CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I'll get a total as quick as I can, and post it. I know all of you have been most generous, and once again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Saving the price of a Stamp for Jenn...

Contributions of Less Than $250

For each cash contribution that is less than $250, you must keep one of the following.

1. A canceled check, or a legible and readable account statement that shows:

a) if payment was by check-the check number, amount, date posted, and to whom paid

b) if payment was by Electronic Funds Transfer-the amount, date posted and to whome paid, or

c) if payment was charged to a credit card-the amount, transaction date, and to whom paid.

2. A receipt (or a letter or other written communication) from the charitable organization showing the name of the organization, the date of the contribution, nad hte amount of the contribution

3. Other reliable written records that include the information described in (2). Records may be considered reliable if they were made at or near the time of the contribution, were regularly kept by you, or if, in the case of small donations, you have buttons, emblems, or other tokens, that are regularly given to persons making small cash contributions.

So... if you made a donation to our beloved Poe that is under $250 you can simply print out your Pay Pal receipt for your taxes since it has the name of the charity on it.
Or, if you paid by a check, just save the cancelled check for your taxes...
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Poe's mommy.....Did you get my PM about contacting the media?
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

Hey Jen, I just give my donated to Poe. I email Rocket Dog to let them know the money is for you. Good Luck

Anita
Aslanchow
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Any news on how Poe's fund is coming along? Mainly just to bump though :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Poe Post

Hi Kids -

I've not filled you in for a long time and I apologize. Rocket Dog, the rescue that saved my sweetie dog, has me running wild. Note to self: never again mention to an over-worked, understaffed non-profit that you are currently unemployed and would "love to help out." D'oh!

We collected about $650 for Poe's surgery from this site. You folks totally rock, and I thank you wholeheartedly once again. The dough is waiting in an account for us to find a surgeon. We went for a diagnosis to Dr. Sams, who is great but who is the Rolls Royce of surgeons. Currently I'm doing research to find a Cadillac or a Lexus surgeon! I'm also looking into grant money to supplement what we've been able to raise so far.

That's where we are. Poe continues to growl at DH, so now DH growls back. Poe will take a treat from DH, and DH pets him regularly, but his first response to DH remains the growling. He is a chow...go figure.

Poe's been around lots of other dogs now that I've been spending so much time working for RDR, and he loves other pups! He's not enchanted with people, and will still hide behind me if they approach. He did let my aunt (who has 3 Bassett hounds) give him a treat and he took it. This was a huge step! My aunt is a very "dog" person, so he could probably sense it.

All in all, I think he's doing so much better by comparison to when he arrived. His hair is growing in slowly but surely. I took him to have his glands extracted, and he behaved like a champ in the tub with the groomer lady. He surprises me every day with something new, and it's a pleasure to watch his personality shine through his fears.

Thank you. CC.org, for indulging this foster mommy's silly bragging!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Great news! Hopefully you can find a good surgeon a little cheaper. I am glad to hear that you husband just growls back now. That is funny. I actually do that to mine when he growls at me (yes he does it every so often to try and test me, but not to worry I always win) BUt he gives me the funniest look.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

How funny, growling back. Maybe Poe will stop once he figures out your DH isn't going to give in to his whims. I'm glad to hear he's doing so well with you.
~ Sally
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

It's Ming and Tempest and we're both so happy that Poe is doing better. We emptied our chow-y banks for him and hope that it helps!!!!! :D
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Cool to hear about Poe. I was thinking about him the other day. THanks for updating us & keep up the bragging :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Sounds like Poe Chow is making great progress. Congratulations to you all! =D=

It may be a long shot, but is there any chance of getting the vet school at UC Davis interested in his case? They might have some docs who could help out, and it's not all that far from the Bay area.

As for the growling back at the growler, it works with kids, too. I'm not really a kid person, so when my almost grand-daughter was about two, and having a screaming tantrum about being strapped in her car seat one day, I let out a matching (louder) screech. She stopped in mid-scream and gave me a look I'll never forget. It was something like a two-year-old version of "OK, your not buying this, are you?" :lol:
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Jerry-O.....You just helped me find my smile (I am afraid I had misplaced it this afternoon :shock: )
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jer -

You are SO smart (for a conservative!) to think of Davis!

US Davis is actually one of the places I'm shopping Poe's case. They might be interested in letting a vet student do the surgery (supervised, of course.) I would be so fine with that.

The only trouble is it's tough to get anyone to return phone calls there. I'm sure it's because they are so busy. But I'm determined that this little guy will have two sturdy legs one day, so I keep calling. :D

I L-O-V-E the screaming back at a child thing. I'm gonna try it with my brother's whiny kid. Ugh! (I'm also not a kid person. Who would have a kid when you can own a perfectly fine dog? I don't get it at ALL.)
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

You are SO smart (for a conservative!)
Thanks Jenn, I'll take that as a high compliment (considering the source). :lol: As Churchill (Sir Winston, not Ward) said, "If you're not a Liberal at 20, you don't have a heart. If you're not a Conservative at 50, you don't have a brain." I'm not so much a conservative as a rationalist. If something doesn't make sense in an overall picture, my BS alarm goes off uncontrollably.

I don't know if the same technique works on whineing kids, but it's worth a try. A lady I used to work with had a great trick for older kids with tantrums. Her spoiled nephew started into one while she was keeping him.
She said, "Are you going to throw a tantrum?"
"Yes" he said.
"Well, I don't have time to catch it right now. You need to throw it in about an hour. I can catch it then, OK"
He agreed to wait, since there is obviously no point in throwing a perfectly good tantrum when there is nobody there to catch it. :lol:
In an hour, she came back and said, "OK, you can throw your tantrum now." By then he couldn't really get worked up for it even with her encouraging him. :lol:
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

It's great to here Poe is doing well (of course except for the obvious). I hope you can find a slightly less expensive vet. Poe seems like he is becoming a very well adjusted dog, it usually just takes the right person to help.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Poe's Woes

Hi Everyone -

I've been scarce because I'm having trouble with the Poe-dog and I haven't wanted to report on his being naughty. Alas, I finally must.

First, he is not interested, in any form or fashion, in being friends with DH. About 2 weeks ago it came to a head when he ran out of the crate, charged DH, and bit his hand. No reason, no provocation. Just charged him. DH was merely standing in the living room talking to me.

As a result of this, I have enrolled Poe in Doggie Boot Camp at Shamrock Ranch in Pacifica. The trainer there, Lisa, is well respected in this area. Poe is there for a minimum of three weeks and possibly longer.

Lisa says that if Poe hasn't bonded with DH by now, he isn't going to. This means I will be unable to keep him. I can't ask my husband to put up with the constant growling, teeth barring, and unprovoked attacks. This puts me in a position to look for a new home for Poe, which makes me very sad. When Boot Camp is over, he'll come back with us and we will begin searching for a new forever home for him.

I am not by any means giving up on Poe. I continue to fund raise for his leg to be fixed, and will continue to do so until it happens (once again, I thank you for those of you who sent donations toward this endeavor...I am adding what I raise to your generous contributions!) I've also just today found out about 3 new ortho surgeons, so my research into one we can afford continues.

So there you have it. I am choosing DH over Poe, as I must. I didn't want it to be like this, nor did DH...he very much wanted to participate in Poe's furry little life. Poe ain't having it. :(
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am sorry to hear that. You have done such a great job with Poe. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he will have a change of heart regarding DH when he gets back from boot camp. If he doesn't, I am sure you will do an excellent job of finding him a great home. Tension isn't good for Poe either so by finding him a new home, hopefully it will be one where he can relax too.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so sorry to hear this, please ask your dh for a bit more time, have you had him feed Poe, give Poe snacks, that may help in him not seeing your dh as an enemy

dogdad
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

This IS really sad!! :( I know a LITTLE of what you're feeling, remember when I posted about Sid's "growl and snap" and my Dad? Well, it only happened once but my Mom told me that if he did it again he would not be allowed over there anymore. WELL, NOW, every time Sid is over there my Dad will get a handful of food, ask Sid to "sit" and give him one kibble at a time, my Dad also just walks around the house, with the food in his hand, and let's Sid follow him around the house for a while then asks Sid to "sit" and gives him more. It really IS helping Sid bond to my Dad. He even got Sid to follow him into their kitchen, which Sid REFUSES to go because my Mom is so loud (clangs pots and pans and stuff)..
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'm sorry to hear this. But unfortunately this is a problem that can happen with rescues. You never know what they have experienced and with chows the memories they have of any kind of abuse or people who did the abusing are life long and generate behaviors that are life long. My mom's MingToy was afraid of sneezes his entire life that and men in dark coverall type clothing. (these are the only people he ever growled at in his life) We figured that there was a man at the pet store MingToy was at that was allergic and would tease him, he was 2-4 months old when this occured he lived to be nearly 15 and would to the very last run and hide when someone sneezed.

Better to find Poe a forever home without a man in it, so he doesn't continue to act out this way, which will only reinforce the behavior.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Aw, I'm so sorry. It must really break DH heart to know Poe doesn't like him. I'm sure its like Victory says it's not your DH so much as a memory of someone looking like, sounding like, your DH. I'll keep your family in my thoughts.
~ Sally
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanx, everyone.

David.....I stopped feeding Poe at all, letting DH feed him every single meal. Poe will barely take a treat from DH. Most often, DH must drop the treat near Poe. I've tried everything that's been recommended to me, and it hasn't worked.

And I want you guys to be right: I'm crossing my fingers that Poe will be better once he's back from training. I just can't get my hopes up, though, because the trainer is the one who said she doesn't think he'll ever bond with DH since he hasn't already.

Cross your fingers, you guys. I am going to be really super sad if I have to find him a new place. I'll do it but I won't like it. :(
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Whether Poe stays with you or finds a home that is less stressful for him, you still have given him more than what many people could or would. Rescue dogs are funny things. Some dogs are able to let go of their past quickly, other dogs have more trouble moving on. It is really sad that any living thing should have to go through that, no living being deserves that. I'm happy you are able to do what you can for Poe, if your home is not the right on, I am sure the perfect home is out there.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Private Poe coming home from the trenches

DH & I are going to pick Poe up tomorrow (saturday) from Boot Camp training. The trainer and I have decided that DH should be the first one to see Poe, and we're crossing our fingers the dog reacts in a positive way (I'm hoping that BOTH of them react in a positive way!)

Please send positive vibes out to the universe for us tomorrow. I really really want this to go well.

Thanx, you guys!!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Good thoughts to you guys and Poe. Fingers crossed for a happy reunion!
Sandy
Owned by Sophie