CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

That is such good news, Jenn! \:D/
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Excellent! Did the trainer give a clue how long the post training will likely be? You guys are great to keep trying with him!
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

You and your DH are just amazing....making this commitment and following in every way imaginable. The future can't hold anything but good times for you and for Poe!!!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Well Done to All of You!!!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I've made a vet appointment for tomorrow morning, just to be safe. Thanks for all the info. As usual, this site is invaluable!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I'm glad to here Poe is doing well. I hope his training can help him learn to trust you and your husband.

Best wishes Poe!
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I know what's happened has already happened (and, please, Poe, be the good boy we all know you can be!!!!!) but I wanted to write anyway. Actually, Ming and Tempest insisted I write and wish you all the best luck in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by April »

Good luck and only good thought out to you!! :D
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Just saw this post.
I hope Poe is doing ok.
My chowangel, Foxy had hypothyroidism. It was easily managed with a daily dose of synthetic thyroid in tablet form.

Keep us posted.

Purple kisses to you and Poe!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Poe's blood panel came back A-Ok, so no thyroid issues (he tested in the mid range.)

Maybe it's just going to take a long time for it to grow back. Or maybe his fur is just like he is....too frightened to grow...<sigh>
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Glad to hear Poe is well. I guess it just takes a very very long time if it's shaved to the skin??? How are things with Poe & DH?
Thank you Elodie!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Poe is worse than before he went to training. He was ok for the first two days back but now he's resumed the teeth baring and growling. It's so bad that I had to take Poe to my dad's for the week to give DH a break. Poe loves Orso, and of course, hate my dad. But at least there he can play in backyard and get some fresh air.

I'm not going to be able to keep him, and it's really breaking our hearts. I have to find him a home and I don't know who will take him, he has so many issues. I've been afraid to write about it on this board because I know so many people disapprove of rehoming a chow. I just don't see the alternative. I can't ask DH to put up with the threat of being bitten every single day.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You did all you could- yours is no disgrace. He will more than likely need a home with only females. Keep us apprised of Poe's journey, we will not be letting anyone attack you for trying to save Poe. That would just be mean-spirited and wrong, IMO.
Auddymay

Fear of the Membership

Post by Auddymay »

As you all know, Jenn (zingara princepessa) took on Poe, an abused rescue. She got him home and found him aggressive toward her husband, no matter what he did to bond. They sent him to boot camp, and he was fine...for a couple days. He has reverted back to being aggressive toward her DH and also does the same thing toward Jenn's dad, who is keeping him for awhile (Poe likes Orso).

Jenn has not been forthcoming, because she fears she will be bashed by some of our members. I have assured her this will not happen, since we all know he was damaged before ever meeting Poe. Still, she is sensitive to Poe's plight, and feels she has let him down, which is not the case. She will need to rehome him, or find a foster that can cater to his special needs. Poe is an example of a difficult case in rescue, given his physical and emotional damage. Any help our membership can offer, or suggestions of where he can be rehomed would be great. What she does not need is a rally to try harder, she has tried hard already, and just is not equipt to handle Poe's aggression.

Thank you in advance.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I thought that Poe was in Jenn's foster care - not adopted. I think she and her DH have given it their best effort for Poe. We don't know what happened to Poe but at least Jenn and DH tried to help this foster. Between Jenn's advice and the rescue, maybe they can get Poe into an environment (foster or adoption) that Poe is most comfortable with. The poor guy has been through so much - let's just get him into a home that works for him.

No one should fear coming to cc.org and getting bashed after having made so much effort to help rescue and foster. Unfortunately, some members go over the edge with extreme personal criticism.

Jenn - thank you for trying to help Poe!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

I just want to second what Karen said. Jenn did the best she possibly could, you can't ask for more than that. I know this must be hard for you Jenn.
Hugs to you. [:D]
Roxana
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Yes, Jenn has done a great job as a foster! We would like to be able to take them all in, but sometimes it's in the chow's best interest to go to a home that is less stressful for them. Think where he would be if she had not stepped up to the plate. She was at the right place at the right time, and didn't hesitate.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Oh Jenn! Come back... That's what this site is for!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Now this is just what I have been afraid of - people not being able to tell what is happening for fear of getting tongue-lashed by some people on the site! :?
Jenn has tried the very best she can and sometimes a dog just cannot be helped.
She has tried so hard with Poe and even though I am probably going to be tongue-lashed for this, sometimes, just sometimes, it is better for a dog to be put to sleep. Better for the dog and better for people.
I am not saying this is the instance in Poe's case.
But Jenn must not be criticised for what she is going to do. i.e. rehome him.
It is easy for people to chops on about what should, could, aught or must be done. I would suggest that everybody should thing about the old Red Indian proverb:-

"Never pass judgement on another person's actions until you have walked one moon in his moccassins!"
(or words to that effect).

So to Jen, please come back. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

From the very beginning she said that this was not permanent...
I know we were all hoping it would be, but more than anything we're all just happy that she put her everything into saving him and that he is going to have a wonderful life now because of her! :-)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I think Jenn went above and boyond trying to help this poor chow.

It's easier to critisize than to come up with a solution. Jenn shouldn't be afraid to post here, that's what it's about chows needing help,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I agree with Judy sometimes we are all a bit too brutal and we do scare members away. Jen did everything she could and more. Some dogs and people can't let go of the past. I hope Jen knows that the vast majority of us are here to support and not to bash

David
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Judy Fox wrote:Jenn has tried the very best she can and sometimes a dog just cannot be helped.
She has tried so hard with Poe and even though I am probably going to be tongue-lashed for this, sometimes, just sometimes, it is better for a dog to be put to sleep. Better for the dog and better for people.
I am not saying this is the instance in Poe's case.
But Jenn must not be criticised for what she is going to do. i.e. rehome him.
Judy,
It is sad to say but we all must face the facts, we can't save them all. Whether it is from bad breeding or from abuse from ignorant people some can't overcome what is in them. This is a case where it would be dangerous to put Poe in an environment with children and he won't accept men. I don't know what alternatives there are but Jenn and her husband went above what most normal families could have.
If someone feels they can do better then they need to step up and take him, not sit at home and cast judgement. Jenn, you did as much as you could for him and I for one am proud of you for taking on an impossible job.

Jeff
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Jen,

I don't think anyone who has followed this story will
think anything, except how hard Jenn and her husband have tried to "reform" Poe.
The risk Jenn and her husband have taken with Poe is far and above what most people, including "professionals" would have done.
Chows have a great memory, and sadly someone abused this poor chow so badly, he's not forgetting it.
He will need a special home......
Jenn, and I will try to help you re-home him.
I think that is what we all can do here...
help Jenn and her husband find a home for Poe.
Why don't you go ahead and post him under chows needing a home, along with photos. Give all the details, so we all can see the same info. This will give us a base from which to start the search.
I think you will see that the members here @ cc.org will rally behind you and Poe.
Hugs to you.....you gave it your best. (((hugs)))

Sherill
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

[:D] Jen. I felt exactly the same way when I had to give Java back. It broke my heart as I loved that boy but he'd hurt Millie and was growling at DH. I couldn't risk it getting worse. I only posted about it as LEO's mum was so supportive, I was similarly concerned about reactions. You saved Poe & that was amazing, you're a star for that alone. Please come back :(
Thank you Elodie!