Sand in fur.....

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sand in fur.....

Post by Layla »

Calling all those poeple who take their chows to the beach post all the great pics & make me think that I should do the same.....

Millie's fur is more like sand than fur right now. How do I get this out? We were on the beach for about 4 hours, she swam, ran, played with other dogs, rolled in holes etc so the sand is truely worked into her undercoat. I've rinsed her, shampoo'd, rinsed & rinsed etc but I can STILL see grains of it..... Any tips?
Thank you Elodie!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Just me then.... :?
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

How does it feel to talk to yourself. Have you tried blowing it out with a strong hair dyer set to cool, I suggested that for a rice problem, don't know if it worked.

Just giving him a bath and washing it out or taking a hose and rinsing him off should work, Pekoe has been to the beach alot, won't go near the water but she shakes it all out.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Haven't had Jaz at a beach since she was 4 months old. I'd get her home and give her a bath and she was fine. Don't know how it would be now, she has a lot of fur. :(
~ Sally
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

It's pretty normal for me thanks Jeff.

I've washed her etc, I think it must be 'cause she swam & rolled in the wet sand. I was hoping for another option that bathing her again. I'll try the dryer again.
Thank you Elodie!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Okay, I was looking at the beach pictures the other day and wondered the same thing. I know how difficult it can be to get sand out of my hair, I cannot imagine how you would get it out of a dog.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh