Hip/back legs problems

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Leadboiler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hip/back legs problems

Post by Leadboiler »

Hello everyone. I am taking care of a friends ChowChow and she has recently developed problems with her hind legs. She limps slightly and when I brush her back there it sets off a nervous reaction and one ot the other legs starts to rapidly jiggle about. She will do this voluntarily as well. She seems to be have discomfort crouching to pee and has been like this a couple of weeks. Appàrently the vet has said it is not the dreaded hip dysplesia (?) and said that with rest she should recover but I don't see an improvement. She is wont to jump off a low wall every now and again (not too high) and I am taking care that she doesn't do this any more but am a little concerned. It looks like she could do with seeing a quiropracter to me but then I don't know a great deal about dogs.. any ideas much appreciated.
Michael Pearson
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Welcome to the site. You seem to be a very caring chow-sitter. :D We'll do our best to help.
I don't know how long you are chow-sitting and how much you are able to do for her medically. It appears like her humans have had her to the vet with this condition, yes?
Sounds like you are describing tremors in her hind legs, most likely a neurological problem, possibly a subluxation of a vertabrae, or even epilectic seizures.
Regardless, I would not allow her to jump at all..
NO JUMPING.
In the meantime, when she is having a tremor, can you observe if her pupils are dialating? Does she seem disoriented during and shortly after these tremors.
Can you get her attention in the middle of a tremor?
What does she do with the rest of her body during a tremor?
Answers to these questions can help to discern if she is having seizures. Do the tremors occur more often when she is anxious and/or excited?
These are notes you'll want to make in helping a vet give her a diagnosis. If this condition has worsened while in your care, I would contact her humans and then get her to a vet.
Until you know more, I would avoid brushing her backside.
I wouldn't upset her in any way until the cause of her medical problem is known.
Bottom line...if the vet only told her humans, what the problem is NOT, then they need to pursue the problem until they find out what the problem IS.
If this is left in your hands, bless you. I hope for the best.
Please keep us posted.

Sher
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Have the vet x-ray the dog and check for spondylosis, it's fairly common in Chows.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Leadboiler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Leadboiler »

Very many thanks for your kind replies. Her pupils do not dilate when she has this tremor and she is not at all disorientated during or after them. I can set off the tremor quite easily by stroking her between her upper thigh and body..she does this herself when having a scratch. I definately have not let her jump and take her on a very short walk every day to let her do what she has to do. Otherwise she seems perfectly happy. It's almost like she has a funny bone down there that sets her off..the condition is now around 3 weeks old I imagine :(
Michael Pearson
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Leadboiler,

Just checking back to see if all is going well with your chowsitting?
Has the chowgirl doing?

The spondylosis that Sam is talking about is just bony spurs along the vertabrae, that in many cases can be surgically removed. The bone spurs cause pain, lameness, and mucsle weakness. You did mention a "limp"?
However, it's going to take a trip to the vet to get this one figured out. Obviously, she does need help, especially since she has demonstrated pain to the touch.
Keep us posted.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Leadboiler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Leadboiler »

Thank you for the concern... I left for England at the beginning of July and only got back to Spain a few weeks ago finding my computer had more or less blown up. Glad to say 'puter up and running again but more inportantly the hip problem cleared up too altho she is very sensitive still around there when I brush her altho not in pain.. will mention it to the vet this afternoon when I take her in to see what the current problem could be.
Michael Pearson
alisonwynona
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hip/back legs problems

Post by alisonwynona »

My chow's legs have turned inward and the paws are outward, He limps a lot on both legs, and the vet and orthopedic surgeon said surgery would be a temporary fix because his condition is genetic. He is one year old today, and this started when he was about 5 months old. The vet said he would eventually have to be put down (very depressing). Anyone else has a dog with this problem? Any suggestions?