Entropian surgery for Jasmine

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Entropian surgery for Jasmine

Post by Salandra »

At the vets today for Peanuts check up I asked Doc Eric about Jazzys eyes, and the cost involved.

So, he basically said it's a pain in the backside to do the whole shaving the eye area etc, and what he does is use a laser scope.
He said it leaves a very clean cut, needs only 2 stitches per eye, and no overnight stay.
He even said depending on the dog, sometimes they don't need the e-collar but he'd probably put one on Jaz anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this procedure. It doesn't sound like the same type surgery as what the Chows on here with entropian usually have.
~ Sally
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

its called tacking by what your explaining !! My pup Zues just had it done, its to help prevent it so they dont have to have eye surgery down the road, the vet took the stitches out of his one eye a couple days ago !! It looks great, but left the other eye for another week or so !!
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

The first vet we took Cabo wanted to do the surgery. We went and got a second opinion - he didn't need it. PLease note that the surgery without the need will alter the face of your chow. Cabo had an ulcer on his eye and they temp tacked his lid for a few weeks - the ulcer healded and no further eye issues.

It might be worth it to find a puppy opthomologist in your area. That's what we did.
Mommy to Cabo
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Salandra just curious what did you find out about this procedure, is it better? I had never heard of it either so I just wanted to see what is going to happen?
SweetPea Rocks!!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

TJ, from what I understand, rather than using a scalpel to cut the incision, he uses a laser to make the cut. He says its a cleaner cut, and the hair around the eyes don't need to be shaved off as much as with a scalpel incision. I might be wrong on the "2" stitches, he said 'just a couple stitches and done'

He says its an all day surgery, in at 8am and out after 4pm but no overnight stay. I haven't set an appointment yet, and I will definitely go in and talk to him more before I do. I have absolute trust in him. He's been watching Jasmine's eyes since I got her. I actually got her from a rescue he works with.

Once I set an appointment I'll post what I find out.
~ Sally
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well, it sounds less invasive at least. Good luck and keep us posted.
SweetPea Rocks!!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

kitcat had laser surgery done for Leo's entropian and was VERY pleased with the result.
It was very non-invasive and the overall experience was great. Minor discomfort and itching, and he was better in no time!
I'm sure she would be happy to give you more info, just PM her.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

That's the surgery that Millie had, very expensive but totally worth it it my opinion. Millie had the laser & Iso and was looking great when I got her that afternoon. She only had a little section of fur underher eyes shaved & was pretty comfy straight away post op. We kept the e-collar on as she's a monkey about rubbing her eyes & I really wanted it to be the last op she need for her eyes. Millie also had the puppy tacking done as a younger pup to allow her face to grow enough. It kept her comfy & prevented any damage to her eyes whilst she grew.
Let me know if you want more info :D
Thank you Elodie!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Thanks for the info Layla. Sounds like thats the only kind he does. He is an amazing vet as far as I'm concerned. VERY expensive, but I think well worth it for Jazzy and Peanut.

Hopefully this will be soon. I don't want Jazzys eyes to get worse or her corneas scratched.
~ Sally
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

My understanding is that the laser surgery (tacking) can be done if the entropian is not too severe.
A severe case of entropian needs the shaving prep.
Then, excess lower lid is cut and stitches are sewn all across the lower lid. Healing time is longer than tacking.
Tacking is done a lot on younger furkids, as they will possibly need another entropian surgery as their heads grow larger.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!