Allergies?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Monkeybucks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Allergies?

Post by Monkeybucks »

Hi! I'm new to the forum, so I hope this isn't a silly question or anything. :)

I've been wanting a dog for years, and recently I've become obsessed with Chow Chows! My problem is though, that I have some allergies. I'm allergic to cats, and possibly rabbits (I'm not sure if it is their fur, or the hay in their hutch, as I'm pretty sure I have hayfever as well :( ). My piano teacher has a Chow Chow (such a lovely tempered dog, part of the reason I've fallen in love with them!) and I never experience any allergies at her house. Then again, I never see any of her Chows fur around, so maybe she just keeps the house exceptionally clean. And I'm only ever there for a little over half an hour.

Do you think it's likely I would be allergic to a Chow Chow? I don't spend much time around dogs, so I'm unsure!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

A sure test for allergies, and maybe even Chow compatability, is to ask your piano teacher for an introduction to her Chow! Explain why you want to meet her baby, and she could probably tell you all kinds of things about the Chow Chow. There are many things to consider besides allergies when adopting a Chow. Her well behaved Chow is never around, or sits nicely at a distance because it doesn't care for people, except it's own. Is this type of aloofness something you could adjust to as well?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I have read that people are sometimes allergic to chows even thought they are not allergic to dogs. And that people who are allergic to dogs are not always allergic to chows.

This seems to be true in my mothers case. She is highly allergic to cats and most dogs. But Butters being in the house doesn't seem to bother her allergies. GO Figure.!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

To add further, allergies can be controlled by medications. I would rather take 10 shots a day than give up my furkids!!
(really I think its only like 1 shot a month, or daily pills :lol: )
~ Sally
shandilady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shandilady »

I take several pills and a shot once in awhile but I'm allergic to more than my furkids. All the pets stay in the house and I am still alive. Don't always breath well but would not have it any other way. Unless they come up with the perfect cure for allergies that involved keeping my fuzzies.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Usually it isn't the hair but the dander that gets people. That is why the Bichon Frise (sp?) is popular among those who have allergies as they don't give off the dander that most are allergic too.

But like Auddymay said, there is more to consider when choosing a Chow then allergies(certainly that is a big one though).
Monkeybucks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Monkeybucks »

Thanks for you help everyone! Are the medications you take allergy ones, or just general hayfever medication?

Actually I have met her dog :) It's really not aloof, except for maybe at the start when it didn't know me. Now it always comes over for a pet, and just generally to sniff me, haha! I've also been around Chows as a kid, because a friend and I used to visit a family that owned two, and they were also very nice. :) So it's not like I haven't been around any. :D
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I am allergic to EVERYTHING!! If I do yard work I have to wear one of those respirator thingies that painters wear. When I'm done I have to immediately jump in the shower or I will itch for days. If I'm around a cat, within 20 minutes I can't breath and my eyes well shut! I groom Sid every day, fur a flurry and I do not sneeze. I am NOT allergic to Sid. hahaha, good thing! Just got home from the park and I'm itching like crazy and sneezing. (grass).. *sigh*..

I actually take Chloritimiten? It's over the counter and I only take the 4mg because that's what my DR suggested. (I have reactions to most allergy medicine, makes my heart palpitate! jeeeeeez!!

I would ask your DR what he/she suggests. :)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I am allergic to fumes, dogs, cats, horses and evergreens. My allergist said to get rid of my cats. I never went back to see him again. That was years ago and in the meanwhile most of my cats died. Rather than listen to the silly doc I went out and adopted my chow Luna.
For the allergies I take the Benedryl the vet recommended. My doc says it's o.k. for me to take.

I keep the pets out of the bedroom, wear a mask when I change the kitty litter. I seem to cope allright.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI