Duck's don't get wet! (Bathing help)

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Duck's don't get wet! (Bathing help)

Post by Widabeck »

Whoever said ducks don't get wet obviously never tried to give a chow a bath.

Holly really only gets stinky every few months. So last night I tried to give her a bath, I filled the tub with water, threw buckets upon buckets of water over here, scrubbed her up and got her out to find out that yet again, she was almost completely dry under her top layer of fur.

Any tips on giving a bath?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I use a shower head with the changeable settings. I use the toughest setting and hold it on him until I get him wet all the way through. It seems to break through the fur barrier better than a blanket of water.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

I don't have one. Maybe I'll have to drive her to my mom's for a bath and use hers.

My husband says use the garden hose but I think that's too cold.
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Yep, what Tjordan said.
I had to get one specifically for that purpose, because NOTHING would get thru, with that shower head I can just put it right up on him and its like a SUPER SOAKER! As you can imagine, he just loves it. NOT!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Garden hose would be too cold. Holly would probably fight more.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i have a little shower head that pushes over the facuet in the bath tub , i use that in the winter , an important accesory is a hair screen for the tub , tons of hair come out in bath .
But in the summer it is a yard bath with the hose , Not to cold , i have a sprinkler head with a shutoff on it
http://www.petsmart.com images
,Image

still takes a long time to wet down , , i like the little hand brush things with rubber fingers ,
like this Imageor this Image

best place to bath in at a waist level bathing station, some places you can rent one by the hour , its nice with the high bathing station and high spped blowdryer , ,,

i'd do an outside bath , i remember old chyno [ the biter] first time i bathed him my wife [ this was before we married] was on the phone to her mother , the chow howled so mom said whats he doing to that dog , then the chow broke loose during the rinsing and there was a fun game of run past and get hosed down untill a complete rinse was deemed ..[Image
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I got a special shower attachment for dog washing on the net as well. Pretty cheap & very very effective. Nothing else gets though Millie's fur :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

I use a speial shower head my dad found for me. I also have a bathroom in my basement just for my dogs.The bathtub is about waist high so i dont have to worry about bending over,i got a specail dryer thats works awesome blows the dead hair right off them ! Then i have my grooming table and arm. Takes me about 2 hours to bath and dry them. Then the brushing and trimming nails is after they have a break.Kimba hates her baths but Zues loves his. Kimba is getting better she doesn't cry and howl anymore, and she hates geting her face dried.