Chows, Chews, Flipping and Body Slamming!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows, Chews, Flipping and Body Slamming!!!

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Hi quick one. Firstly happy new year to all. My chows have a weird habit with chews and I have never seen another dog do this. Holly used to do it but not just gets down to eating them but Max..well I'll explain. If I give him a chew, he trots into the lounge, chew in mouth big smile, and flips it up in the air. Now Im not talking six inches up, Im saying 12 feet in all direction! This thing ends up like a weapon. My Christmas cards are like bowling pins at the moment. He then runs over to his fallen friend and proceeds to try and body slam the thing into the floor. At least 20 times before re-flipping it and so on and so forth. Its really funny. Holly used to do it before we got Max, but had never done it with him there so it seems weird that they have both flipped things (this includes my new Xmas gloves :x ) but Max has never seen Holly doing it.

Anyone else had this one?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Happy Chow New Year,

http://chowchow.at/images/prosit2006.jpg

All of my Chows have exhibited the "flipping prey" behavior. If you've never seen Chows hunt in snow, they will first tip their ear to the ground, dive in, and in less than a second pull out a rodent, flipping it high in the air, and 'dance' around it. They will repeatedly flip small prey as a way of killing it. They do the same in piles of autumn leaves. Since it's an innate prey drive behavior, they'll also "flip" food items, toys, Yorkshire Terriers, etc.

In the Chow's ancestral Arctic homelands, lemmings formed great populations and were a food supply.
All the Chows that I've shared my life with, were great mousers.
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

lmao ,
they'll also "flip" food items, toys, Yorkshire Terriers, etc.
thats good one.... :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes - well Mabel does not deal with Yorshire Terriers, she can flip Hector, a Standard Schnauzer with no problem!! :lol: :roll:

(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Max and Maha have never shown the flipping behavior. Mei-Mei, whom we rescued from a park last October has. When we first rescued her last October, she would take her treats and toys and toss/flip/shake them all over the place. When the item had sufficiently died, she began the chew and destroy phase of the operation. It was so funny to see! Now she follows Mahayana's lead and retires under the dining room table to enjoy her toys and treats. Ahhhhh..... so nice when your wild teen begins to act like the lady she is! LOL

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
adamcj-5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by adamcj-5 »

Boo just flipped Schnitzel, a weiner dog. Millie flips her piggies ears.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chows, Chews, Flipping and Body Slamming!!!

Post by SWANCIN »

dannyoconnor430 wrote:Hi quick one. Firstly happy new year to all. My chows have a weird habit with chews and I have never seen another dog do this. Holly used to do it but not just gets down to eating them but Max..well I'll explain. If I give him a chew, he trots into the lounge, chew in mouth big smile, and flips it up in the air. Now Im not talking six inches up, Im saying 12 feet in all direction! This thing ends up like a weapon. My Christmas cards are like bowling pins at the moment. He then runs over to his fallen friend and proceeds to try and body slam the thing into the floor. At least 20 times before re-flipping it and so on and so forth. Its really funny. Holly used to do it before we got Max, but had never done it with him there so it seems weird that they have both flipped things (this includes my new Xmas gloves :x ) but Max has never seen Holly doing it.

Anyone else had this one?
Kodi's a 'flipper' too! Does this with her soft toys, not treats though. She'll walk in the direction of the toybox and if it strikes her fancy to play at that very second, she'll quickly grab at the closest one and flip it hard across the floor! Too cute!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Joe & Robin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe & Robin »

Bear and Mai Tai are "flippers" too. We call this part of their "energy burst". They run around the house then back and forth then grab a toy and flip it high in the air and then body slam it shoulder first and wrestle it in their mouths on their backs - legs in the air while twisting their hind end back and forth. It is quite entertaining although sometimes we're afraid they will get hurt. I keep telling Robin I am going to get a video of this little act and send it ot one of those funniest video shows. But you just never know when it's going to happen.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh is a toy flipper. She will toss it quite high then pounce on it to flip it up again. But she also likes to make them squeak. Her favorite use to be a Santa toy that would sing a Christmas song if squeezed just right. She has squeezed it to death so to speak - it can't sing anymore. She has a football now that says "The kick is up and it's good!" followed by the sound of ref's whistle. She holds it in her mouth and bites and bites until she can make it talk.
Mr. doesn't find toys very entertaining. He did go after the hedge hog this Xmas but I think it was because he thought it was real. :wink:
Karen
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Boy, I feel left out. LOL Sasha was never a flipper, and thus far, Koda doesn't flip. But then again, he's probably afraid to.... if he lets something go, Sam is right there to rake it away from him. Tonight both got their very first piggie ears. We gave Koda and Sam each one.... Sam just about inhaled his and went after Koda's. <shaking head> Sam ended up getting half of Koda's. Boy do I see food aggression coming on if this keeps up. :(
Nancy and Tai

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow flings her bones around too. Until I read this about the prey I thought it was just playing.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Coco like to flip toys too, usually he only does it when I go to bed and he is in the mood to play. He will flip a toy up on the bed and if I don't throw it back he will jump on the bed to get it and will keep throwing it at me until I agree to play :lol: most of the time it is really amusing and I will play for a few minutes until he gets bored and moves on to something else. Some mornings though I wake up with Coco walking all over me in my bed and my son throwing toys at me. They both get a big kick out of waking me up this way grr
wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrat »

just about every dog Ive ever had does the flip toy,chew thing but our new girl loves the body slam full on charge and POW she can get pretty good height too about 4 feet or so
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

All my Chows have done the flip thing with toys, they also bat them around like a cat does. Darkwind and Firesong do it and then they'll steal the toys from each other and then one will try to body slam the other. It's silly. They don't play tug-a-war like other dogs do, they do more of a snatch and steal thing.

And all of my chows have been excellent mousers, squirrelers, bird dogs and any-other-little-varmint-too-stupid-to-run-when the chows are around.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
bearlee36
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bearlee36 »

my chow does it with almost everything hes mad he rubs his face on the floor sticks his butt up in the air then grabs whatever hes playing with (this could be anything from food to toys ) i thought there was something wrong with him at first but hes just a nutcase.

i've added a couple of pictures of him to the other post take a look and you'll see what i mean about him rubbing his face in stuff when hes playing.