you and your hubby care for him so much that you are taking him in your care again.

BTW, I hope you don't mind my mentioning this... Poe's Boot Camp was provided by Rocket Dog Rescue. It's something they offer for fosters. So, please keep RDR in your list of donations throughout the year.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Icky chow fur

Post by zingara_princepessa »

So we came home from Boot Camp today and I'm a little bit concerned about Poe's coat.

First, it seems as though it should be fuller by now. I got him in April, and he had been shaved bald. The fur on his head and feet is growing, but he still has only the littlest bit of fuzz between his neck and his tail.

Second, the teensy hair that he DOES have on his torso feels brittle and dried out.

Third, (and this is strange)...he appears to have no undercoat on his upper body!

The trainer told me sometimes the brittleness is caused by hypothyroidism. Does anyone have any experience with this syndrome? I'm going to take him to get a blood test, but I'm curious if you all have any info or ideas.

As always, thanx!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm so glad you are all reunited. Get some rest! I'm glad it went well, hugs to Poe.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so glad things turned out well

David
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

YEA!!! Thats Great News!! \:D/
Good Job Poe!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

That's amazing! CONGRATS!! I'm so happy for you!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I am happy to hear that all is well with you and Poe.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Oh, I'm so happy to hear this. I hope it continues and he can stay with you guys after all!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

My male is hypothroid and takes medication daily for it. One of the classic signs is the fur and sign. They usually have dark spots on their skin or skin problems. The hair is sparse and I would think that if shaved down it would have a hard time coming back in. Also, interesting enough is that agression is also a classic sign of this disease along with many others. Google in canine hypothroid and up with come tons of information. I've researched it high and low. The only sign my male had was he was over weight and his fur was getting sparse especially on the tail. He was always tired, more so then the average chow but not agressive, thank goodness.

If he does have it, it's very manageable with medication and the meds are very inexpensive. You could see remarkable results within 3 weeks of taking the meds. Get the blood test done as soon as possible. This could solve alot of his problems.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

SOrry to hear about Poe's fur. I had Millie trimmed to about 3/4" in April & her fur's almost 2 inches now. So I gues that I'm trying to say yes, it should've grown more :roll:

Millie had full thyroid testing as she was borderline in a full blood panel. Thankfully she's ok.

Best of health to Mr Poe, xx
Thank you Elodie!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

[:D] \:D/ Go poe
Thank you Elodie!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well done Poe! =D= =D= [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

When we first found Tess many years ago, her coat was in horrible condition. We didn't have to shave her, but we had to cut into it in many places, she was matted...and after a month or two, she lost a huge amount of her coat, almost the entire undercoat. It took almost a year to two years for her to get a nice, thick, full health coat after that. I think she had just had such awful nutrition (if any) her entire life that it just took that long for her to get back on track. I also know with shaving (from experience unfortunately) when they are shaved down to the skin, it takes a really, really long time to grow back. My dad and younger sister a few years ago shaved behind Tess's ears because of matting (yes it could have been brushed out, but that's a whole different story). That was done in September or October...it was probably late spring before she actually started having significant hair regrowth. This may be true with Poe...between the shave and the poor nutrition before he came to you, it may just take a really long time.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh